Advice needed about my 1000W LED Full spectrum light

BeerBottle

Good day fellow growers.

I recently got a 1000W Full spectrum LED grow light for my first indoor grow. My Questions:

1) Does it really emit 1000W as stated (only paid R1600 for it)  or is the actual wattage much lower? If so, how do i find out what the actual wattage is?

2) How far should i place them from my plants?

Kind regards

I am a noob so cant answer question one as i have the same light i think, but question 2 I can give my advice.

When i first put up the light i had it about cm away from plant. This burned the leaves. It is now 60cm away and plants seem to be doing much better. There are alot of helpfull articles or posts on this Forum. and the ladies and gents are keen to help.

• Like 1

@MentalYeti Thank you for your response. I will go check out other related posts. It is weird that the manufacter stated the light should be 1.5 - 2m above plants. I have mine set at 100cm above plants, it is great to hear your plants are doing better. Thanks for the advice.
I guess it largely depends on your grow space and a few other things. I don't have a huge spot to grow in. And the light was kinda gifted to me. So we live and learn. Good luck with the grow.
Also if I could raise mine to 100 I would have also.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Extremely unlikely it's 1000w.
Best would be to hook up a multimeter to it and check the volts & amps and calculate the wattage that way.

If I had to guess I'd say it draws between 120-250W
I'd probably keep it around 30-60cm above the. Canopy depending on the power and the type of LED's used.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@PsyCLown Man it sucks to hear i have been ripped off. This is the link i used when i bought it: https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=PLID53771740

Thanka i will lower my light to 60cm. Do you think i will be able to succesfully grow my first cannibis with this light alone? Are there any other lights you would reccomend that is in the same price range? 

Edited by BeerBottle

@PsyCLown Man it sucks to hear i have been ripped off. This is the link i used when i bought it: https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=PLID53771740
Thanka i will lower my light to 60cm. Do you think i will be able to succesfully grow my first cannibis with this light alone? Are there any other lights you would reccomend that is in the same price range? 
You have not been ripped off per say, a 1000w light will cost way more and in a small area will probably burn your plants or not even fit.

For that price, stick to what you have and save up for some better quality LED's, your current ones will work fine for your grow I'm sure.

• Like 1

What colour is the light? 

The add says it's full spectrum... So it should be a cool white or warm white colour when it's on. 

If it's a blurple light, it's prob not full spectrum. 

Run some tests though... Maybe the manufacturer used some decent diodes and you hit a luck... 

Start a grow diary and let's see what happens! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BeerBottle said:

@CreX Thanks bud. The light is pink/blue ish when it is on. Don't know if it should be that way? How do i run the tests ( i dont have or know what testing equipment to use ) . I will post a grow diary now 👍

By the sounds of it it might not be full spectrum. 

Do you have/ know how to use a multimeter? 

For basic lux measurements you can get a lux meter on your phone... Doesn't really give you accurate readings, but it does help with light placing and stuff

• Like 2

@MentalYeti Lol! Same,my grow area is also about 1 square meter. Is there any way that you could maby test the wattage of the light since we have the same one. Only if you have a multimeter ortherwise no stress bud. 
I will ask my neighbor if he has one. And report back. I think the light will be fine for the space. But we will both have to LST the plant or it will outgrow the area. I don't have a hell of a lot of hight either. Less that 1.5m.

100 x 10W LED DIODES
5900 Lumens
IP33
Power Output 100W
Light cover area 15m2
Size 34.5 x 23 x10.7 cm
1.5kg
Warm Light 3500k
Yellow Light 600nm
Blue light 450 nm
Red light 660 nm
Infrared 720 nm
Uv 400nm

The type of diodes make a world's difference when it comes to growing with LED's.

Also LED's are seldom run at their max power handling as their efficiency drops, you get diminished returns after a certain point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ydt Thank you for the information buddy. So the good news for me is that it is a full spectrum light, but the bad news is that it only has a 100W output? 

Does the output increase since the light i have has 10W chips instead of 3W chips?

@PsyCLown Thank you very much. How do i check what type of diodes the manufacturer used? I really appreciate all the advice and replies!

• Like 1

I say keep the light and use it for now, it'll work fine. Yes you do get better lights but for what you paid for it, it's fine.

Save up and I'd suggest getting some quantum boards with Samsung diodes when you're able to afford them. Imo they're some of the best value for money LED's available currently.

Excellent performance and efficiency, combine it with a high efficiency Meanwell driver / power supply and you've got yourself a superb light which will last quite a while.

• Like 3

Why use takealot to buy a grow light??? You could've asked on the forum if anyone knew of a special or even get advise to not have used takealot. It probably sounds like I don't like takealot..........

You could've spend that cash on a complete 600w HPS grow light, but you most probably want to go LED.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Tbh for R1600 you could get a ballast,hps and mh bulb.R1600 for a true "100w" seems a rip off to me
R1600 for 100w of proper LED's isn't terrible actually.

The issue with HID is the electricity is going to make you cry aswl we'll as heat in summer, you'll need an aircon and that's further going to wreck your electricity bill.

Although HID is dirt cheap for a starter grow. It also requires quite a bit of height, so no good for a smaller confined space.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The issue with HID is the electricity is going to make you cry as well as heat in summer, you'll need an aircon and that's further going to wreck your electricity bill.

Very true BUT in my case, when used HID I was able to fully open my cab and have a fan blowing directly into cab allowing me to co down the area. I had measures in place for all that issues but not everyone is allowed to have a open grow cab in their home.

But it makes sense to go the LED route, but rather take route more traveled than the less traveled ones that lead past takealot etc...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Good day fellow growers.

I recently got a 1000W Full spectrum LED grow light for my first indoor grow. My Questions:

1) Does it really emit 1000W as stated (only paid R1600 for it)  or is the actual wattage much lower? If so, how do i find out what the actual wattage is?

2) How far should i place them from my plants?

Kind regards

How is it going with your LED? I'm very keen to get your opinion.