Teas, Teas, Teas!!!

CreX

Loving this thread, think I am hooked, also doing a weekly brew. Need to build myself a vortex brewer as well. Busy making some LAB serum at the moment, looking forward to using it, might also try it out for personal health.

Where are you sourcing your humic acid from and granules or liquid mix?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Breadinator said:

Loving this thread, think I am hooked, also doing a weekly brew. Need to build myself a vortex brewer as well. Busy making some LAB serum at the moment, looking forward to using it, might also try it out for personal health.

Where are you sourcing your humic acid from and granules or liquid mix?

I like the liquid from green thumb, but the granules are pretty cheap and it's the same thing for the most part. 

Nice!! I need to eventually get around to making some.... My ladies love it when I give them alil milk to their diet... And I rate that's mostly part to the proteins... I like the results best from off milk, the more off, the better lol and that is due to some bacteria action happening partial lab brews hehe..

The ideas for tea's on this thread are awesome.
Been slacking a bit with my brews of late, but I got inspired by the posts here.
Was pulling nightshift and went for a ramble in a patch of coastal forest, found some good samples(with visible mycelium) for a brew.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

The ideas for tea's on this thread are awesome.emoji16.png
Been slacking a bit with my brews of late, but I got inspired by the posts here.
Was pulling nightshift and went for a ramble in a patch of coastal forest, found some good samples(with visible mycelium) for a brew.

Excellent!! That's the good stuff right there!! 

I smell the soils I like to use... I like to think I'm able to smell if it's bacteria Dom or fungi Dom... 

The fungi one is easy.... The soil will smell like earthy mushrooms 

And the bacteria one I'm still figuring out... But I do know that less mushroom smell is an indication, as well as the... Musty earthy smell... It must smell like dank soil samples! 

Hit us up with the results! 

To be brutal but not hurtful 🙏 I have not yet found a pre packed soil that I like the smell of enough to use it in my teas... 

Most have a very weak earthy smell... Just cannabis smelt the closest, but it looked like it was packed with slow release ferts so I didn't use it

@CreX started my first brew lastnight with some worm castings, compost, soil from the garden, mycoroot, molasses and explogrow. 

I had a look at some of the roots on my plants, especially one that seemed to have slowed down,  and I think I might have a problem. Is this the start of that brown slime? 

IMG_20200108_083134_386.thumb.jpg.82e7cf879939aef669841b75e2b231a0.jpg

IMG_20200108_083054_050.thumb.jpg.03a2d769e6b7761166f87bf8a4f45b33.jpg

I will use the tea I'm busy brewing with this plant and see if the roots improve.

1 hour ago, SmokeyZero said:

@CreX started my first brew lastnight with some worm castings, compost, soil from the garden, mycoroot, molasses and explogrow. 

I had a look at some of the roots on my plants, especially one that seemed to have slowed down,  and I think I might have a problem. Is this the start of that brown slime? 

I will use the tea I'm busy brewing with this plant and see if the roots improve.

Not sure that's a problem at the moment... You still have decent new root tips and growth. I have found that teas make the roots go browner and not at all appealing to be honest... But I really couldn't care when the performance is great 😁

@CreX happy days then,  still using the tea on her when its done. I have been doing some research on Heisenberg tea and seems like people have far better results and less stress than running a sterile operation, I must say it was a hassle cleaning everything like I did,  now I'm going a new route and this should be a nice learning curve.

Just to make sure,  in this bucket I'm using the Part A & B powder nutrients from Growguru, do I keep everything the same and just add the tea to the nutrient solution or must the tea go into a new Res with clean water only? Not sure if the Nutes will kill the bennies

Edited by SmokeyZero

2 minutes ago, SmokeyZero said:

@CreX happy days then,  still using the tea on her when its done. I have been doing some research on Heisenberg tea and seems like people have far better results and less stress than running a sterile operation, I must say it was a hassle cleaning everything like I did,  now I'm going a new route and this should be a nice learning curve.

Just to make sure,  in this bucket I'm using the Part A & B powder nutrients from Growguru, do I keep everything the same and just add the tea to the nutrient solution or must the tea go into a new Res with clean water only? Not sure if the Nutes will kill the bennies

There is a lot of controversy about this. 

I used to take into account, but kept making the mistake of putting the tea in the fresh res with the fresh nutes!! 

Turns out it's not that much of a mistake... I have never noticed any negative reactions or a foul stench from my res or anything bad... Only good. 

There is some truth to the other half of the story, but it only applies if you have stupidly high EC, standard 1 to 2 EC is not a stress. 

As for the cleaning... You will be surprised at how clean the res stays... I cannot remember the last time I had to actually wash a res... I literally just rinse the bucket with fresh water and then start adding my sat water and nutes and tea. 

And remember, tea is not a nutrient source... I mean... It has a few... But you shouldn't count it in your feeding due to the small doses you give the plant. 

I mean at full strength, EC might be 0.3, 

But when you take 200ml and put it into 50 000mls res water, it really is almost a drop in the ocean. 

After they have innoculated the roots, the plant will begin to dump carbohydrates into the water that the microbes feed on to stay alive, or in soil they would start breaking down the nutes and feed on that or also the additional carbs from the plant

In a few days you will notice an off white slime develop on your air tubing... This is the mycorrhizal fungi colonizing everything. It's not really slimy... But it's not to be confused with cyanobacteria which is a darker brown slime... And is slimey

Excellent!! That's the good stuff right there!! 
I smell the soils I like to use... I like to think I'm able to smell if it's bacteria Dom or fungi Dom... 
The fungi one is easy.... The soil will smell like earthy mushrooms 
And the bacteria one I'm still figuring out... But I do know that less mushroom smell is an indication, as well as the... Musty earthy smell... It must smell like dank soil samples! 
Hit us up with the results! 
To be brutal but not hurtful I have not yet found a pre packed soil that I like the smell of enough to use it in my teas... 
Most have a very weak earthy smell... Just cannabis smelt the closest, but it looked like it was packed with slow release ferts so I didn't use it

Defs fungi dom samples, she's brewing allready. Liked the ''smell'' story. People always look at me funny when I open the bags a grab a handfull, feel and smell it....hahaha.
Never used commercial soils ''out or the bag'' in my teas, as I believe they are pretty sterile.
Give them a month or two cooking with garden compost, manure and multiple aact innoculations, that's another story.

• Agree 1

Smokey.
Did a bit of research as I've had a similar root growth situation on some of my plants.
That looks like root nematode galls.
Certain nematodes can be beneficial, but other species are bad for your plants and it seems they can survive in a watery environment ie. hydro.
I haven't found a solution for my problem yet, need to do some more digging.

@Bospatrollie2 @CreX  yes that white stuff is perlite the blue circle, the stuff I was concerned about is the red circle, Its look more brown and slimy than what the photo show.

Capture.thumb.JPG.dd9b119b3ddfd11b6293da329e55a33f.JPG 

And here we go, my tea is completed, hopefully it look right? smells like fresh rain forest floor.

photo_2020-01-10_08-54-15.thumb.jpg.a87d3fe8bf044edac58a2f36f7e7ef18.jpg

682051777_photo_2020-01-10_08-54-16(2).thumb.jpg.482d63f664e42928178a95815fc26667.jpg

I hope the 2.5 hours load shedding we had while brewing the tea will not effect it negatively?

I gave the ladies some this morning before work and took some pictures of their roots and also their leaves to be able to compare in a few days from now. I have two clones from the same mother in the DWC system and gave 1 the tea and one will go without tea.

• Like 1

Sweet!! 

Keen to see the results! 

The loadshedding can affect the tea negatively, but it's not the end of the world... The more important factor would be the use of water that has been left to sit for a few days as fresh tap water will kill all the microbes and make your tea smell like actual shit. 

Rainforest is good! 

Did you use it all? If not how are you storing the extra tea? 

I find storing it in the fridge really prolongs the teas life, but I got into trouble the one day when the bottle leaked in the fridge... Lol I never heard the end of it, so now I use the whole amount, any excess I chuck in my outside garden to also benifit... Or offer it to others who might want a splash

Eish @SmokeyZero buddy that's root rot. What system you growing in?

It's still pushing white roots so you can fight this. Spray roots down with garden hose. All the loose decaying stuff should fall out. Then mix a bucket of water with some peroxide and place roots in their for a short soak. After this you going to have to try and keep res temps down with ice etc. Atleast till you can't see any root slime which is the 1st sign of root rot.

@Mambawana its in DWC, each plant have their own bucket, this was one of the plants that seemed to have slowed down and showing signs of leave clawing all on the new growth.

Probably due to the warm weather we had last  2 weeks and I could not really leave the one side of the garage open as we had contractors working at home. 

I did clean the roots with clean water but did not try the peroxide yet,  i gave this lady a good dose of tea this morning, i guess she will be offered up in the name of science and will only receive teas from here on. 

I want to try the tea route as i am tired of trying to keep everything super clean and sterile which obviously isn't working out to well 

10 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Eish @SmokeyZero buddy that's root rot. What system you growing in?

It's still pushing white roots so you can fight this. Spray roots down with garden hose. All the loose decaying stuff should fall out. Then mix a bucket of water with some peroxide and place roots in their for a short soak. After this you going to have to try and keep res temps down with ice etc. Atleast till you can't see any root slime which is the 1st sign of root rot.

LOL slow down bro beans, he has the tea. Give it a few days and he should be fine. 

Trust in the power of microbes!! 

I have been in his shoes and root rot is sad bad news... But with the tea, it's all win Win win. 

He has a control plant so let's see the difference in a few days. 

28 minutes ago, CreX said:

Oh, I just wanted to find out why there is perlite in the res? 

Did this plant not start life in DWC? 

She was a clone that i did not have space for so I left her in the bubble cloner a tad to long, you can see the net pot is broken at the bottom where i had to cut the pot to wiggle the roots through, only thing i had to fill the net pot was perlite :-blazed. i know not the best choice but it works.

The tea i did have some left over and put it into a clean 2 lt bottle and into the fridge :sillyass , expecting a call or msg later about not having any of my "stuff" in the house, especially if it looks like its been fermenting. (Wife had bad luck opening wrong container and smelling)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CreX said:

@MambawanaI felt like the turtle in finding Nemo when Merlin freaks out when the turtles kid falls out of the EAC now now...

Let's see how Lil Smokey does solo😏😜😂

We got his back if shit goes south. 

If you the turtle who's Marlin and who's dory?

Well bru I just gave my input from experience with root rot, it doesn't need to be used. If it's possible to fight root rot with just teas then im really interested in learning from this.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CreX said:

LOL slow down bro beans, he has the tea. Give it a few days and he should be fine. 

Trust in the power of microbes!! 

I have been in his shoes and root rot is sad bad news... But with the tea, it's all win Win win. 

He has a control plant so let's see the difference in a few days. 

I will definitely want to see this approach work, might sway me back to rdwc in one of my rooms without the expensive ass water chiller that I thought I definitely needed on a multiple site.

• Like 1