Teas, Teas, Teas!!!

CreX

@Mambawana i appreciate your input and that would have been my first option as it was what i was reading on the net to do before i asked @CreX for some advice,  i try to keep my DWC system sterile and not winning with that. I actually bought a bottle of peroxide last weekend to use it to clean my res the next time i do a change.  Crex mentioned that even running sterile one can have massive problems. After the discussion I got everything together and started a tea .

If the plant got root rot due to my growing conditions it will come back because the conditions won't change any time soon, brewing a tea and adding it to the RES seems like a lot less work than going the sterile route. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Mambawana

Root rot is cyanobactria... Pythium is another problem, but tea helps that too. 

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/heisenberg-tea-summary-cheap-easy-beneficial-bacteria-to-cure-root-issues.958893/

This is one of the sources of my success in beating root rot and the dreaded slime!!! 

Note, the ingredients are American, but I have investigated every ingredient and researched every ingredient in depth. 

My favorite being humic acids and mycorrhizal fungi. 

At one point I was not making any teas and just throwing a bit of each ingredient into the res, and it worked great!! But I started using up my ingredients way to fast, and needed to buy more, so I went back to making my ingredients stretch in teas. 

If you want healthy roots. Mycorrhizal fungi is your best friend... But if you have issues, the EMProSoil has the right bacteria to fight the problems. 

• Like 1

Bro... I have been crippled by both... Rot... And slime... They both come around the same time. 

But after the research I did... I made a tea, took me 48 hours, and then fed the plants.... Within 3 days I had new fresh glistening white new growth. 

The damaged roots are never going to come back, so removing the dead matter is a good idea once you are back on the road to recovery. 

Since then I have never had a moments issue with my roots... 

Okay I lie... I had one issue.... 

If I had more than 1 plant in a res, the damn roots would grow into each other, and separating them for transplant is such a bitch lol. 

I was lifting my res lid daily to keep the roots from growing into each other😂

8 minutes ago, SmokeyZero said:

@CreX i found this locally here in PE, can i use it in a tea? I placed an order for EMProSoil which will probably arrive Monday.

gg.JPG.7aea0e8a230efc2bcdda297810e9c98e.JPG

I have never used that before, not sure what microbes are in there... The lactobacillus type bacteria are the important ones for the tea and root rot/slime issues. So if it has that, then you might not even need the EMProSoil... 

The fun and games of dwc... When I had a 4 site big Jim rough tote veg bucket, roots used to get tangled. They didn't seem to mind having the tangled roots cut off thou. Still amazes me how quick recovery takes place. I hated when the roots blocked off drain pipes thou and caused floods. Eventually linked all buckets with 110mm pipes hydrohybrid style. The next system I'd build when I get the balls would be like lokigro's.

I'm assuming you know these mentioned growers.

1 minute ago, CreX said:

@SmokeyZero @Mambawana once the root issues are resolved I would like to talk about the other benifits of the ingredients... Maybe we tackle them one at a time.

When you know what you are putting into the tea does, then it becomes easier to come up with other recipes or simpler recipes for a specific application or improvement 

Would love to steal some of your tea knowledge... more especially how to bump up phosphorus and potassium in teas.

5 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Would love to steal some of your tea knowledge... more especially how to bump up phosphorus and potassium in teas.

You can just add a MPK or bloom booster if you need to. 

But I would rather mix the MPK /BB in with your normal feed as once the tea is diluted the EC will drop to a point where the extra phosphorus and potassium would be almost negligible. 

For you to use the tea as a bloom booster, the levels of PK will need to be so high that I rate it would affect the microbes negatively 

I wouldn't say I sent the wrong link... 

But this is a 222 page topic and will probably take a few hours to read, and then a few days to absorb. 

Heisenberg is part of this thread and it's a banger. This is the post that allowed me to carry on growing and not give up. 

I had.... Lol... Have... Zero bucks to spend generally, so starting over with new equipment and seeds was not really an option I could viably consider. 

I *HAD* to make a plan and figure it out. 

I realized that there is no way I am the first person in the world to experience this shit. 

International forums are a great source of info. 

https://www.rollitup.org/t/dwc-root-slime-cure-aka-how-to-breed-beneficial-microbes.361430/

Edited by CreX
Forgot the link😂
  • Like 1

@CreX, I collected my LAB serum today and want to incorporate it in my tea. Thinking of only adding it when the tea is finished just before I add it to the soil.

What is your opinion?

I use Environoc with each brew and don't really want the LAB to take over before the other organism populate.

1 hour ago, Breadinator said:

@CreX, I collected my LAB serum today and want to incorporate it in my tea. Thinking of only adding it when the tea is finished just before I add it to the soil.

What is your opinion?

I use Environoc with each brew and don't really want the LAB to take over before the other organism populate.

I guess that's fine. 

You have already grown a ton of it so a brew process isn't needed... But in saying that, you don't need to be shy. 

Not sure how much you made... But 50ml a pop should be good maybe an hour or 2 before you use the tea should be great

• Like 1

Eishhh this tea brewing is a hazardous thing....haha.
Had a hell of a time getting my setup 100% First the airpump gave up the ghost and the fountain pump decided to electrocute me.

New airpump, new waterpump and the next brew is looking lekker.
Used koipond water with Seagrow, molasses and alfalfa as the fungi love it.de0fc6237ca4d4a4f12fd1f777881b75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looking great!! 

Nice And frothy, generally a sign of a more fungal dominant brew, otherwise, Earth worm compost makes a good foam. Note though that foam isn't an indication of a good tea. Just some additives foam and some don't... You will see a buildup on the sides of the bucket... That is the stuff you are looking for. Let us know how your ladies react!., you should see positive visual improvement after a few hours. 

Looking great!! 
Nice And frothy, generally a sign of a more fungal dominant brew, otherwise, Earth worm compost makes a good foam. Note though that foam isn't an indication of a good tea. Just some additives foam and some don't... You will see a buildup on the sides of the bucket... That is the stuff you are looking for. Let us know how your ladies react!., you should see positive visual improvement after a few hours. 
The foam/biofilm is only an indicator for me, some of my brews have foam and some don't.
Important signs are the fresh/earthy/foresty/mushroom smell and in my case with koipond water slightly fishy.
The brew before (breakdown brew) stood for a few hours without air/circulation and went sour and stinky. The anaerobic bacteria made it smell bad and that is what you dont want to give your plants.
That brew got chucked.

• Agree 1

Good move bro beans! 
I have a small UPS that runs a few air pumps, just so that I don't get caught with my pants down
That ups idea is clever. It'll defs help out with loadshitting.

I've got no dedicated space indoors, so my whole setup is outdoors exposed to the elements. (Only the cloning setup inside)
Had to get creative as it is and dont want to cart stuff back and forth.
Trying my best to work smart, not hard.
So far so good.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:54 PM, CreX said:

@SmokeyZero @Mambawana once the root issues are resolved I would like to talk about the other benifits of the ingredients... Maybe we tackle them one at a time.

When you know what you are putting into the tea does, then it becomes easier to come up with other recipes or simpler recipes for a specific application or improvement 

hey @CreX that will be awesome to learn more. 

I have started my next tea to give to the ladies, I can now say that it must have been the high temps that cause my root problems, the highest the water temp went was 28/29 C. I have gone the frozen bottle route to try and keep the temps down, but that is not going to be fun doing that for the next few months.

Solution

~ getting a chiller (not going to happen but nice to dream about) 

~ DIY some sort of chiller ( might be dangerous for all parties involved) 

~ Frozen Bottles ( if i have to but damn that is going to be a hassle)

~ Portable AirCon ( again dreaming of a distant future)

~ Nuke the res with Bennies. ( Leaning to this option)

I gave my plants their first tea a few days ago, the plants in soil really loved it and started praying the next day.

The ladies in DWC has stopped going backwards, meaning they don't look worse than the day before as that was what was happening, they kept looking worse everyday. I am excited to give them their next tea and see where they go from here.

I have not managed to take a picture of the roots but will do that tonight, eager to see if there is change down under.

I have a batch of LAB going and will definitely add that to the next tea to give it some more Ninja power. 

The high temps in my RES is going to continue, my only hope is to work around  that and keep adding Bennies to the equation

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SmokeyZero said:

hey @CreX that will be awesome to learn more. 

I have started my next tea to give to the ladies, I can now say that it must have been the high temps that cause my root problems, the highest the water temp went was 28/29 C. I have gone the frozen bottle route to try and keep the temps down, but that is not going to be fun doing that for the next few months.

Solution

~ getting a chiller (not going to happen but nice to dream about) 

~ DIY some sort of chiller ( might be dangerous for all parties involved) 

~ Frozen Bottles ( if i have to but damn that is going to be a hassle)

~ Portable AirCon ( again dreaming of a distant future)

~ Nuke the res with Bennies. ( Leaning to this option)

I gave my plants their first tea a few days ago, the plants in soil really loved it and started praying the next day.

The ladies in DWC has stopped going backwards, meaning they don't look worse than the day before as that was what was happening, they kept looking worse everyday. I am excited to give them their next tea and see where they go from here.

I have not managed to take a picture of the roots but will do that tonight, eager to see if there is change down under.

I have a batch of LAB going and will definitely add that to the next tea to give it some more Ninja power. 

The high temps in my RES is going to continue, my only hope is to work around  that and keep adding Bennies to the equation

Awesome news!! 

Those res Temps are still a bit high even with the bennies, but there will be positive improvements. 

Even if you can just knock off 2 degrees you will be in a safe range again

35 minutes ago, CreX said:

Awesome news!! 

Those res Temps are still a bit high even with the bennies, but there will be positive improvements. 

Even if you can just knock off 2 degrees you will be in a safe range again

I will try to do that with the frozen bottles and will do some head scratching this weekend to find a better solution. i guess i will have to keep the DWC setup for winter times and just do soil/coco during summer. 

20 minutes ago, SmokeyZero said:

I will try to do that with the frozen bottles and will do some head scratching this weekend to find a better solution. i guess i will have to keep the DWC setup for winter times and just do soil/coco during summer. 

I was also battling to keep my res Temps down and came to this same conclusion, stop growing in summer🚫

Luckily now my Temps are more stable. 

16 minutes ago, SmokeyZero said:

@CreX just want to ask, i noticed that my PH drops quite a bit in 24hrs, when i added the tea it was at 6.2 ,then the following morning it was at 4.9. I used some PH up and got it back to 5.9 but next day it was back down to 5.0 is that normal?

Sounds like what happens in early bloom. 

How big are your res buckets? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 4:12 PM, CreX said:

Sounds like what happens in early bloom. 

How big are your res buckets? 

Good Morning All.. 

I think it is the 68L tote I use as a res and about 25L water in there.

Today i have some photos to show of the progress, I gave mu plants two feedings of tea so far and have kept two plants as control plants.

~ Lets do the control plants first, this plant is really suffering with a big blop of slime and roots just broke off and fell into the sterile res. This plant have not received any tea and just doing the regular cleaning and res change weekly. I call her C-1

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-16.thumb.jpg.181d5817cf5e7c072020212796cadee0.jpg

931805133_photo_2020-01-22_17-56-14(2).thumb.jpg.7de952160ffbff60527f9b62cffcc842.jpg

~ This plant will have a hard time ahead as a big part of the roots are missing now.

~ Now for C-2, she is doing okay but not thriving and her leaves shows signs that she is struggling down under  

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-11.thumb.jpg.967a3a30f84de4e293dc99260e9e426e.jpg

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-13.thumb.jpg.0faa0f3a41ba108dbee8c880a6bf6197.jpg

~ C-2 roots were covered in slime  and i have decided to rather give her a tea than lose her completely, she received a tea 2 nights ago.

~ Now for the main plant where the tea has been tested.

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-08.thumb.jpg.67a44282e2c0accca1d9cc641ac95f1a.jpg

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-10.thumb.jpg.5790cec60c51c320a06b95af535f106c.jpg

photo_2020-01-22_17-56-14.thumb.jpg.b0c7c41d32dda489b651ae0db25292bb.jpg

~ This lady was covered by slime and no new growth at all before i started with the tea. All i did was add the tea to the res, and one cup of the tea i poured slowly over the roots. This res is going on three weeks now and only been topped up with rain water and with the teas that was brewed for 48 hrs.

~ This was my first time experiencing the brown slime and i just added a simple tea with things i had at home. 

~ Thanks @CreX for the advice, you have converted a sterile grower to a tea brewing maniac. I even started getting all the parts together to do a proper vortex brewer as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fuck yea man!!!! 

The brown will never go away, so if you start with the teas as early as you can, then the roots will stay pretty and white.

Congrats on the control group test!! I hope all the non believers convert due to your success😁😁😁

Here's a Pic of the roots of some of my clones that got some tea. 

As for the brown roots, I would maybe cut them off completely and let the new growth do the things... The brown gunk is a food source for the bennies... But it's really unsightly and ultimately not needed. 

Bury what is dead😁😊

IMG_20200117_174408.jpg

• Like 3