Milk for powdery mildew

CreX

@Pat999 yea man I would go for it

I have a strong feeling that this is because of my micro herd... 

If you have a poor soil biology, then I would say going in very diluted, like 10%

And I would do this in place of your regular water only watering. 

Note the results, and adjust the ratio accordingly... I don't think a full or even 5050 milk drench is wise without more experiments in soil

• Like 1

It's the lacto bacillus in milk. If you'd like to concentrate that goodness, read up on making a lacto bacillus serum. Once you have a pure form of it, mix half half with molasses and it will keep for a year in the fridge. It has so many more uses than just being a super anti bad bacterial, its probiotic for you and your pets too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Totemic said:

It's the lacto bacillus in milk. If you'd like to concentrate that goodness, read up on making a lacto bacillus serum. Once you have a pure form of it, mix half half with molasses and it will keep for a year in the fridge. It has so many more uses than just being a super anti bad bacterial, its probiotic for you and your pets too.

If it's so good... Why aren't more okes putting a super cheap and very available ammendment in their mixes? 

I literally cannot find any mention of milk and hydro or milk and soil on the internet... Gonna check more out about the serum... I have read about it before, but didn't take that much note at the time, probably looking for other info lol

• Like 1

[mention=1162]Pat999[/mention] yea man I would go for it
I have a strong feeling that this is because of my micro herd... 
If you have a poor soil biology, then I would say going in very diluted, like 10%
And I would do this in place of your regular water only watering. 
Note the results, and adjust the ratio accordingly... I don't think a full or even 5050 milk drench is wise without more experiments in soil
Oh yeah gonna go ham and cheese on it and see what happens. Definitely different in soil than dwc but I usually feed microbes to my soil pretty much every feed. Might skip one here and there but I like to keep my microbes up in there

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

So I stumbled upon this:

https://permies.com/t/54482/Homemade-Lactobacillus-Serum

I am sorry but that does not sound safe to eat. Still curious to try it, although would need to find a one way valve to make some.

I'll feed it to my plants but that is it.

Haha. It's safe. Safer than modern chemical preservatives in the food industry. Your pickles any pickles from beetroot to gherkins are lacto fermented. That's the preserving process. I mean the real homemade pickles, not mass produced shop crap. 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Lacto bacillus is probably the most important bacteria on the planet. Perhaps some haven't dedicated as much time as others in researching our terra micro biology, and what makes this whole living planet tick.

Milk made my plants happy and makes my daughter happy... I'm inclined to find out more😋

3 minutes ago, Pat999 said:

If you do find out about the serum Crex you'd be a sweetheart if you posted it here emoji3590.pngemoji8.pngemoji182.png

My knowledge is your knowledge ♥️

• Like 1

The concentrated serum can be diluted 10ml-20ml / litre water. Use as a soil drench. Very effective at killing bad anearobic bacteria in poorly aerated soil.

It can be sprayed on leaves as a pesticide, your surface areas as disinfectant. The use list is long.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 11:03 AM, CreX said:

Just letting guys know about my experience with milk to assist with powdery mildew. 

I have been apprehensive about using milk on my plants... Because geez, milk stinks when it goes funky and who likes that!? 

But I needed to do something about my PM issues. So I tried the whole milk thing. 

Bought a litre of PnP full cream milk... Diluted it about 40/60 in water... It would have been 50/50 but I drank alil milk 😋

I have a 2l garden sprayer that I bought at builders for 99 bucks... This thing is a life changer haha. 

And so I commenced my spraying... Everything got a good spray... Under and on top of the leaves and surrounding area.. 

And I still had about a litre left so I went around the garden and sprayed any areas iv had issues with before... 

It stank my grow up... Was pretty disgusting... But I let it go... 

White leaves, dripping with milk... I just left it... I was like... Guys say this works... So let me give it a chance... 

Today I go in and check what's up.. To find no powdery mildew (I need to keep an eye open for any new spots) and not only was my grow free of PM, they were praying at an angle I haven't seen in a while 🙏 😁😁.. And no smelly milk! 

I must note.. That I'm running hydro systems... And some of the milk did leak into the res... Only one of them.. And those plants are praying the hardest... 

I will be monitoring my res for the next few days to see how things turn out... Who knows... Maybe I add a ml or 2 at each res.. Lol but more research needs to happen. 

So if you have been putting off a milk spray... Here's my testimony to something that worked💪👍🍼

So glad this works thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Totemic said:

The concentrated serum can be diluted 10ml-20ml / litre water. Use as a soil drench. Very effective at killing bad anearobic bacteria in poorly aerated soil.

It can be sprayed on leaves as a pesticide, your surface areas as disinfectant. The use list is long.

Spray the diluated serum to combat Powdery Mildew or use fresh diluated milk for that rather?

I would use the serum. The point of the serum is to concentrate the bacteria. The organisms with the most individuals on the battlefield win the war. It's a matter of shear force with numbers in the micro world.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2

Follow up, last night I went in to check the girls quick. The brief view didn't show much PM left with the girls looking good, except for the man juice looking residue on the leaves. Will be looking them over completely tonight and see where we stand. This time I didn't give the plants time after the spray for standing under the bathroom light so they went in straight under the Gavita with the fans off to help it dry on the girls.