First ever Grow...

MrE

TBH i believe that, i've placed about 10 seeds in jiffy pellets before they popped and nothing happened. 
so now i wait for them to pop open before placing in jiffy pellets.
Also, has anyone noticed how the jiffy pellets turn green with fungus after a few days?
Aren't they meant to be coco peat? An inert substrate.
Perhaps it contains trich? Not a bad idea to place some trich in there though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think they might be palm peat and not coco peat.

Wont be using these for clones, think i will go rock-wool instead. Keep the Jiffy’s for seedlings.

any idea why it turns green? How can i prevent it? It takes the fungus with when planting to pots. Starts showing up in pots after a few days😡

I dont like it, it doesn't look nice and pretty.

If you bought jiffy pellets from the hydroshop in Kraaifontein or Claremont you might as well moer that kak away bru. They bought a batch from a different supplier because the one they always use was sold out. You might have some cheap chinese nommers there. I lost a shit load of clones from the jiffy side of thing. Went in and took new clones and got them in rockwool, didn't even lose a handfull of those from about 16 clones

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

[mention=1162]Pat999[/mention] im pretty sure that is what happened. Was wondering why the hortishop would sell this kak. 
I reckon rockwool would be best option for cloning.
Awe bru definitely. I have some rockwool clones and they are not looking too bad!

5 hours ago, Pat999 said:

If you bought jiffy pellets from the hydroshop in Kraaifontein or Claremont you might as well moer that kak away bru. They bought a batch from a different supplier because the one they always use was sold out. You might have some cheap chinese nommers there. I lost a shit load of clones from the jiffy side of thing. Went in and took new clones and got them in rockwool, didn't even lose a handfull of those from about 16 clones

You sound like a typical Cape Townian bro 😂😂 Love it 👌

• Like 2

I just put some cuttings into jiffys, my first time trying them hope I don't have the same issue.

Got them from a shop up here in jhb, let's wait and see. I believe it shouldn't have any fungus / mould.

• Like 1

I just put some cuttings into jiffys, my first time trying them hope I don't have the same issue.

Got them from a ship up here in jhb, let's wait and see. I believe it shouldn't have any fungus / mould.

If it took only about 5 minutes to fully expand then they're good. The ones this side took kak long, 40-50min for a half stiff soggy mess

• Like 1

Sounds like plain old green algae to me though... I wouldn't worry too much as you don't grow hydro... 

In hydro, the algae can become a problem and start competing with your roots to get oxygen... But in soil, algae can only grow on the surface of your medium where there is light

I wouldn't be too bothered by it... I use straight tap water for the first few days of propogation and cuttings... Iv found that the chlorine keeps the medium pest free, long enough for the seeds to grow, and long enough for the clones to root nicely... 

I stopped using jiffies in favour of a bubble cloner system that works out better and faster for me👌

16 minutes ago, CreX said:

Gallon? What nutes you use that measure in gallons 😋

Or does the imperial system work for you? 

Hehe, I got the measurements from a YouTube channel, 'from seed to stoned' iirc, which uses the Yankee measurement system. I just googled the conversion to liters.

The Lucas Formula just drops the Gro.

GHE tri-pack Flora.

1 Gallon = 3.785 Liters
1/2 = 1.8925

Week 2-4:
Micro 2.5ml / 1.25
Gro 2.5ml / 1.25
Bloom 1ml / 0.5ml

Week 5-6:
Micro 2ml / 1ml
Gro 1ml / 0.5ml
Bloom 2ml / 1ml

Week 7-8:
Micro 2ml / 1ml
Gro .5ml / 0.25ml
Bloom 2ml / 1ml

Week 9-10:
Micro 2ml / 1ml
Bloom 4ml / 2ml

Edited by MrE
  • Like 1

Btw, for those looking to avoid my missteps, from what I can gather online, this is what a plant looks like when you overwater and overheat a younger plant. A sort of blistered leaf appearance. They also feel a little plasticky.

IMG_20190723_213654.jpg

• Like 5

Seem to have bad luck with these Euforia autos, anyway I'll see what they turn out like.

Experimenting with germinating two more of them in the same pot. I heard about the competition being beneficial for autos, worth a try, I have loads of those seeds. Straight into FF soil this time, so also testing this "too rich for germination" thing.

If anyone wants to let me know how much longer I should let the AK48 (rear-right) go, feel free. Short Rider (rear left) looks like it'll be a while longer.

IMG_20190729_233933.jpg

IMG_20190729_233823.jpg

IMG_20190729_233943.jpg

IMG_20190729_234057.jpg

IMG_20190730_014057.jpg

IMG_20190729_234223.jpg

IMG_20190729_234305.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 7

Fyi, both seeds emerged at the same time after 4/5 days from the normal FF soil without a problem. So I'm going to ditch jiffy pellets and keep things simple as possible from now on. 

IMG_20190731_155336.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

What's wrong with the Euforia autos and what do you mean by the "competition"?

Also use a loupe or scope to check the Trichome for when to harvest.

The trouble is probably me, yet 2/3 seem to grow extremely slowly and also exhibit many similarly oddly shaped leaves. Anyway, again probably me and I'll wait to see what they end up like.

Apparently is has been noted that the stimulation/competition between the root systems can have a beneficial effect on the plant wet to growth. Of course I'll also LST the heck out of them, due to being in the same pot. A fun experiment nonetheless.

Edited by MrE

It could be poor genetics / unstable genetics leading to the deformed leaves. I also have some DP Auto Euforia, have not tried to grow any out yet though.

So you want to add companion plants into the same pot?

Are you using any mycorrhizal fungi or trichoderma?

Edited by PsyCLown

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

It could be poor genetics / unstable genetics leading to the deformed leaves. I also have some DP Auto Euforia, have not tried to grow any out yet though.

So you want to add companion plants into the same pot?

Are you using any mycorrhizal fungi or trichoderma?

Yep I've put two in the same pot. See pic above.

I've got mycorrhizae in my shopping cart, so will soon! Didn't know I could put it in with a seed direct to final soil. I have only seen it used with transplants.

Yep I've put two in the same pot. See pic above.
I've got mycorrhizae in my shopping cart, so will soon! Didn't know I could put it in with a seed direct to final soil. I have only seen it used with transplants.
It's best used from seed as less I then required.
Nice to get the mycorrhizal started as soon as possible.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a small percentage of amber trichomes and decided to take the leap. Even though the short-rider didn't get a flush, I guess I'll find out first hand if it is a considerably harsher smoke. Don't use large amounts of nutes anyway, but we'll see.

3 days drying so far. 70% RH. Dehumidifier stuck in customs, don't know if they'll keep it.

IMG_20190815_195530.jpg

IMG_20190815_195543.jpg

IMG_20190815_195611.jpg

IMG_20190815_195630.jpg

Edited by MrE
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, MrE said:

Saw a small percentage of amber trichomes and decided to take the leap. Even though the short-rider didn't get a flush, I guess I'll find out first hand if it is a considerably harsher smoke. Don't use large amounts of nutes anyway, but we'll see.

3 days drying so far. 70% RH. Dehumidifier stuck in customs, don't know if they'll keep it.

IMG_20190815_195530.jpg

IMG_20190815_195543.jpg

IMG_20190815_195611.jpg

IMG_20190815_195630.jpg

Where did you order the dehumidifier from and was it significantly cheaper?

Looking good though!

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Where did you order the dehumidifier from and was it significantly cheaper?

Looking good though!

Yes, Amazon (brand: Aiho) from what I can tell it's the same as a model sold here under a different brand name (Hysure), but R1k more expensive.

However, Aramex and TNT are to be avoided at all costs. I'm not sure whether customs will release it at all at this point. No reply from the person handling the case at Aramex.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...