Power consumption for indoor setups

CaNaWidow

It will need to be on separate circuits. Something to keep in mind is that your plug wiring is only 2.5mm, so getting an extention, even 4mm is not helping.

You can upgrade your 20A breaker to a 25A. Although this is not illegal, it is somewhat frowned upon.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

So if I had a portable ac drawing 800w and my veg and flowering use 1050w. That would be too much right? I'll have to find out where my circuits are going and how I'd be able to make it work. Damn dude you literally just made me so confused. LoL

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Pat999 said:

So if I had a portable ac drawing 800w and my veg and flowering use 1050w. That would be too much right? I'll have to find out where my circuits are going and how I'd be able to make it work. Damn dude you literally just made me so confused. LoL

800 watts = 3.63A

1050w = 4.73A

= 8.36

You can easily run that off a single socket.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pat999 said:

So since I'm a fucking dud with these things, when you say running it on two plugs meaning you running a wall socket with place for two plugs, or two single plugs?

I have two wall plugs that I split my gear across. I have an extra plug in the roof where a garage motor would go if i need a third plug

• Like 1

800 watts = 3.63A 1050w = 4.73A = 8.36

You can easily run that off a single socket.

I calculated it at 8,41A draw. Here's my logic.

I = Watts/Volts

= 1850/220

I = 8,41A

With that in mind...

20A = maxWatts/220v

MaxWatts = 220v*20A

MaxWatts = 4400W

Theoretically, not taking into account tolerance and quality of circuit breaker, you should be able to connect 4400w on a standard 2.5mm cable on a single circuit breaker without any hassles.

You need to take into account other electrical devices running on the same circuit though.

I would also not suggest that you fire up 20A at the same time, as may trip the breaker. At a full 4400w, there may be a need for staggered start of equipment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Trailblazer420 said:

I calculated it at 8,41A draw.

Here's my logic.

I = Watts/Volts
= 1850/220
I = 8,41A

With that in mind...

20A = maxWatts/220v
MaxWatts = 220v/20A
MaxWatts = 4400W

Theoretically, not taking into account tolerance and quality of circuit breaker, you should be able to connect 4400w on a standard 2.5mm cable on a single circuit breaker without any hassles.

You need to take into ACCOUNT other electrical devices running on the same circuit though.

I would also not suggest that you fire up 20A at the same time, as may trip the breaker. At a full 4400w, there may be a need to staggered start of equipment.

Yep I was off a few ma, but yes you don't wanna surge max wattage through it. Most aircons burst to a high wattage then drop down and stay stable.

• Like 1

Yep I was off a few ma, but yes you don't wanna surge max wattage through it. Most aircons burst to a high wattage then drop down and stay stable.

Correct, same goes for HID, ballast has a heavy pull on startup, but then once it's fully fired up, it settles.

Hope my calculation is right, I haven't used electrical calculations in about 15 years.

• Like 1

Oh well then that means I can run up to 2000w easily if I have to right? It's just my setup plugged into the socket with nothing else running off of it. I have a wall mounted ac but that draws 1200w and it was connected to the plug I'm currently using. But for me 1200w is a bit too expensive to run so thats why I'd want the 800w ac portable. Can move it around and put ducting close to it

4 hours ago, Pat999 said:

Oh well then that means I can run up to 2000w easily if I have to right? It's just my setup plugged into the socket with nothing else running off of it. I have a wall mounted ac but that draws 1200w and it was connected to the plug I'm currently using. But for me 1200w is a bit too expensive to run so thats why I'd want the 800w ac portable. Can move it around and put ducting close to it

Yes pretty much, just make sure your plugs and extension cord/multi adapter is rated at a high amperage.

Yes pretty much, just make sure your plugs and extension cord/multi adapter is rated at a high amperage.
It does have a multiplug coming off the one socket. I even have surge plugs and each tent has its own lead so it's not running on one wire

One thing to take into consideration (depending how your house is wired up) is that usually they will wire plug circuits to 20A breakers,  thats not to say that each plug socket is wired to its own breaker, but multiple plug sockets to a breaker. That goes to say that the load of multiple sockets are split to a 20A breaker.

I have dedicated my circuits to certain breakers. Wired straight from a 20A to my lights, another 20A to my plug circuits which runs my fans etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedEye said:

One thing to take into consideration (depending how your house is wired up) is that usually they will wire plug circuits to 20A breakers,  thats not to say that each plug socket is wired to its own breaker, but multiple plug sockets to a breaker. That goes to say that the load of multiple sockets are split to a 20A breaker.

I have dedicated my circuits to certain breakers. Wired straight from a 20A to my lights, another 20A to my plug circuits which runs my fans etc.

Trailblazer did mention that 🙂 to ensure that its the only appliances on the circuit. 🙂

• Like 1

So I just checked I have 3 breakers for plugs. It's 240v and 20A. My place has 9 sockets downstairs and then one socket for each room upstairs. What's the chance that the single socket in the room is linked to a single breaker? Bearing in mind the previous owners ran the 1200w AC with various appliances like PCs and TV

47 minutes ago, Pat999 said:

So I just checked I have 3 breakers for plugs. It's 240v and 20A. My place has 9 sockets downstairs and then one socket for each room upstairs. What's the chance that the single socket in the room is linked to a single breaker? Bearing in mind the previous owners ran the 1200w AC with various appliances like PCs and TV

Easiest way would be to check the load on the breaker with your kit off otherwise if you're uncomfortable doing that, start looking up hit till the breaker trips lol.

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 4:57 PM, 420SA said:

Yea very frustrating indeed this... I stay in Nelspruit.

It starts off cheaper at the beginning of the month and gets more expensive the more electricity I use. I'm using prepaid electricity and renting. From what I've discovered, it seems a middleman is involved as every time I recharge I get a message stating that I have paid "Prepaid World". Some dodgy local government tender agreement I'm sure.

For instance when I pay R300 I get 123kwh in return. It says R51.75 in charges and that Im actually getting R248.24 worth of electricity. What are these charges?? I always recharge through internet banking but I get the same result if I recharge through a shop.

VAT if im correct it should be 15% of amount spent.

i get that same kak.

R150 bought Vat R19.57 Units 75.5

that comes to R1.99/klw.

I stay i Blouberg area, Parklands

Shot for this formula, fuking great stuff man. very helpful@420SA 

• Like 1

Prepaid works on a sliding scale , the more you use the more expensive it gets. I cant remember the scale exactly but it works like the first R500 is one price the next R250 is another and so on . It will make no difference weather it's the start or end if the month , it's based on how much you have bought in that month 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Prepaid works on a sliding scale , the more you use the more expensive it gets. I cant remember the scale exactly but it works like the first R500 is one price the next R250 is another and so on . It will make no difference weather it's the start or end if the month , it's based on how much you have bought in that month 

Correct

• 3 weeks later...
True brother, its by units the first block is 0-600kwh which is R2.20 a unit and thereafter it becomes R2.78 a unit. So if you use 850kwh a month you'd pay R2.78 for 250kwh units and the rest a 2.20.

I personally just don't give a fuck.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I wish I could say the same but paying R2000 a month just for your grow setup and another 600-800 for everyday stuff it becomes pretty fucking expensive.

About your electricity bill?
Yeah. Not meaning I'm rich or can afford paying high prices, it's just that I just don't pay attention what I pay. I don't have high consumption equipment (yet) so I can't actually talk along. I'll just upgrade to the point where it gets to expensive and then I'll stop there or just cut back a bit.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk