Power consumption for indoor setups

CaNaWidow

Was wondering what everyone is estimating their power spend at on a monthly basis for growing indoor?

Whats your setup and how do you geuss your consumption?

I am due to run a 600w HPS soon, and wonder what it will do to my pocket

LED 360w has been very forgiving, dont really notice it that much through the month. Maybe 150 a month extra..

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My current grow is using 19.1 kw/units per 24h. I'm running 1000w(600w + 400w) lights in my flower tent and a 200w light in my veg tent. The fans are pulling 88w.

You need to work out consumption in order to work out cost so the best thing to do is break your grow down to each piece of equipment that is using electricity and work from there:

I'm gonna use my grow as an example here:

Firstly it really helps to measure what each device is actually pulling and not go by the indicated wattage for the device i.e. a 600w HPS may use a little more than 600w, especially with magnetic ballasts. My 600W HPS and 400W HPS are collectively pulling a total of 1115w and not 1000W. If you have a prepaid meter it should be able to tell you the wattage being used in the house. An easy way to measure each devices true wattage is to have the device off, check the current wattage use in the house in the meter and note the amount, then turn the device on, note usage and work out the difference.

Here's how to work out total consumption:

The formula is : Device wattage X time(hours) device is on

Flowering Lights: 1115w x 12 = 13 380

Veg Light: 200w x 18 = 3600

Fans(2 extractor fans and 2 oscillating Fans): 88w x 24 = 2112

We then add these totals together:  13 380 + 3600 + 2112 = 19 092

So that gives me 19 092 watts which is the total number of watts my grow uses every 24 hours. Or 19.1 kilowatts, or 19.1 units... whichever way you wanna look at it.

To work out cost

Formula: Total daily usage X Price per unit(kilowatt hour)

Daily cost: 19.1 x  R2.44 = R46.60

Monthly cost: 46.60 x 30 =  R1398-00

Hope this helps

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6
  • Agree 2

• 420SA pinned this topic
23 minutes ago, 420SA said:

My current grow is using 19.1 kw/units per 24h. I'm running 1000w(600w + 400w) lights in my flower tent and a 200w light in my veg tent. The fans are pulling 88w.

You need to work out consumption in order to work out cost so the best thing to do is break your grow down to each piece of equipment that is using electricity and work from there:

I'm gonna use my grow as an example here:

Firstly it really helps to measure what each device is actually pulling and not go by the indicated wattage for the device i.e. a 600w HPS may use a little more than 600w, especially with magnetic ballasts. My 600W HPS and 400W HPS are collectively pulling a total of 1115w and not 1000W. If you have a prepaid meter it should be able to tell you the wattage being used in the house. An easy way to measure each devices true wattage is to have the device off, check the current wattage use in the house in the meter and note the amount, then turn the device on, note usage and work out the difference.

Here's how to work out total consumption:

The formula is : Device wattage X time(hours) device is on

Flowering Lights: 1115w x 12 = 13 380

Veg Light: 200w x 18 = 3600

Fans(2 extractor fans and 2 oscillating Fans): 88w x 24 = 2112

We then add these totals together:  13 380 + 3600 + 2112 = 19 092

So that gives me 19 092 watts which is the total number of watts my grow uses every 24 hours. Or 19.1 kilowatts, or 19.1 units... whichever way you wanna look at it.

To work out cost

Formula: Total daily usage X Price per unit(kilowatt hour)

Daily cost: 19.1 x  R2.44 = R46.60

Monthly cost: 46.60 x 30 =  R1398-00

Hope this helps

Maybe you should sticky this one @420SA

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Where the hell do you stay that it costs R2.44 kwh :classic_sad:

Yea very frustrating indeed this... I stay in Nelspruit.

It starts off cheaper at the beginning of the month and gets more expensive the more electricity I use. I'm using prepaid electricity and renting. From what I've discovered, it seems a middleman is involved as every time I recharge I get a message stating that I have paid "Prepaid World". Some dodgy local government tender agreement I'm sure.

For instance when I pay R300 I get 123kwh in return. It says R51.75 in charges and that Im actually getting R248.24 worth of electricity. What are these charges?? I always recharge through internet banking but I get the same result if I recharge through a shop.

2 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Yea very frustrating indeed this... I stay in Nelspruit.

It starts off cheaper at the beginning of the month and gets more expensive the more electricity I use. I'm using prepaid electricity and renting. From what I've discovered, it seems a middleman is involved as every time I recharge I get a message stating that I have paid "Prepaid World". Some dodgy local government tender agreement I'm sure.

For instance when I pay R300 I get 123kwh in return. It says R51.75 in charges and that Im actually getting R248.24 worth of electricity. What are these charges?? I always recharge through internet banking but I get the same result if I recharge through a shop.

Yeah I stay in a complex and they charge me misc fees and a network charge, that is already like 500R, the most my sliding scale go's up to is 1.80, so will be interesting to see when i get my bill next week. I'm also renting, but looking to buy a property next year most likely and hopefully in the same complex, but then ill convert to prepaid as to not be shafted as hard by city power.

• 3 months later...
If I have worked it out correctly would a 400 watt HPS cost around R530 to run a month?
[mention=1]420SA[/mention] 
Should be about 450 if you pay around R2 per kwh for veg at 18hrs a day. Without any fans so yes with the fans around 500-550pm

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My grow was at about R1K (maybe more) per month, 400w HID with 9000btu ac 24/0 (probably more :))

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

The AC units are fucking expensive to run bru. LoL I get about R1500 with the Gavita and both QBs and fans running. That covers my other electricity also

• 3 months later...

I have installed a KWHM into the distribution Board that powers my grow room. This way i am able to be billed accordingly apart from the rest of the house. The unit i am using shows my KwH, amps, power factor aswell as voltage.

• Like 1

I stopped worrying about my usage, I run close to 3000 watts of lights now with about 5 x 150 watt fans. When summer hits I'll be introducing a AC for the grow area, so close to 4200 watts.  
Which breakers are you running? 50amp?

Should be able to run that safely on 2 x 20A CB's.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Tbh brother I was always worried about my CB not being able to handle the power if I had to run it with an AC. Just me being not in the loop on these types of things I guess. It seems my board has two of those for the plugs

4 hours ago, Pat999 said:

Which breakers are you running? 50amp?

I've split everything over two plugs and have more have enough amps to spare. My breakers are 20AMP each. I'm still able to run all my electronics equipment as well.

So since I'm a fucking dud with these things, when you say running it on two plugs meaning you running a wall socket with place for two plugs, or two single plugs?

It will need to be on separate circuits. Something to keep in mind is that your plug wiring is only 2.5mm, so getting an extention, even 4mm is not helping.

You can upgrade your 20A breaker to a 25A. Although this is not illegal, it is somewhat frowned upon.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk