Heating Grow tent

Furbrain

Hi all,

Just wondering about different ways to keep Tent up to temperature in the night when lights go out?.

I've ordered a RAM fan controller box to start with. 1.2x1.2 tent and on slow speed the fan seems an overkill sucking some nice 12°C cold air at a fair old rate!. I've ordered a 400w Desktop fan heater and will couple this with a separate thermostat. The fan will be placed with back near intake. Will update findings in 2-3 weeks for anyone interested.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions to keep the tent warm I would be grateful. Panel heater is possible????.

Also,........  what is the coldest temp (at night) that the plants could handle?. I believe 24°-27°C is the ideal temp-----in an ideal world!.

I'm running everything on Solar so big wattage heaters are out of the questionIMG_20220502_151503.thumb.jpg.d61f5af13a5041e0fe787e245037801a.jpgIMG_20220502_151524.thumb.jpg.89759dc6ab14b5d43b0a8fa911d3f5d1.jpgIMG_20220502_151611.thumb.jpg.29d31812a984bc5473a8342d9815033b.jpg.

Setup; Mars tent, led lights, ram 150mm fan. 2 fresh air 150mm inlet feeds.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Furbrain said:

Hi all,

Just wondering about different ways to keep Tent up to temperature in the night when lights go out?.

I've ordered a RAM fan controller box to start with. 1.2x1.2 tent and on slow speed the fan seems an overkill sucking some nice 12°C cold air at a fair old rate!. I've ordered a 400w Desktop fan heater and will couple this with a separate thermostat. The fan will be placed with back near intake. Will update findings in 2-3 weeks for anyone interested.

In the meantime, if anyone has any other suggestions to keep the tent warm I would be grateful. Panel heater is possible????.

Also,........  what is the coldest temp (at night) that the plants could handle?. I believe 24°-27°C is the ideal temp-----in an ideal world!.

I'm running everything on Solar so big wattage heaters are out of the questionIMG_20220502_151503.thumb.jpg.d61f5af13a5041e0fe787e245037801a.jpgIMG_20220502_151524.thumb.jpg.89759dc6ab14b5d43b0a8fa911d3f5d1.jpgIMG_20220502_151611.thumb.jpg.29d31812a984bc5473a8342d9815033b.jpg.

Setup; Mars tent, led lights, ram 150mm fan. 2 fresh air 150mm inlet feeds.

Nice set up bud, I would suggest a panel heater. If your fan heater is still in the box. Possibly take it back and get a panel heater in there, you can use a sonoff to regulate the temperature switching it on an off to keep the temp in the desired range. I have found this to be the best method to warm up the tent during these times. Also possibly let your lights run during the night to keep the temps in a better range. 

Goodluck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

was also gona suggest the lights on at night thing. 

in veg you got maximum 6hrs of darkness, just aim to get those 6hrs during the peak heat of the day (11:00 to 17:00 is the hottest hours of every day even in winter) so this, in contrast, leaves you with your light on during the colder hours of every day. so it balances itself out.

plants grow kak slow in anything under 18°C but it wont kill them. just stunt them a little so try not go under 18°C too often, if it dips below 18 for a couple hours every night you just gona have purple plants. 

panel heater will do the trick if you wana keep it above 20 or in a certain range. 💪 

your setup looks like it's got the potential for some bulky yields 😁

• Like 1

I was actually selling panel heaters with a stand and I could have thrown in a Sonoff switch but no-one was interested 😅 Linky

Fan heaters are not good to use for this purpose because they dry the air considerably. The gentle heat from a panel is much more suited to our goals. 

16 hours ago, Furbrain said:

what is the coldest temp (at night) that the plants could handle?

Cannabis plants can survive anything that isn't below freezing, so the absolute lowest would be 2C. Although I'd say your metabolism and plant growth will start lowering noticeably at around 18C.  

I've personally made it through flower at temps as low as 14C before I started trying figuring out how to raise the temps. 

Many thanks for the feedback 👍.

Comment on the fan makes perfect sense!. Shame I missed your heaters but will start looking around now. I'm not sure if I would need 2 though?.

Do you think a 400w panel is enough for my 1.2M2 tent?.

Cheers......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Furbrain said:

Many thanks for the feedback 👍.

Comment on the fan makes perfect sense!. Shame I missed your heaters but will start looking around now. I'm not sure if I would need 2 though?.

Do you think a 400w panel is enough for my 1.2M2 tent?.

Cheers......

More than enough 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 6:27 AM, ORGANinc. said:

Nice set up bud, I would suggest a panel heater. If your fan heater is still in the box. Possibly take it back and get a panel heater in there, you can use a sonoff to regulate the temperature switching it on an off to keep the temp in the desired range. I have found this to be the best method to warm up the tent during these times. Also possibly let your lights run during the night to keep the temps in a better range. 

Goodluck.

Thanks Organic,

Yes, panel heater seems the way to go for me. As mentioned, I'm on solar and the setup handles grow tent equipment nicely. Not sure if I switched to night light it would cope?.

Even on a cloudy day the Solar will generate enough power to run GT and charge batteries for nighttime useage =10 hrs. If I switch to 'lights on' at night there would be an additional 6 hrs that my Solar batteries would have to supply the GT and if it's been cloudy there won't be enough power stored in the batteries to run the extra hours. If you understand that.....you deserve a medal!.

If I used Eskom then your 'lights on at night' schedule would be perfect 👍.

Thanks again for your help....

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 7:48 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

was also gona suggest the lights on at night thing. 

in veg you got maximum 6hrs of darkness, just aim to get those 6hrs during the peak heat of the day (11:00 to 17:00 is the hottest hours of every day even in winter) so this, in contrast, leaves you with your light on during the colder hours of every day. so it balances itself out.

plants grow kak slow in anything under 18°C but it wont kill them. just stunt them a little so try not go under 18°C too often, if it dips below 18 for a couple hours every night you just gona have purple plants. 

panel heater will do the trick if you wana keep it above 20 or in a certain range. 💪 

your setup looks like it's got the potential for some bulky yields 😁

Perfect, thankyou .

Yep,....... I'm in at the deep end!.

Looks like the pressure is on!.

Positive comments........

I feel like I'm the typical ' All the gear......No idea' person😂.

Hope you see post explaining my reason for the lights schedule. 

I'm excited to try my first indoor grow with first time hydroponics. No point in planting untill the climate in GT is under control. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can try😃.

Cheers....

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Do you have access to burning some wood? I have lots where I am, so I am planning to have a plain old Donkie and heat it up with sticks.

If you have a 200 litres insulated tank at 60 or 70°C you can pull it down no nearly 30°C with a properly selected heating coil.

That will give you already about 9kWh of heat - and you can even store then with your solar system with an element during daytime if you have any access.

• Like 1

Grow in an insulated area. Suck air from the bottom of the tent instead of the top. I moved my grow from the garage into the house. Massive difference.

not that I am really growing any more. Just running an 80 x 80 with 150w lights

Edited by SkunkPharm
  • Like 1