Chili/Chilli/Chile/Chillie

Chris Jay

Surprised there are no posts about chillies on here. is it not a stoner favourite? Had a joint, a brain fart and decided to head into a chillie business head first today ( maybe ass first ). We just planted in our newly erected tunnel last week, water pipes in today and cabbages planted. Sad to say this is not a pappagaaislaai tunnel but a legit food garden. We planning on growing cabbages, cucumbers, tomatoes for our local markets. Just sorted out my chilli seed collection and excited to start growing them for a number of reasons, mainly for food, but waste goes to our pigs and donkeys. Watch this space, I will update as I go along, season starts soon.

72ac4a47abdd34a324041edb86ecd8d780f258de

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Any updates to the OP? I've decided on impulse to start growing some chillies, I saw a few varieties at GSR that piqued my interest. Apocalypse red, slim cayenne & early jalapenos & then some corno di toro for a sweet pepper. I've been doing birdseye for about a year now & ended up with about a kilo from a few plants last year. those have died down & come back up for summer.

Hopefully I'll start the others in the next few days once the seeds arrive. I just need to make sure I have enough small pots to start the seedlings in. I'm just not sure about the apocalypse red. It's close to the reaper in heat & I'm still a noob when it comes to hot stuff. lol. even the birdseye was a bit too hot for me. 

I plan on making cayenne pepper & pickled jalapenos for now.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Khakibos said:

Net so 🤣

Lol. I definitely won't be able to handle the Apocalypse red, but I need a grow challenge & it's listed as challenging. I'll definitely share with a few of my visitors if I can successfully grow it just to see their reaction. Hopefully I won't have to call poison control/EMS. hahahaha 😈

My black friday shopping list (got a bit of a discount on the final total, just waiting on delivery, hopefully today)

image.png.0f9837f706e690aaaa51dea5acd011c3.png

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jimmy-z said:

Lol. I definitely won't be able to handle the Apocalypse red, but I need a grow challenge & it's listed as challenging.

If you looking for interesting edible plants to grow you should really check out living seeds https://livingseeds.co.za/ next time you do a seed run !😁

In regards to the chilies, good luck to you and which ever visitors you share them Apocalypse reds with 😂

Have grown some Cayenne and Habanero, just sown Jalapeno all for sauce making. Consuming them raw can get interesting, but in a sauce they work lekker.

1. Some habaneros for the next round.

2. Cooked up some sauces.

Something for everything..😁

IMG_20211201_214708_mfnr.jpg

IMG_20211201_214900_mfnr.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

Have grown some Cayenne and Habanero,

That is lekker @Bos, exactly what I wanted to do. 

Any updates to the OP?

Zero updates. Run out of zol too......... 👽 But the garden is coming along slowly. With the water issues we been having we had to focus all attention on the tunnel and cash cabbage crop we been growing. Do have a couple chilli plants growing. I think its Ethiopian brown, cherry peppers and birds eye.

Very nice @Bos I'm hoping for enough to make some sauces & at the very least, some pickled Jalapenos. I already know I'm going to love the pickled Jalapenos 😄 I might try something like a chillie oil as well. Depends on how it goes. It's still early days. My seeds are being delivered today. Finally.

@Chris Jay it's a shame about the water situation, but at least you still have a bit of a variety going. If my chillie run goes well, I'll add a few more varieties for the next grow. Paprika is another variety I wanted to try, since we use it all the time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...