Garden Route Trippin

Chris Jay

Last week I headed down the garden route to meet up with some like minded cannabis growers/breeders and it was a treat. My first stop in PE was the low light of the trip, disgruntled customer outside, damn expensive shop, very charming and knowledgeable shop assistant, but a damn weird owner. Rather leave the name out of this post and move onto the good stuff.

Next stop was Turtle House, awesome setting and shop, lots to see, do and buy. It is primarily a legal shop selling a bunch of traditional medicines, teas, bongs, coffeeshop and growshop with a little library. Amazingly found a book I was published in, Cannabis Indica by Mel Thomas. Really did give me a hop in my step and quickly bought it. 

7dbcdaa410530add241d9c0196fcac0f59dbbf32

df0d59fdd5978d814fe7e372e2418955f80d256f

34bfdd4647bfd365240a94681d671b15e03610b8

d47331b049be4e7f5e40f827be9ac8c3c1f1d33e

Next stop was to an activist and organic grower, medical user, OomBoom. What a wonderful experience, beautiful garden using permaculture principles and very knowledgeable too. Had a cup of green tea, some tasty joints and bought a couple of his very well branded tshirts.

oomboom

IMG_20210218_105106
IMG_20210218_111901
IMG_20210219_080628

IMG_20210218_105804
IMG_20210218_105312

Next stop was St Francis Bay. There are two cannabis shops, one for CBD/THC medicine and the other other a CBD Vape Club called PineApple Express. It was a good time to stop and buy some craft beer from The Brewing Company, delicious pale ale.

IMG_20210219_111823

IMG_20210222_134306

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Next was a quick but way overdue stop in Knysna to meet a cannabis artist and activist from Cannabiz Art, Marylou Botha, a cannabis warrior. It was an awesome experience to finally meet her and her family in wonderful surroundings. Drank coffee in crooked handmade cups, smoked delicious weed and caught up on cannabis culture over a couple joints. She also kindly gifted me some of her handmade cannabis soap.

bowls-450x450.jpg

cannabizart-logo.png

I also got to meet a breeder known as Garden Route Genetics. Josh has been breeding for 15 years and kindly gave me some top strains, Black Kronic and Lilac Kronic.

IMG_20210222_122438

Next stop was in a town known as Plettenberg Bay. Its a buzzing town with so much on offer including great beaches, outdoor trails, shops, sun, sea, restaurants and cannabis activities. First stopped off at a very cool Hemp shop, Simple Seed, in the high street. Really nice selection of CBD and hemp items, from textiles to through to soaps, balms, scrubs, CBD oil, hemp hats. The owner was informed about all his products and knew lots about the benefits of hemp.

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 2

IMG_20210220_120259

Stayed overnight at a very old friends house, had drinks and joints catching up during the evening with our family. Went for an early morning wake and bake walk through forests outside the town of Plett. Walked by Wiskey Creek Gorge and smoked it up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLiwx9ysPSQ/

In the morning my friend wanted to take me to the local canna social club just down the road from him. Damn we drive through the gates of DankiPa farm, smell and see a beautiful garden on a hillside with a coffee shop overlooking a river and the sea. A simple signup form to become a member and as a member you reimburse to the Club the plant management fees in exchange for the produce. As per the constitution of South Africa.. Their cannabis garden is unreal. Organically grown outdoor variety of strains from original exodus cheese through to strawberry sherbert and a variety of pure sativa’s. Many of the plants are grown from clone by a seasoned master grower and his team. They manage a large space with many upliftment projects on the go. They have a local community of ladies rolling joints, providing them a sustainable salary, delivering perfectly rolled pre-rolled joints for club members to enjoy with a view. A couple joints later, we were late for lunch.

IMG_20210221_095604
IMG_20210221_095606 (2)

175916602_gardenroutecannabiscup.jpg.d1cf90029f9ebcb38124dc8ef28ed07b.jpg

Back through Port Elizabeth on the way back home and went to the Pottery coffee shop, nursery and social club. Their membership processing is a bit longer, but you can buy a day pass. I walked around their fully stocked shop of a headshop, custom glass rigs, bongs, grinders etc, also have a inhouse produced nutrient solutions and small growshop supplies store. I enjoyed a cup of coffee while speaking with the very talented owner of the social club, who was definatley in high spirits about the success within the community about this slick venue. Two cups of coffee and off to the latest growshop to open in Port Elizabeth with a dude from Sunshine coast Genetics.

IMG_20210223_114910
IMG_20210223_130636

The Gro Bro

The Gro Bro is a friendly, welcoming smile, clean shop, packed with indoor and outdoor products. The owner Hugo is a gem, keen to answer questions, show you around, talk about the best products for your growing needs. I was introduced to him via Sunshine Coast Genetics, another gem and had a lekker long conversation about growing cannabis, preventative maintenance, nutes etc. Loved the fact that he specializes in organics, his preferred method, however he does stock synthetics too for the commercial dudes.

Saw many top brands in the shop, GH, Biobizz, Dirty Hands, Organic Matters, Umya Nutrients, the trim bin bag, some futuristic life time warranty grinders made from medical grade plastic endorsed by Snoop!!! And then my favorite, a top shelf of Fullmelt Filtration Bubble bags. I was sold, I knew this is my new favorite local grow shop. If you in the area, looking for knowledgeable service with a smile, Hugo at the Gro Bro is your man. 10 Frank Street, Newton Park. I will be back for sure.

IMG_20210223_141152
IMG_20210223_141735
IMG_20210223_142320

A couple more pictures of views over Buffalo Bay and some clones I collected along the way.

*: By The Way Port Elizabeth has just changed its name to Gqeberha a couple days ago. So any mentions in future I mean Gqeberha.

IMG_20210220_130945
IMG_20210223_101816

IMG_20210219_083022

The Map route I travelled, from the sunshine coast through the garden route of South Africa.

cannabis roadtrip 2021

Edited by Chris Jay
  • Like 3