LED Lighting for Beginner

Johnny

Hi Guys

So i have been doing my research for led grow lights. I started off with a 22w QB with meanwell, however i still feel its limiting in certain factors. So i carried on the search. I then came across LEON and African Roots Horticulture.

African Roots Horticulture have a 380W fixture for R8499 which boasts around 880-905 umol/s.

LEON have a 550W unit going for around R8800 and is around 2.5mol per watt.

The reason i ask you guys for your help is it is a large amount of money however i wish to buy the correct equipment from the start!

Anybody use these lights by any chance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 2

Bro that is a bus load of money for lights. First things first, what is your grow area? Are you willing to do a little import and diy?

For that price I would rather buy some Samsung strips off Digikey and make my own light. Check the DIY part of the forum and you will find some nice builds.

If you not into building your own then check out @Master_G he making some really nice lights at a very respectable price. 

I dont know the 2 suppliers you have mentioned so I cannot comment on them.

• Agree 1

Is a bit of a repetition ^^ but light is for most the most confusing part.

@Bakstein420 the Samsung diodes are just one, there are more producing LED diodes. For Samsung, stick to the LM301B or H diodes.

The more important selection are the frequency ranges and board setups you can choose. They offer usually a range from 2500k to 6000k, pure white or combined with infra red or ultra violet diodes.

I personal only go for 3000k 660nm, so included infra red.. but I avoid any UV on the board. 

That's to the DIY.. you pay a bit for your light from the shop as they (should) come with the hanging instructions. Distance for germ, veg and flower.. those are very important figures. To much light is especially bad during germ and most people do the mistake in this step. 

@Johnny You do it right.. ask and inform yourself as good as you can. Those lights cost.. but then again, Eskom will over take the cost of the light within a year. Look that you run the light in regards to your grow space. Going over 450 watt on a 1.2mx1.2m area is wasting energy, in my opinion. So what ever you buy, check that the lamp comes with instructions how to hang it for the three stages. It will reflect in your grow success.. 

Wish you the best of luck and may the weed be with you ^^

Read up here.. gives you an idea what shape of light you want:

Edited by Prom
since when can i type? ^^ added the link
  • Like 2