Intake Filters (not to be confused with carbon filters)

Teal Smith

Hey everyone! Needing some advice from experienced growers. Almost ready to get started but I need an intake filter to scrub the air of dust, pollen, mold spores etc. I want only clean air coming into my tent.

It seems intake filters are not as talked about as carbon filters... why is this? Not may places sell them it seems.... Carbon filters cannot be used to filter these kinds of particles, and are for scrubbing air of smell, as you know.

Picture of intake filter below. Is this something that most people just don't install? Is there a better, more cost effective alternative? What do you guys do to make sure only clean air comes into your tents or rooms? HEPA filters would work well, but doesn't seem like they are available to add directly onto the end of the ducting. Am I missing something? Help is appreciated :-trip TIA

T

phresh-intake-filter-4-in-x-6-in-140-cfm__51EOeuH4S1L.jpg

• Like 1

Hey brother, 

I'm not sure so will let either @CreX or @Ill_Evan reply if they can.

I'd say off the top my head though, that the small white filter in your picture is basically the same as the pre filter on a carbon filter, and forgive me but wouldn't a carbon filter stop particles from going through too?

Or DIY, a car intake cone filter maybe if you get a good one🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Teal Smith said:

It seems intake filters are not as talked about as carbon filters... why is this?

Because it is usually incredibly cumbersome for the homegrower to even bother with filtering their intake properly to even make use of it. Anyone interested would most likely do a DIY HEPA filter to stand any chance of stopping spores coming into your grow room. 

If you are experiencing a lot of dust, pollen, mold spores etc in your already indoor environment, maybe consider relocating where you're growing. Keep it simple stupid. 

• Thanks 2

I had same issue, my dad in Germany solved it. He gets 10m HEPA cloth on a roll. Bit to much, but i will get 4m2 to start, i wanna put it in my intake window directly. So i check import cost, if reasonable, i check to get some more. Problem... Post Office 🤫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Prom said:

I had same issue, my dad in Germany solved it. He gets 10m HEPA cloth on a roll. Bit to much, but i will get 4m2 to start, i wanna put it in my intake window directly. So i check import cost, if reasonable, i check to get some more. Problem... Post Office 🤫

Don't worry comrade, “The South African Post Office now delivers parcels efficiently and without delays with the margins of error reduced to zero percent,” the SAPO said in its latest marketing campaign.

/s

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/322366-sa-post-office-we-deliver-parcels-without-delays-or-problems.html

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Don't worry comrade, “The South African Post Office now delivers parcels efficiently and without delays with the margins of error reduced to zero percent,” the SAPO said in its latest marketing campaign.

/s

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/322366-sa-post-office-we-deliver-parcels-without-delays-or-problems.html

😂

They can talk kack, can't they?!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StickyD420 said:

Hey brother, 

I'm not sure so will let either @CreX or @Ill_Evan reply if they can.

I'd say off the top my head though, that the small white filter in your picture is basically the same as the pre filter on a carbon filter, and forgive me but wouldn't a carbon filter stop particles from going through too?

Or DIY, a car intake cone filter maybe if you get a good one🤷‍♂️

Hey man! No carbon filters do not filter out dust, pollen etc. so wouldn't work unfortunately. Thanks for getting the others in on this 🤜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ill_Evan said:

Because it is usually incredibly cumbersome for the homegrower to even bother with filtering their intake properly to even make use of it. Anyone interested would most likely do a DIY HEPA filter to stand any chance of stopping spores coming into your grow room. 

If you are experiencing a lot of dust, pollen, mold spores etc in your already indoor environment, maybe consider relocating where you're growing. Keep it simple stupid. 

Hey! Who you callin' stupid! :-hilarious:-greenthumb

Thanks, man.  I don't really have alot of dust pollen etc. Just thought it would be a good idea to avoid any trouble with the grow later. I've invested a lot and want to make sure! I figured paying a little extra for an intake filter would give me extra insurance.... They aren't bulky, smaller than a carbon filter... but can't find em anywhere!

So you're saying that it's not necessary, then?? 

45 minutes ago, Prom said:

I wasn't aware you could buy HEPA on a roll... That would work very well for the vents on the 1 tent, and I was actually looking for something like that but Ya, importing and all that... would prefer to buy local as I want to get started now.  But for the bigger tent I have an exhaust and intake, and would like to put a filter, like in the picture I attached, on that. The intake comes from the room and I'd prefer it if it could filter the air to avoid issues down the line. 

... I was also told by someone who works with HEPA filters that they need a series of progressive larger filters 1st, otherwise the larger particles will go straight into the HEPA and you'll need to replace it after a few weeks.... But not sure if that's true....

4 minutes ago, Teal Smith said:

Hey! Who you callin' stupid! :-hilarious:-greenthumb

Thanks, man.  I don't really have alot of dust pollen etc. Just thought it would be a good idea to avoid any trouble with the grow later. I've invested a lot and want to make sure! I figured paying a little extra for an intake filter would give me extra insurance.... They aren't bulky, smaller than a carbon filter... but can't find em anywhere!

So you're saying that it's not necessary, then?? 

Haha, naah KISS is just a term I've picked up on recently and I've been stuffing it in anywhere I can like a fat kid with cupcakes.

An intake filter is something someone considers as a last resort. Problem with powdery mildew? Maybe lessen your humidity first, or increase your air circulation, or even try a PM residence strain etc. 

Maintaining an intake filter can be hard work, especially if you're uncertain whether it's fully necessary. 

Also consider whether you are scrubbing the air into the room your tent is situated, or simply just the air going into the tent. If it is the latter, simply unzipping your tent to work on your plants will render your entire intake scrubbing setup useless. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ill_Evan said:

Haha, naah KISS is just a term I've picked up on recently and I've been stuffing it in anywhere I can like a fat kid with cupcakes.

An intake filter is something someone considers as a last resort. Problem with powdery mildew? Maybe lessen your humidity first, or increase your air circulation, or even try a PM residence strain etc. 

Maintaining an intake filter can be hard work, especially if you're uncertain whether it's fully necessary. 

Also consider whether you are scrubbing the air into the room your tent is situated, or simply just the air going into the tent. If it is the latter, simply unzipping your tent to work on your plants will render your entire intake scrubbing setup useless. 

hahahaha.... Yeah I know, I use KISS alot myself, it's become a thing in our household too :-thumbsup.

Well, I haven't actually started the grow yet. Unfortunately my order from 8 WEEKS ago :-hairpull is still missing some essential items, so I am staring at a nice setup that's 90% finished but I can't move forward... The intake filter is an after thought, really... I just figured it would help keep the grow as simple as possible (KTGASAP) lol

So since my intake is already coming from a clean room inside a well insulated building, I guess it's not necessary, then?

Yeah, your last point is a good one... I will be running an adjustable dehumidifier complete with HEPA filter already installed in the machine, in the room where the tent is. I suppose that would make the need for an intake filter even more redundant... 

I always try do things the best I can, but the intake filter is now starting to sound like overkill... Thanks so much, man 🤜

• Like 1

IllEvan, bud that is such great info! Thanks! Looks like pantyhose are a solid competitor!! They won't stop spores and pollen but will stop some of it, and alot of other airbourne particles too. Great idea!
Maybe I could try placing 2 or 3 over each other to increase the filtration. Shouldn't be a problem for the 6" fan....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

I agree, i only go the extra mile as i want to breed some autos. If a shop wants to import HEPA cloth directly, contact me, and i pass you the direct contact. I would prefer no import hassle too 😁 They ship to registered companies in SA too. 

I wouldnt stress to much about the air intake, if you just run feminized plants. If you have males on the property, you have a bit more hassle to watch out for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

IllEvan, My setup requires the intake to come from inside of the room so although that DIY filter box looks pretty good, I don't think I'll need it, after reading what you've said.

1 - Intake inside, so already "filtered' a little by the building itself
2 - Dehumidifier inside the room has a HEPA.
3 - I also have a air purifier with HEPA and UVC light, that I'm using for something else but I can steal that for this purpose!
4 - Add a couple pantyhose to the intake and I think the combo of these things will do the trick!

4 minutes ago, Teal Smith said:

Shouldn't be a problem for the 6" fan....

As in your exhaust? The problem with covering a passive intake with pantyhose is that you will inevitably create major negative pressure to the point you actually reduce your tent space inside because of how the tent sucks itself in. This is a problem I experienced until I threw in a 4" intake with a little more direction from where my air was being taken in from. 

2 minutes ago, Prom said:

I agree, i only go the extra mile as i want to breed some autos. If a shop wants to import HEPA cloth directly, contact me, and i pass you the direct contact. I would prefer no import hassle too 😁 They ship to registered companies in SA too. 

I wouldnt stress to much about the air intake, if you just run feminized plants. If you have males on the property, you have a bit more hassle to watch out for.

Thanks Prom! Seems like the HEPA roll thing will be overkill for my current requirements. Good to know though, that there is material like that. Maybe a future project.... Appreciate it man!

1 minute ago, Ill_Evan said:

As in your exhaust? The problem with covering a passive intake with pantyhose is that you will inevitably create major negative pressure to the point you actually reduce your tent space inside because of how the tent sucks itself in. This is a problem I experienced until I threw in a 4" intake with a little more direction from where my air was being taken in from. 

Nah, the 6" is the intake, and the exhaust is an 8" pushing the air outside. The 2 fans should help with the negative pressure. I'd put the pantyhose over the intake inside the room. That sound right to you?

Just now, Teal Smith said:

Nah, the 6" is the intake, and the exhaust is an 8" pushing the air outside. The 2 fans should help with the negative pressure. I'd put the pantyhose over the intake inside the room. That sound right to you?

That's power. You'll have no problems my man. Just watch how quickly them panties dirty up faster than a prozzy on Church Street though.

• Haha 1