New grower, first attempt (indoors)

zolrooker

On another note, i wanted to get whatever else i needed for the rest of my grow, until harvest and curing etc. Think im gonna still get:

-humidity controller with a small dehumidifier

-seal-able glass jars (Any particular one you guys recommend?)

- @Prom previously recommended that i get boveda moisture regulating bags. Is this something that is used for curing? Or for general humidity control in the grow space?

-Pruning scissor (Any particlar type?)

-Carbon filter (Does size matter when it comes to carbon filter? Also,...anyone do a DIY filter?? Its just activated carbon as far as i understand...)

Anything else i need to flowering and harvest, curing etc that i may be missing?

Edited by zolrooker

12 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

On another note, i wanted to get whatever else i needed for the rest of my grow, until harvest and curing etc. Think im gonna still get:

-humidity controller with a small dehumidifier

-seal-able glass jars (Any particular one you guys recommend?)

- @Prom previously recommended that i get boveda moisture regulating bags. Is this something that is used for curing? Or for general humidity control in the grow space?

-Pruning scissor (Any particlar type?)

-Carbon filter (Does size matter when it comes to carbon filter? Also,...anyone do a DIY filter?? Its just activated carbon as far as i understand...)

Anything else i need to flowering and harvest, curing etc that i may be missing?

Nice brother. Shopping is always fun.

Pruning scissor not a must. I believe a heavy duty scissor would work.

The boveda packs are to maintain correct humidity in the jars. When storing.

Glass jars. Anything that seals properly. 

Hygrometer would be a good thing to get for the drying area. And jars for monitoring.

With regards to the filter. Cant help u. As i have no idea. 

A pocket scale would be a needed too later on. 

Ph pen is good. And if u dont mind spending some extra cash. Get a TDS meter too. Its cheaper then the ph pen.

And a small microscope - for checking when to harvest.

Edited by afternoon blazer
More info

2 minutes ago, afternoon blazer said:

Nice brother. Shopping is always fun.

Pruning scissor not a must. I believe a heavy duty scissor would work.

The boveda packs are to maintain correct humidity in the jars. When storing.

Glass jars. Anything that seals properly. 

Hygrometer would be a good thing to get for the drying area. And jars for monitoring.

With regards to the filter. Cant help u. As i have no idea. 

A pocket scale would be a needed too later on. 

Ph pen is good. And if u dont mind spending some extra cash. Get a TDS meter too. Its cheaper then the ph pen.

And a small microscope - for checking when to harvest.

Thanks brother.

The humidity controller im getting is also a hygrometer, so ill use my current hygrometer for the drying area if needed. Already have a small kitchen scale and liquid PH test (Will invest in the pen afterwards)

Would a smartphone with macro camera suffice as a substitute for microscope?

13 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Thanks brother.

The humidity controller im getting is also a hygrometer, so ill use my current hygrometer for the drying area if needed. Already have a small kitchen scale and liquid PH test (Will invest in the pen afterwards)

Not sure about the macro camera. Not fimiliar.

I just got back from shopping.

Got my jars. And boveidas. Also ph down. Bought a ph test kit last week. Not the best. But helps.

And got some slightly larger fabric pots for my next grow. Got some exciting seeds coming through this week.

20200804_114220.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, afternoon blazer said:

Not sure about the macro camera. Not fimiliar.

I just got back from shopping.

Got my jars. And boveidas. Also ph down. Bought a ph test kit last week. Not the best. But helps.

And got some slightly larger fabric pots for my next grow. Got some exciting seeds coming through this week.

20200804_114220.jpg

Nice buddy. What seeds you getting?

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

Thanks brother.

I use my stock camera on my phone, no special things, just zoom till x5 for the below style, or x10 for closer.

Hold it steady is key

20200802_115237-02.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StickyD420 said:

I use my stock camera on my phone, no special things, just zoom till x5 for the below style, or x10 for closer.

Hold it steady is key

20200802_115237-02.jpeg

Would never have thought so. Not even sure what im looking at, but it looks amazing lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, afternoon blazer said:

Its a awsome zoom bro. But u know u got that fancy shit.

But would u be able to tell if its cloudy or not with it? 

Nothing fancy about my phone, was outdated when I bought it, and its plenty years old now🙈

I use it for checking, but a jewel's loop work far better, definitely. I can see the cloudy and amber tricks easy enough with what I have on hand so far.

20200804_174813.jpg

• Like 3

Really not sure which path to take.. Already have 3 plants, so if you say that LST will help then ill start reading up more on it. When would i need to start the LST?
Was thinking of topping soon.. just need to get some proper pruning scissors first? Unless i can use a stanley knife for the topping?
What would i need for LST if i decide to dome some of that? Soft plant ties?

Start LST as soon as they're around 5 nodes I would say.
You can top around the same age as well, but I suggest waiting a bit longer since you're just trying to get some growth going.

You can use a Stanley if you clean it off well - I've used it before to top, defoliate and take clones - although a pruning scissor makes the world of a difference.

Soft wire ties are generally better since they don't pose a risk of damaging the plants skin when training, but I find that it isn't that rigid and can be quite heavy for a young tree.

I use the thinner, more stiff wire for training, since it holds the plant where you want it.
Be careful not to let the wire cut into the skin of the young trees if you choose this as well though.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks guys, ive been reading up a bit on LST and i think ill give it a go.. Just need to get some ties etc and will give it a crack! Not really too sure how best to do it, but im just going to tie the taller branches down and try to create an even canopy, allowing for max sections of the plant to be directly exposed to the light as i can.

• Like 1

@TheUltimateNoob Regarding LST.. Does it basically just involve tying the main stem down? Any tips or advice you can give me, by looking at the pics above on how i can tie it if i decide to go LST?
Yeah it's just tying the tree down so that the lower branches get more light and go through a growth spurt.

Right now I say that the side branches are still a bit too small to train, but once they come up to about 3 or 4 nodes, it's time for bondage, lol.

Here's a link to my plushberry microgrow journal, in which topped and used some creative lst to get a small uniform tree. You can use some idea from there.

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/harvested-the-1-sq-ft-microgrow-plushberry.1547663/

A good way to lst would be to tie the intended branches, that are growing strain up, parallel to your soil. This way it will expose all the sites along the main stem to way more light and be much more efficient.

You could navigate to my profile (TheUltimateNoob) on GC forums, click grow journals, and have a look at them.
Its a few grows from when I was starting off and experimenting with LST & HST.

The blue dream, afghan kush, plushberry, and bonsai mother journals will help you get some ideas for LST.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

Yeah it's just tying the tree down so that the lower branches get more light and go through a growth spurt.

Right now I say that the side branches are still a bit too small to train, but once they come up to about 3 or 4 nodes, it's time for bondage, lol.

Here's a link to my plushberry microgrow journal, in which topped and used some creative lst to get a small uniform tree. You can use some idea from there.

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/harvested-the-1-sq-ft-microgrow-plushberry.1547663/

A good way to lst would be to tie the intended branches, that are growing strain up, parallel to your soil. This way it will expose all the sites along the main stem to way more light and be much more efficient.

You could navigate to my profile (TheUltimateNoob) on GC forums, click grow journals, and have a look at them.

The blue dream, afghan kush, plushberry, and bonsai mother journals will help you get some ideas for LST.

Thanks bud! Will have a look 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, TheUltimateNoob said:

Hey there bud.. Will these twist ties do the job, or should I try to get the ones that are labeled as 'soft' 

Also, you mentioned that the side branches are too small and that I should wait for 3-4 nodes. Not sure exactly what you mean by that lol. That main stem has about 5 nodes.. Are there some other nodes I should be looking at?

IMG_20200807_111751.thumb.jpg.5a6841d196e4c9063c63017269cc858f.jpg

• Like 1

Hey there bud.. Will these twist ties do the job, or should I try to get the ones that are labeled as 'soft' 
Also, you mentioned that the side branches are too small and that I should wait for 3-4 nodes. Not sure exactly what you mean by that lol. That main stem has about 5 nodes.. Are there some other nodes I should be looking at?
IMG_20200807_111751.thumb.jpg.5a6841d196e4c9063c63017269cc858f.jpg

Those are the ties I use bro.

Okay so first, sorry for the ambiguity.

The first time you're going to LST, you would be tying the main stem over to expose the lower branches... This is where the tree should be like 5 or 6 nodes tall so that it has enough stem to actually bend over and by this time the main stem will have some nice structure to it but still be able to be manipulated.

When you're planning to LST a branch, my suggestion would be for you to wait for the branch develop 3 or 4 nodes off the main stem and then tie it down so that you'll be able to cover some decent area and also ensure there is enough internodal spacing between the new growth tips on the branch for your new lateral branches to spring up with room to grow.

I was just referring the the main stem nodes and the side branch nodes separately.

Effective LST would be tying down the main stem, letting the side branches grow out and then tying those down again...

Repeat the cycle until you're happy with how big of a footprint your tree has (keeping in mind the growth spurt it will go through in flower)

Then once you flower the tree, majority of the lateral branches that came up during and after all the LST will all sort of become main colas, and end up more uniform.

• Like 2

Those are the ties I use bro.

Okay so first, sorry for the ambiguity.

The first time you're going to LST, you would be tying the main stem over to expose the lower branches... This is where the tree should be like 5 or 6 nodes tall so that it has enough stem to actually bend over and by this time the main stem will have some nice structure to it but still be able to be manipulated.

When you're planning to LST a branch, my suggestion would be for you to wait for the branch develop 3 or 4 nodes off the main stem and then tie it down so that you'll be able to cover some decent area and also ensure there is enough internodal spacing between the new growth tips on the branch for your new lateral branches to spring up with room to grow.

I was just referring the the main stem nodes and the side branch nodes separately.

Effective LST would be tying down the main stem, letting the side branches grow out and then tying those down again...

Repeat the cycle until you're happy with how big of a footprint your tree has (keeping in mind the growth spurt it will go through in flower)

Then once you flower the tree, majority of the lateral branches that came up during and after all the LST will all sort of become main colas, and end up more uniform.

Ok thanks bro, I will have a look tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do. So basically I should just tie down the main stem for now and then wait for the other branches to grow 3-4 nodes right? ?  

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

Ok thanks bro, I will have a look tonight or tomorrow and see what I can do. So basically I should just tie down the main stem for now and then wait for the other branches to grow 3-4 nodes right? ? emoji120.pngemoji109.png 

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

yeah pretty much... you'll start to get a feel for when you should start tying them down

• Thanks 1