Advice for a new grower

zolrooker

The low humidity and high temp will dry it out faster yes, you'll have to gauge it as its something we cant teach you as it depends on many things, you'll see and feel when water is needed.

You can get a cooler, or bring in air faster, if its cooler outside, or at push an aircon. 

You might have issues with a more powerful light and temp.

• Like 1

Thanks brother! Ill take some pics tonight. Can I add the 75w led to the mix as well as a supplemental light ? I guess the more the better? My main light is 3500k and supplemental has mostly Reds (which I believe will be beneficial in the flowering stage apparently) . See pic below. Ignore where it says 216w lol-2126330373-1836593570.thumb.jpg.b1e6de8d1ae1ec59b657531f935fbaf1.jpg
I've completed a grow with a similar light, it flowered really well. Got around 0.83g/w. I think it would make a good supplemental in flower

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

This seems now like it might be a problem. I left everything running from about 6 am. 6 hours later and the temp almost hit 30deg. How can I control it? Should I get a cooler? IMG_20200709_120856.thumb.jpg.8f4ffeb76bd5d5c0e11e82ebd68e5387.jpg

As a side note, if you have issues with heat...

One thing you can do, and it stabilizes the temps more which is what you want ideally, a stable and less changing temps.

Change your grow around, if your lights come on at 6am and off at 6pm, for example, then you rather run the lights at night when its cooler, and off in the day when its hottest, so on at 6pm and off at 6am, flowering example.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, TheUltimateNoob said:

I've completed a grow with a similar light, it flowered really well. Got around 0.83g/w. I think it would make a good supplemental in floweremoji1362.png

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Great stuff! Good to hear.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StickyD420 said:

As a side note, if you have issues with heat...

One thing you can do, and it stabilizes the temps more which is what you want ideally, a stable and less changing temps.

Change your grow around, if your lights come on at 6am and off at 6pm, for example, then you rather run the lights at night when its cooler, and off in the day when its hottest, so on at 6pm and off at 6am, flowering example.

Will see what happens. Might run it like that for now, while i look for a suitable cooler.

Thinking of getting this

Can i then hook this up along with the heater to my temp controller and maintain a temperature between 24-29. If it hits 29, cooler will kick in, if it hits 21, heater will bring it back to 25.  

Will constant temperature swings like this be an issue?

1 minute ago, zolrooker said:

That's out of the question for me unfortunately as i want to keep my grow space discreet lol

i get the whole discreet vibe lol - i too used to be a discreet grower 

but i didnt have much in the way of foot traffic during the day and it was acceptable for me to leave the cupboard open during the day.

but if i had visitors, it was easy to close up and be discreet again

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CreX said:

i get the whole discreet vibe lol - i too used to be a discreet grower 

but i didnt have much in the way of foot traffic during the day and it was acceptable for me to leave the cupboard open during the day.

but if i had visitors, it was easy to close up and be discreet again

Id rather not risk it tbh as im not home during the day haha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Id rather not risk it tbh as im not home during the day haha

no stress home slice - risk is real!

most of us would not be as open as we are if the laws still firmly opposed it, and im sure when they provide us with guidelines there will be many more who will brave this mighty plant!

• Like 1

i was having a look at this thread from the starting your own grow section - lol - 

this thread has properly blown up and become one of the most popular and most frequented topics on the whole forum!!!

well done mate, you are well on your way to becoming green fingered hooligan like the rest of us!

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, CreX said:

i was having a look at this thread from the starting your own grow section - lol - 

this thread has properly blown up and become one of the most popular and most frequented topics on the whole forum!!!

well done mate, you are well on your way to becoming green fingered hooligan like the rest of us!

Haha, i didnt realise that. Love it! Lots to learn and looking forward to the journey.

Edited by zolrooker

So, i think im just going to move my plants to my grow space tonight and run the lights at night. Maybe leave the lights off between 9AM and 3PM and get a small cooler which might only be used in those few hours that the lights are on during the day. Would that potentially work? Or are there other times that you guys suggest?

Other option is for me to leave the seedlings in the temporary space i have them in currently as the temp is no issue there and then transfer to the main cabinet when its no longer considered a seedling

Edited by zolrooker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, StickyD420 said:

Sweet, then get the details from Master G on the height at that output dimmed, and cant wait to see your progress and adventures with us.

Peace🤜🤛

@zolrooker, does your powersupply dim? reach out to @Master_G to see if you can reduce the wattage of your light by a bit ...that will help a lot with your temps too

1 hour ago, zolrooker said:

Also, my jiffys seems very dry and it's only been 1 and a half day since I watered 

go check my current grow out and see how my jiffies work - i have a bowl or saucer works fine too, and i make sure the saucer never gets dry, always keep 2 or 3 mm of water on the saucer and have not lost a seed since i tried this - i wet the whole jiffy on day 1, then just make sure the saucer stays wet and the coco wicks up the water to create the perfect environment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CreX said:

@zolrooker, does your powersupply dim? reach out to @Master_G to see if you can reduce the wattage of your light by a bit ...that will help a lot with your temps too

go check my current grow out and see how my jiffies work - i have a bowl or saucer works fine too, and i make sure the saucer never gets dry, always keep 2 or 3 mm of water on the saucer and have not lost a seed since i tried this - i wet the whole jiffy on day 1, then just make sure the saucer stays wet and the coco wicks up the water to create the perfect environment

Great idea, ill have a look at your grow soon. I added some water to my "tray" earlier and let the jiffy suck it up from the bottom like @StickyD420 suggested. If keeping 2-3mm of water in the tray works for you then i think im definitely gonna do that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zolrooker said:

Great idea, ill have a look at your grow soon. I added some water to my "tray" earlier and let the jiffy suck it up from the bottom like @StickyD420 suggested. If keeping 2-3mm of water in the tray works for you then i think im definitely gonna do that.

due to the length of this post - i went back 2 pages and may have missed your tray and jiffies post or not gone back far enough haha

hows about a new one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CreX said:

due to the length of this post - i went back 2 pages and may have missed your tray and jiffies post or not gone back far enough haha

hows about a new one?

This is how i have it set up atm. i was over-watering it in the beginning and now ive stopped watering as much for the past couple of days and have have seen an improvement . Was trying to find a balance on how much to water since it seems like the heater and fan are drying it out a little quicker than first anticipated.. but if i can just add water to the bottom, to the point where there is a little excess water floating around, that would be perfect . jiffy.jpg.f1c805b128ebd569ae7021402a90d994.jpgjif2.jpg.de6b415e1ac8e9c56acac922c7af243e.jpg

Edited by zolrooker
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CreX said:

do it!!!

just a few mm deep, nothing crazy

i was topping up the saucer every morning because the it was dry - but never from the top of the jiffy unless the jiffy is obviously dry

Great stuff, will do that then. Maybe ill just get a small spray bottle and give a small spray or two on top if it ever seems too dry..