Dank's blend: Kush Cookies

SmokeyZero

Good morning All. 

Big thank you to Mr @Dank for giving me the opportunity to grow one of his creations..

IMG_20200105_095757_547.thumb.jpg.8171fba4a47eff4f4defb9f8016abeaf.jpg

I received these beans a while ago but due to my first introduction to the pets from hell (red spider mites) I have not germinated earlier. These Lil buggers got me so negative I almost didn't want to do a next grow. My grow space is in the garage and it's not the easiest place to keep these buggers away. I finished up the flowering ladies with a terrible infestation and even the clones I took was suffering under the red devils. 

Did some reading on the forum and dicided to get some pyrol and nuke them on the clones and it seemed to have worked, they resumed with normal green leaves without the little spots and also straight, no more curling.

I feel like I might win this battle,  now to start with a proper IPM and try some companion plants that can attract some friendlies.

I germinated a few strains and for the first time I experienced damping off.  😱

What was this thing "damping off" ? Well it is spider mites cousin from the other corner of hell, death was on my door step again! The seeds all popped and they were all planted each strain x 3

I decided to go with: 

Kush cookies (Dank's blend) 

Wedding gelato 

Blue amnesia auto

Euphoria Auto

They looked healthy like normal and suddenly the first one went down, after that it was like the in thing to do amongst them and bam!!

At this stage I was checking if "my guy" is still available on whatsapp cause I know this last harvest won't last and I will probably have to get some "good SHIT" from the always smiling salesman. 

Again I surfed the forum for advice and decided to transplant the remaining seedlings, two to be exact. The rest all dead like a seedling graveyard.

Luckily one of the survivors was a Kush cookie from dank. 

IMG_20200102_061933_614.thumb.jpg.90dacffbfe08b8e68e5c72dbea246b36.jpg

I got some of those coco plugs and followed the advice on the forum and popped two more kush cookie seeds with the plugs and so far no damping off issues, I think the problem was maybe over watering on my side. 

So...  I'm still growing and hopefully have the pests sorted, damping off sorted.  Next round of flowering will kick off in about 2/3 weeks.  

The Kush cookie will be nurtured until I can take some clones for the DWC run, and flower her out to see how she smokes. (one of the 3 should be a female *positive thinking*)

I will keep you guys updated with their progress.

• Like 3

@SmokeyZero 

Shit bru sorry about all the hiccups. I'm glad you haven't given up growing. Pyrol will kill those little red devils. Neem afterwards will hamper reproduction and repeated Pyrol will kill off the remaining. 

Damping off sucks, I've posted alot about it to assist new growers from not suffering that fate. Overwatering or germinating seeds in a medium that's too wet definitely increases chances of it. Those coco puks you using to me are the best for germinating seeds. The main thing to always practice with seeds  and clones is sanitizing everything and keeping it clean. 

All the luck in the days to come.

• Like 2

@Mambawana shot thanks bro,  I have been reading a lot of your comments and they full of advice, something I never though about in DWC and I was doing it,  just topping up with fresh Nutes into the res, then you mentioned that a person have no idea what the plants have been eating so topping up with Nutes can give you a build up on the elements the plant not using up.  That was *ah ha* moment for me. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yo @SmokeyZero sorry to hear about the mites man, and big thanks for popping some beans and making a thread here on the LocalGenetics section, salut! 💪

This year has been the year of the mite so far, in severe infestations, or annoying ones (like motherplants infected) you can follow up with a generous dusting under the leaves with some diatomaceous earth (after the leaves are dry). I use a fine brush almost like a makeup brush to dust the undersides of the leaves. Then I try not to wet the leaves for a few days, DE on the topsides of the leaves will stick to the surface when it gets wet, but with a good rinse it comes of easy enough, anyhow, the DE shreds the little new born mites, a great help in the battle.

DE also provides silicate to soil biology when it gets watered in eventually (silicate is responsible for nice strong cell walls). :-greenthumb

Best of luck bro, and thanks again for the plug! 

Edited by Dank
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CreX said:

Damn dude!! I can't imagine dusting the whole plant.... I sprayed all my ladies with pyrol, topside and underside, and it took me 2 hours!!! 

It's not the worst job in the world :-puffin  there are better and easier methods to do this, but dusting under the leaves once in a while is not too bad. 

Defoliating a bit beforehand can also make the job a lot easier, thought I'd mention the DE as it can help a lot with the mites.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

Spidermites lay their eggs underside of leaves. I have heard though that spidermites can also have some form dormancy in the medium. Worries me abit as I recycle all my indoor coco. 

I've used DE against fungus gnats, sprinkled it on top of the coco and bottom fed. Boy did I make a gooey mess and the gnats just laughed at me. Will give the dusting a shot one day.

Defoliation as dank mentioned is always my 1st step against mites, thrips, etc. It removes alot of them and their eggs and allows better coverage with the spray.

Pyrol as crex mentioned is very effective at eliminating dem mites. A few applications and that's the end of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I've had good results with Ecobuz pestpro, contains bacteria that targets spidermite.
Saw it at Builders and gave it a go, now it's part of my ipm.
I have also read that ash from the braai can also be used for dusting. Not sure if ash and DE have the same sharp microscopic edges.

Spidermites are tough bliksems so I like to go at them from multiple angles and wipe them out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Dank its my pleasure bro, I will definitely incorporate the DE to my grows and keep that in the arsenal.

@Mambawana I have done two applications with pyrol on the plants i have now and i can see a difference already, checking leave for any sign of life but so far it seems to have done the trick. Only thing now is to keep at it every two weeks and make sure they don't come back.

@Bospatrollie2 I actually came across Ecobuz when i just finished my harvest, i bought a pack and used it on my Veg plants and clones, i used two of the packets and didn't really notice any change but dude i had them bad, i think it will work well for small infestation and will definitely keep this in my IPM. luckily its safe to use during flowering. 

• Like 1

@Dank its my pleasure bro, I will definitely incorporate the DE to my grows and keep that in the arsenal.

@Mambawana I have done two applications with pyrol on the plants i have now and i can see a difference already, checking leave for any sign of life but so far it seems to have done the trick. Only thing now is to keep at it every two weeks and make sure they don't come back.

@Bospatrollie2 I actually came across Ecobuz when i just finished my harvest, i bought a pack and used it on my Veg plants and clones, i used two of the packets and didn't really notice any change but dude i had them bad, i think it will work well for small infestation and will definitely keep this in my IPM. luckily its safe to use during flowering. 

For spidermite you need guns....and more than one, but most products can't be used during flowering so your options become very limited....which sucks.

That's why I mentioned Ecobuz, it has worked well for me but you have to apply more than once.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Update Time:

Some good growth this past week with no problems in this corner of the garage, i decided to change things up  a bit as i see some of the plants were stretching more than usual. This plant is due for a transplant and will probably do it this weekend. 

photo_2020-01-10_08-54-20.thumb.jpg.0f7d24dd898c724115f318563bd58076.jpg

photo_2020-01-10_08-54-19.thumb.jpg.929e4a3540d80b6ef896b908b72399b2.jpg

photo_2020-01-10_08-54-13.thumb.jpg.8568e26734fb28a8f5b74ef15024232c.jpg

will do an update after the transplant.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update time: 

Good morning fellow growers,  some nice growth the last few days,  have been giving them some of AACT and they really enjoying it. 

Did some closer inspection this morning and found balls, they won't get to see the end of the day.

IMG_20200201_092024_154.thumb.jpg.3d94beb8e054e580c8bbbad64e7dcd42.jpg

IMG_20200201_092022_787.thumb.jpg.8385b8b2a31dba9472908df448a1c3e8.jpg

This is the end of the road for this guy,  but not the end of the grow, I still have two more that must show their stuff. 

I will probably pop 3 more beans to find another female.

Edited by SmokeyZero
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening guys! 

All good this side. No complaints..

Have one confirmed Female, she was transplanted and got some attention from the Lil Gardner wiThis some help of his trusted helicopter checking for pests.

Did some lst and snapped the main stem, so got a nice clone and topping from it. 

IMG_20200212_212822_167.jpg

• Like 1

@Dank Explode is correct,damn she just took off. 

IMG_20200217_152104_182.thumb.jpg.53b905137820cf0c7c74261cfe063a2a.jpg

I placed her in the flowering room and she just went crazy under the hps lights,  gave her a decent dose of tea she totally loved it. 

(plant on the right) 

IMG_20200216_080056_430.thumb.jpg.24616165ef075aa49699fc0f3f3ca69a.jpg

Doing some LST and going to get a few clones, then she will be allowed to go permanently to the flower room, not going big this round just want to get some ladies done flowering. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on due to limited space at the moment, will probably take a few clones this weekend and then onto flowering.

If she leaves a good impression during flowering I will keep one of her clones for a while,  trying to build up a decent selection of good mothers to keep the flower room popping and do a nice outdoor run end of this year. 

IMG_20200226_090335_367.thumb.jpg.089e70456279b7a8be790c2494ce2b36.jpg

IMG_20200226_090331_131.thumb.jpg.01cb4dc77ee76b8f5433f47e04008b87.jpg

IMG_20200226_090332_909.thumb.jpg.9bc6b9f190d8e70bce2598c9717ff071.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good @SmokeyZero , holding thumbs that she's a keeper, pretty looking plant.

If a rub on the stem smells good at this stage she should be nice to keep for a while at least.

I would keep an eye on the stretch or lack of after she triggers flowering, the more terpy buds yield bit less and sometimes require a bit more veg time inside to increase yields, the old quantity and quality problem.

Happy growing bro, thanks for the updates! :-rolled

• 2 weeks later...

Ah what a joy to grow,  so easy and no stress. She is so eager to be trained and her new growth just shoots out. 

IMG_20200306_094320_661.thumb.jpg.ea9db3dc028e6fe7ba469ac6ef58eedc.jpg

IMG_20200306_094314_491.thumb.jpg.813bd466bf9429ced1d3cb1e1eca75ea.jpg

I have taken 4 clones and they on their way to rooting,  the mother plant will be moved into flowering this weekend as she is ready for the next stage. 

Very spicy smell at the moment but nothing I can pin point.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update long overdue.

As we all know plans don't always pan out with the plants, this lady was due for flowering a while ago but due to work and unforseen traveling she was not moved into flowering untill two weeks ago. Not totally a bad thing as she got a chance to finish off in  winter with hopefully no males  around. Repotted her into a make shift crate pot. She took off with the new space and was pushing bud sites all over.

20200508_093915.thumb.jpg.93dbe3fcf260bd4165d03e948f7485d4.jpg

She was left out side to do her thing and due to lockdown the neighbor finally got to install his new floodlight for the back, and Bam that's my whole backyard lit up. A few late night braai's and they kept that light on through the night. I couldn't move the plant to the front because the street light is hella bright, no space in the garage and the Mrs just gave me the eye balls when I mentioned bringing her indoors.

I finally made some space in the garage and then I saw those buggers, BALLS!!

20200508_093905.thumb.jpg.6c50cea85af938b56c93393607babe7e.jpg

20200509_000132.thumb.jpg.c971e553d04fdea79c978c2ba8b424ae.jpg

20200509_000127.thumb.jpg.a0fd050f02861b7df48980c70ea8d129.jpg

So the neighbor got a lesson in saving electricity especially at night when there is flowering girls around. 

Luckily I still have a few more seeds and going to pop them into water today. 

I will continue with this dairy with the new seedlings soon..

20200509_000123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eish sorry about dem balls bro, it does happen in the KushCookies selection, sometime due to stress, sometimes just that herm gene popping out.

The neighbor with the light situation could have added enough stress for her to herm. 

Best pop at least 10 beans next run, expect maybe 1 or 2 herms to get culled.

Thanks for the update bro, appreciated, and best of luck with the next run! 

:-thumbsup

Edited by Dank
  • Thanks 1