The Mellow Fellow Grow Diary 3.0

Ill_Evan

Good day fellow growers!

The next grow is underway at long last. After moving places and getting all my necessities setup, I am super stoked to start a grow diary following the progress for you to enjoy.

The setup:

20191004_103914.thumb.jpg.fb2d3c4553b9e1f561792494548da527.jpg

80x80x180 Tent 

6 inch HIT Fan + 6 inch filter

This time around going for two smaller 15 litre DWC cooler boxes instead of one 30 litre cooler box

Regent 9500 Duel Air Pump, one airstone in each DWC pumping 120l/h of oxygen to each plant

Lumii Cool Tube for HID lighting

Starting off with the 250W MH bulb just until I get 3 nodes or so and then will swap out for the 400W MH bulb. My intentions going with two cooler boxes this time around is to experiment with longer flowering time as I do not have to keep one plant in vegetation as long for potentially the same yield and also maybe get some beefier buds in the end. 

PH sitting at 5.7, PPM is 250, reservoir temp chilling at a cool 20C and humidity currently sitting at an average of 35%. I do occasionally throughout the day give the girls a quick light spray with 6.0 PH water. Seedling strength nutes in the reservoirs, specifically Nutriplex trio.

Light is set to 18/6 as I believe in giving the ladies sleep.

20191004_102753.thumb.jpg.baea51468822951825f41c8c4ee64146.jpg 20191004_102649.thumb.jpg.8d3ff4400519ad39d7a3f864849c991a.jpg

Now for the fun part! I have already come to a bit of a snag with one of the ladies. Leaves have been slowly turning pale and yellow and her stem has been slowly losing strength. Decided to leave her alone for two days and prop her up with some wire but haven't seen any recovery, so I decided to take the plunge and split open the rockwool to investigate the root development. Now usually I would have just germinated a new seed, the plant that is currently doing fine took only a week to get to this point so I wouldn't lose anytime with the harvest by just popping a new seed, but I decided I want to learn a bit more on the recovery and nature of seedlings and maybe if someone comes to find themselves in a similar situation and they really can't afford to lose the seedling, then this may help.

For disclosure, I germinate using the paper towel method until the taproot is about a cm long and then pop them into 5.5 PH rockwool, keep the rockwool on a windowsill until the first razer leaves appear and then into the tent they go.

So here is what I found going on inside the rockwool:

20191004_103110.thumb.jpg.bf21d8091e60e8a937036ecdac229eca.jpg 20191004_103121.thumb.jpg.d92b81c18c9e3242531ba8b2a30f57d7.jpg 20191004_103226.thumb.jpg.8a547ea98945df080125840784604603.jpg

It appears the root formation got stuck by the seed's shell. What I am going to attempt to do is place what is left of the current stem into the rockwool right up until the plant's cotyledons and hopefully the plant will repurpose it's stem as it's initial roots. The whole seedling is now protruding through the whole rockwool and is touching the bottom of the net pot. I am expecting that the bubbles created in the reservoir will produce an aeroponics affect and feed the roots from below the netpot until the roots have grown sufficiently enough to reach the water of the reservoir. Below to the left is the outcome of the recovery setup for the struggling seedling and to the bottom right is the root forming on the healthy plant below the net pot. 

20191004_103450.thumb.jpg.66550381ed2b4e47852dd42127abee0b.jpg 20191004_103922.thumb.jpg.aa99621a6639d2bf1cd2f2e296f9d6f4.jpg 20191004_103951.thumb.jpg.19bc8258696522ce85dcd1e7c663b1a5.jpg

Next update I hope to report some recovery of the struggling seedling! Happy growing to the rest of you. 

Edit: Forgot to mention the strain! Going once again for Sweet Deep Grapefruit from Dinafem and hoping to improve on my last batch. 

Edited by Ill_Evan
Polish
  • Like 4

Oi!! 

Nice bru! I like the setup👌

I would get the seedlings closer to the light... 60cm or even 40cm...

The 250 isn't super powerful and there is little chance to burn your seedlings. 

The ppm is sharp👌 I like to add a bit of calmag in after iv added nutes. The nutriplex lacks that after a few weeks. 

Shame that poor seed!! I would move away from rockwool in favor of jiffies. 

Keep us updated! I'm subbed😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CreX said:

Oi!! 

Nice bru! I like the setup👌

I would get the seedlings closer to the light... 60cm or even 40cm...

The 250 isn't super powerful and there is little chance to burn your seedlings. 

The ppm is sharp👌 I like to add a bit of calmag in after iv added nutes. The nutriplex lacks that after a few weeks. 

Shame that poor seed!! I would move away from rockwool in favor of jiffies. 

Keep us updated! I'm subbed😉

Definitely been taking the 'less is more' approach since the seedling got crippled. Going to lower it slowly over the next few days to the optimal distance.

Will look into the calmag supp, I haven't dabbled much in supps apart from Freedom Farms Fire Juice and Kelpak.

Next seeds will be germinated and placed into jiffies. Just wanted to use the last of the rockwool cubes that I had lying around from when I first bought all my stuff 😄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Definitely been taking the 'less is more' approach since the seedling got crippled. Going to lower it slowly over the next few days to the optimal distance.

Will look into the calmag supp, I haven't dabbled much in supps apart from Freedom Farms Fire Juice and Kelpak.

Next seeds will be germinated and placed into jiffies. Just wanted to use the last of the rockwool cubes that I had lying around from when I first bought all my stuff 😄

The only thing that would kill the seeds is heat from the light. Outdoor seeds love life, and the sun is a billion trillion times stronger than a 250😜. I had lanky growth and major stretch until I brought my plants up closer to the light... As long as ventilation is good, they will thrive. 

The calmag is first prize, but the nutriplex is okay with calcium, get yourself a 500g Epsom salts from pnp and that's the mag in calmag. Excellent addition to the hydro and super cheap. 

Are you putting fire juice in the hydro?? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CreX said:

The only thing that would kill the seeds is heat from the light. Outdoor seeds love life, and the sun is a billion trillion times stronger than a 250😜. I had lanky growth and major stretch until I brought my plants up closer to the light... As long as ventilation is good, they will thrive. 

The calmag is first prize, but the nutriplex is okay with calcium, get yourself a 500g Epsom salts from pnp and that's the mag in calmag. Excellent addition to the hydro and super cheap. 

Are you putting fire juice in the hydro?? 

These ladies are gonna chow light then 😄 will move them closer 

Schweet, will get myself some epsom salts

I tested the fire juice in the hydro during the last few weeks of flowering in the last grow. The dude at the shop said I can use it from when I switch to flowering onwards. Can't tell for sure yet the difference between using it and not using it, will take a few rounds to find out

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

These ladies are gonna chow light then 😄 will move them closer 

Schweet, will get myself some epsom salts

I tested the fire juice in the hydro during the last few weeks of flowering in the last grow. The dude at the shop said I can use it from when I switch to flowering onwards. Can't tell for sure yet the difference between using it and not using it, will take a few rounds to find out

That stuff is organic as fuck haha!! I put some in my teas... But way to wary to go straight into the res... Let's see how it goes though!! 

Will you be using any teas this grow? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CreX said:

That stuff is organic as fuck haha!! I put some in my teas... But way to wary to go straight into the res... Let's see how it goes though!! 

Will you be using any teas this grow? 

I can say I did not see any negative to throwing it straight into the res

I have yet to dable in teas, I haven't intended on using this grow as yet but whenever I am suggested something I'll always look it up 😄 

You got any past posts on teas I can lookup or would you do me the kindness of a crash course? 😝

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreX said:

Sure thing man! 

Have you seen the teas teas teas topic I have? 

Just read through it :-stoned

I like the idea of teas, they look like exactly what a cannabis plant would want to drink as a Sunday milkshake 😍

Although how would one apply the tea in a DWC setup? I am hesitant to add any kind of bacteria or microbes to the reservoir in fear of introducing the wrong kind of pathogen that could cause root rot. What are your thoughts? 

23 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Just read through it :-stoned

I like the idea of teas, they look like exactly what a cannabis plant would want to drink as a Sunday milkshake 😍

Although how would one apply the tea in a DWC setup? I am hesitant to add any kind of bacteria or microbes to the reservoir in fear of introducing the wrong kind of pathogen that could cause root rot. What are your thoughts? 

What you put on into your tea is what will come out lol... Just make sure you are adding the good stuff. 

Soil from where plants are growing well. 

Forrest soils

EMProSoil or some kind of multi bacteria product. 

Then you are golden...

I dump the tea in my res at full strength... And it's only been good💪

• Thanks 1

It can be a bit daunting at first. But once you have sickly plants with sad soggy runny snotty roots.. And everything you try backfires or makes it worse.. 

Then when you try some tea... Your life will never be the same again😉😜

Check out "heisenberg tea" I think on rollitup... But a Google search will sort you out. 

When you move from a sterile environment in your res, to a more organic vibe with microbes and fungi. 

You will love how easy hydro becomes. 

• Thanks 1

Howzit,
I can second that mention of the ''heisenberg'' tea. Read up on that thread.
Tea's are very beneficial indoors and outdoors.
It's a bit daunting at first, but the more you learn about tea's, how to brew good ones and what bad/shit ones look and smell like. It happens to all of us.yuckk
But that's how you learn.
Now I brew every week without fail.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks @Bospatrollie2 and @CreX

Going to check out heisenberg tea for sure! 

Agreed on the daunting nature of throwing anything biological directly into the res. I was already super wary of using the Firejuice directly in the res but in doing that I am more confident in testing out teas in the res. 

In fact, I've even replaced the clear tubing for my airstones to a thicker garden tubing used for outdoor sprinkler systems because just after 4 days the clear tubing was getting already a little manky and a little slimy. I'll mention it again in the bigger update I will make later in the week when I also take some pics again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreX said:

Slimy? 

Sounds like a concern. 

What kind of slimy? Brown slime or clear slime or green slime? 

Very clear, only enough to make the tubing feel slippery to the touch but no handle-able amount. I usually experience this only right at the end of my grows after they have sat in the reservoir for several months. The tubing I used in my initial grow was more opaque than clear. Most recently it was very thin clear plastic tubing that I got from a aquatics store. Now currently using a more rigid, thicker and black coated plastic tubing from Builders Warehouse. Makes the setup look a little better in a weird way. 

Not expecting any issues to unfold. Reservoirs are bubbling like Hugh Hefner's Jacuzzi  and there are no fowl odors. Res temp stable at 21C even with 34C weather outside with no active cooling for the water (the cooler box design is an absolute win in this regard). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Very clear, only enough to make the tubing feel slippery to the touch but no handle-able amount. I usually experience this only right at the end of my grows after they have sat in the reservoir for several months. The tubing I used in my initial grow was more opaque than clear. Most recently it was very thin clear plastic tubing that I got from a aquatics store. Now currently using a more rigid, thicker and black coated plastic tubing from Builders Warehouse. Makes the setup look a little better in a weird way. 

Not expecting any issues to unfold. Reservoirs are bubbling like Hugh Hefner's Jacuzzi  and there are no fowl odors. Res temp stable at 21C even with 34C weather outside with no active cooling for the water (the cooler box design is an absolute win in this regard). 

Yea man, that cooler is a great idea!! 

Okay, clear slime is not the worst slime. 

But it's not really a benificial slime either. 

Some tea should fix that in two shakes of a lambs tail😂

• Haha 1

Progress with the cripple seedling. Getting back good colour and new leaf growth is forming. A closer look at the bottom side of the net pot shows there is new root growth at the stem and surprisingly no new growth on what was left of the initial root growth. Started a schedule of foliar spray with very light nute 6.0 PH water with a little bit of Kelpak to help with the root growth. 

20191005_183708.thumb.jpg.61b5478d49e975b61d207a6fd3649e86.jpg 20191006_213934.thumb.jpg.ee9a71848895dd0aba7528cb078012ea.jpg 20191007_183803_HDR.thumb.jpg.1d3d8919d916f46e8648b65c9420c057.jpg 

20191008_182857_HDR.thumb.jpg.998ae299316f802e4d322d458c7787e9.jpg

The healthy lady is ramping up on root production and leaf growth is sparking up. 

20191009_101603.thumb.jpg.d4e05970b0752cf4f7162613d3f445db.jpg 20191009_102232.thumb.jpg.ebbd5ea59f355e5c0180a588d8cc8eef.jpg

Been having some humidity issues. Tried to make a homemade humidifier by wrapping the intake ducting with an old lappie and running it down into a bowl of water. The idea was that the passive air would pull moisture off the towel as it came into the tent but I ended up just blocking the intake and caused an even bigger drop in humidity, as low as 13%. Current solution is to revert back to no towel and just keep a large bowl of water within the tent. I've also opened up one of the tent vents on the right side of the tent. Humidity averaging 25%, not bad not terrible. Should slowly rise as the plants get bigger. 

20191009_101611.thumb.jpg.c64402ba512971fd708a29cf45aed77f.jpg 20191008_182911.thumb.jpg.f4c68c2b7f52b2fa344123af5fe25ef0.jpg 

20191009_101630_HDR.thumb.jpg.26d03c60fdb20cde3c309ae1db15e83a.jpg

Lastly, replaced the clear tubing for the airstones with thicker, black tubing as there were signs of slime forming on the clear tubing. 

Hoping to see the cripple's roots hit the water this time next week 🧙‍♂️

• Like 1

Glad the seedling is forming new roots, similar to a cutting in a way considering the main taproot has died.

It is nice to have a mix of seedlings and larger plants when vegging as the larger plants help keep the RH up.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CreX said:

Yo yo!! Iv had great results using a fishtank heater to heat a bucket of water in my garage. 

Humidity went up past 40 for the whole garage, I'm sure it would work like a charm in a tent. 

You have any fishtank heaters? 

If not, add a gas stove and boil water. 😛  lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Negative on the fishtank heater @CreX 😅 but that and having seedlings in the same tent as bigger plants is a good idea @PsyCLown , although I wonder how to do seedlings in say, a tent that's going through flowering with 12/12

They may turn out a little stretched, although when late in flower you want low RH, around 40% and when vegging RH of around 65% is good.

But 40% is still better than what you've been experiencing.

• Like 1

Thinking of just getting another Humidifier if I can't find my old one.. might've gotten lost in the move

I was using the standard wong kong humidifier you get from Clicks. Rate I just get another or go for something a bit better? Or maybe a DIY solution? Apart from the aquarium heater of course 😄 I think I'd go for that idea if it were still Winter

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

Thinking of just getting another Humidifier if I can't find my old one.. might've gotten lost in the move

I was using the standard wong kong humidifier you get from Clicks. Rate I just get another or go for something a bit better? Or maybe a DIY solution? Apart from the aquarium heater of course 😄 I think I'd go for that idea if it were still Winter

Those humidifiers work like a dream... But then it's best to reduce intake and exhaust to keep the humid air in.

Or else you're just heating water and taking it outside😜

Hope you find the humidifier though!