Danks Giant Cookie Bird

Bos

Sjo @Bospatrollie2 those CookieBirds are keeping you busy, I hope the flowers won't disappoint, they are a unruly lot in the veg mode.
Training is looking good man, she is going to make a lovely bush of buds! :-rolled
Thanks a lot for the effort man.
That training was nerve racking to say the least.....hahaha.
Earlier attempts didn't go well, I'm thinking because they grow so fast, the stems wouldn't bend well without bad damage. So I postponed training.

Also never thought they would stretch that far, but they did - so how to fix it?. Took a chance here, as I don't like to manipulate the plant that much, so late in the game due to stress issues on top of the frikken heat.
Took it slow and she was recovering nicely, branches started turning upwards today. No wind breaks....thank goodness.
They got fed well yesterday and tomorrow their next AACT will be ready. Hoping for best.

One plant in the greenhouse I've left to grow its own way, just out of curiosity.
There are always schoolfees to be paid and learning to be had.
At least this I enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think they will love the training, their ancestors were hacked back about 3 times in a season and still hit 3m, but no sideways training.

When buds get bigger you could add stakes or wire fencing to support the buds.

Super hungry plants, they going to enjoy their treats! All of the best, peace and buds :-rolled

I think they will love the training, their ancestors were hacked back about 3 times in a season and still hit 3m, but no sideways training.
When buds get bigger you could add stakes or wire fencing to support the buds.
Super hungry plants, they going to enjoy their treats! All of the best, peace and buds :-rolled
Awe@Dank
Checked up on her again this afternoon before work (pulling nightshift) and she is progressing well. Branches have turned more and she is going for the sunlight- so positive growth has resumed, she's a very resilient lady.
Must confess I like the look of the ''candalabra'' effect this type of training is producing. Must be my previous bonsai training coming through....hahaha.

I think it helps to keep the bottom of the plant clear from pests and exposes the top of the plant to more light where it's needed. The plant structure looks solid enough to support the colas, but support can be added later if needed. Only time will tell.

Cheers vir eers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All was going awesome untill... 

Frikken balls...and nogal on the big lady, bloody hell was I unhappy. 

Maybe she stressed too much with the lst and the heat. Unfortunately it didn't end there, as another Big Cookie lady without any lst molestation also decided to grow a pair, multiple pairs actually.

Dont know if this then indicates that there might be a possible herm gene in there somewhere. Will just keep a close eye on the remaining girls.

Needless to say they got assimilated into the compost pile.

The remaining 2 ladies are doing grand and getting quite tall but no preflowers yet. The clones I took during cleanup have gone into preflower.

Feeding has remained the same and their thirst and appetite has not wavered. Pardon the wilt, they were watered after the photos this morning. 

20200214_065844.jpg

20200214_070351.jpg

20200211_173736.jpg

Edited by Bospatrollie2
Forgot photo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi @Bospatrollie2 , flip sorry about the lady, does look like heatstress, perhaps the roots got a bit dry with the heat, she needs those tropical vibes.

There is a herm trait with my Cookies, not so much with the GiantCookieBirds (havent grown out that many tho), the original Cookies mom I received hermed pretty easily from stress, this was back in 2015, Cookies was not really around, so I worked with that mother plant to create 2 hybrids with my Stable Kush genes.

The GiantCookieBird's were pollinated by a very nice KushCookies male.

I must add it is usually some stress that brings on the herms, space for the other girls in the greenhouse, sorry bout that downer. 

Edited by Dank
so many edits spelling grammar etc etc
  • Agree 1

I think I saw fabric pots.. I agree 100% with Dank.. looks very much like dry root. Fabric pots have the stupid habit, that they run the water off over the sides and leave the root dry. Make a hole at the center and fill her slowly with water in several steps, that you are very sure the whole pot is wet. Should recover fast.. check if she goes herm just on one branch.. sometimes you are lucky and is just one branch going haywire. So one cut might save most.. if it is spread.. shredder the plant and compost it. 😭 such a nice plant

Edited by Prom
typo
  • Like 2

Hi @Bospatrollie2 , flip sorry about the lady, does look like heatstress, perhaps the roots got a bit dry with the heat, she needs those tropical vibes.
There is a herm trait with my Cookies, not so much with the GiantCookieBirds (havent grown out that many tho), the original Cookies mom I received hermed pretty easily from stress, this was back in 2015, Cookies was not really around, so I worked with that mother plant to create 2 hybrids with my Stable Kush genes.
The GiantCookieBird's were pollinated by a very nice KushCookies male.
I must add it is usually some stress that brings on the herms, space for the other girls in the greenhouse, sorry bout that downer. 
Howdy@Dank
I was super bummed after all the time and effort that went into that lady. Really started getting excited to see her flower.
Aware that certain stresses can and will cause a plant to herm, just depends how susceptible the plant is.
Knew it was a risk to train her like that, so can only blame myself, but now we know better.
I took some clones of all the confirmed females, so all is not lost.
@Prom, not much I can do about the heat but, can make a plan regarding fabric pots. They do dry out faster especially with the voracious Big Cookies and our hotashell summers.
We gradually reaching a conclusion that our summer climate is more suitable to growing photoperiod plants in large pots (countersunk into the earth) during this season as opposed to multiple smaller plants in fabric bags.
Yield vs variety vs managebility vs stress.

• Like 2

@Bospatrollie2 , in retrospect I should have mentioned the herm trait in the original Cookies mom i used, but I thought the GCBirds haven't hermed on us yet, why I decided to send some out as testers.

I think @Smelly Joe had to cull some runts and also a hermi if i recall from the Kush Cookies f2's, or it was just a male.

The reason I didnt drop my Cookies line is because of the stellar plants that do not go hermi.

Hope the flavours and high of your remaining girls make it worth it.

Stil planning to get you guys some sealed breeder packs as a thank you for being my first testers.

Will post about it in the SpringDrop thread, time just not my friend right now.

Happy growing man, peace and buds!

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

@Bospatrollie2 , in retrospect I should have mentioned the herm trait in the original Cookies mom i used, but I thought the GCBirds haven't hermed on us yet, why I decided to send some out as testers.

I think @Smelly Joe had to cull some runts and also a hermi if i recall from the Kush Cookies f2's, or it was just a male.

The reason I didnt drop my Cookies line is because of the stellar plants that do not go hermi.

Hope the flavours and high of your remaining girls make it worth it.

Stil planning to get you guys some sealed breeder packs as a thank you for being my first testers.

Will post about it in the SpringDrop thread, time just not my friend right now.

Happy growing man, peace and buds!

All is well@Dank

I usually take a few cuttings during routine cleanups as backups.

Got 2 distinct pheno's in the Cookie Birds and preflowering has started. Exciting times ahead, can't wait for the tricomes and terpines. Always amazes me how different these plants are from each other, all the different flavours and scents.

Thanks for the opportunity to grow your beans. A lot of time and effort goes into breeding projects(also working on some stuff. ), just want to do them justice.

Let's know about the spring drop when the time comes.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening fellow horticulturists,

Our Giant Cookie Birds are doing well and are finally starting their flowering.

These tall voracious ladies can be a handfull, they just never seem to get enough. One of the girls in the greenhouse exceeded the 2.4m limit and had to be relocated to mother earth to finish up. Since flowering started, been feeding them apple/banana and molasses smoothies with ecobuz and epsom.

They're an easy strain to grow if you can keep up with their appetites and space requirements. Had no serious pests and so far zero pm issues- typical sativa....

They are the some of the last plants to start flowering in our forest. Hoping their flowering(bud) vigour equals their vigour in growth. Good times ahead.

Puff puff pass.

Cheers.

20200229_182552.jpg

20200229_182607.jpg

20200229_182615.jpg

20200229_182106.jpg

20200229_182035.jpg

• Like 2

Looking awesome @Bospatrollie2 , they will be vigorous in the budding, just care not to stop the N to fast, also make sure she has enough Ca.

I usually increase Mg during early flower (most strains), she will most likely flower well into Autumn if there are no complications.

Happy growing brother, thanks for all the effort, enjoy the forest! 🙏

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still early days@zairek
Maybe 2 weeks, but she will tell me when she's ready.

That specific lady still needs to bulk up a bit. Checking trichs every few days, got a number of ladies are in various stages of flower so have to keep a good eye on them all.

• Like 1

Ahoy, 

The outdoor Cookie bird lady is doing lekker, despite the wind and rain. We getting hammered with 80-90km/h gusts again today and the predictions for the coming days don't bode well.

Her buds have bulked up nicely and the tricomes are starting to go milky. Hoping she'll be ready soon, as I am concerned about budrot with all the rain we've been getting.

Sprayed all the girls with Ecobuz pestpro to manage the recurring spidermite issue, follow up with Margaret Roberts for worms a few days later.

Can't look at butterflies the same way anymore.

Cheers.

20200401_081555.jpg

20200401_081605.jpg

20200401_081620.jpg

• Like 2

Had to add the greenhouse girl as well. 

Unfortunately them bloody mites have gotten to her as you can see from the leaves. If you ever doubted the red spidermite and their damage-those leaves show 7days damage- previous update there was almost nothing.

But she has been dosed twice, hopefully those buggers die. 

20200401_100829.jpg

20200401_100848.jpg

20200401_100857.jpg

Edited by Bospatrollie2
Change
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sjo looking good @Bospatrollie2 this outdoor season was really challenging, but you took em birds far bro!

Sounds like some serious weather coming your ways, is there already some budrot on these birds?

I hear you about the butterflies man! 

Edited by Dank

Sjo looking good @Bospatrollie2 this outdoor season was really challenging, but you took em birds far bro!
Sounds like some serious weather coming your ways, is there already some budrot on these birds?
I hear you about the butterflies man! 
Trying the best I can, thanks@Dank

There will always be challenges, but we learn and handle them better.

Yeah these ladies of yours are going to deliver.
Luckily no budrot yet, but enough spidermites and worms and caterpillars. Caterpillar/worm poop is budrot breeding ground with our humidity.

Butterflies might be pretty, but I can't like them anymore....hahaha.

• Like 1

Nice to hear that they are not suffering from the budrot, yeh this years outdoor season was pretty rof en ombeskof, any buds harvested is good enough result this year!

Thinking about the insect netting, could help a lot against these worms, cause like you say its them damn pretty butterflies!

• Like 1

Nice to hear that they are not suffering from the budrot, yeh this years outdoor season was pretty rof en ombeskof, any buds harvested is good enough result this year!
Thinking about the insect netting, could help a lot against these worms, cause like you say its them damn pretty butterflies!
Been pondering.....thinking of cutting and sewing a 20-40% shade net cover to fit our tunnel frame. Improved airflow and ventilation is what we're after, would be a good option for summer, we running as is for winter for the experience, just to see.
Ĺots of possible modifications in the future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our Giant Cookie Bird lady started showing cloudy colours. Luckily not the whole plant, so she'll be harvested in stages depending on her trichs. 

The seasonal rainy weather and hot windless days in between does not bode well wrt budrot. Inspecting them every day now and cutting the bad pieces out before it spreads.

Luckily its keeping to the smaller buds below the main colas. In two minds here, would prefer to push her for another week or two. But that idea is not without risk. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the beans @Dank 

Cheers

20200412_100314.jpg

20200412_100306.jpg

20200412_100249.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howzit

We are still harvesting on the big outdoor lady, cut stage 3 today. Stage 1 and 2 are drying nicely. Unfortunately had to pay a bit of tax in the form of budrot due to seasonal changes ect.

The greenhouse lady spent 6 days drying and weighed in this morning at 223gr before being jarred. She had a bit of a sneaky advantage I discovered, her roots went straight through the bottom of the fabric bag into mother earth hahaha. . Had a nice spicy type citrus vibe on the nose, we'll see how she developes during curing.

Lekker@Dank

Cheers.

• Like 2