Growing for Seeds (With STS)

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So when I first purchased seeds it sounded like a good idea to purchase some autoflowers - after learning a bit more, it wasn't the smartest idea but the autoflower seeds had been purchased. Since autoflowers are pointless to clone, I figured let me grow some out to get seeds from and perhaps use the autoflowers as fillers for my photoperiod grows.

This journey started on the 29th June if I recall properly. I decided to start with the Dutch Passion CBD Auto Charlottes Angel , this strain has less than 1% THC and upto 15% CBD.

Probably going to be the perfect strain for those who want the CBD without the high of the THC.

I then decided to pop some Dutch Passion Auto Daquari Lime seeds as well, I think this was a day or two later.

The pictures are of the Charlottes Angel seeds

seeds.jpg

planted.jpg

Seedlings.jpg

On the 2nd of June this is what I got!

I had an issue with the 1 Daquari Lime seed, it just did not want to germinate. So I quickly reached for the last seed from the seedpack, soaked it and waited for it to germinate. I had the soil prepped for Daquari Lime #2, but there was no seed nor seedling inside the pot at this point in time. Fortunately the 3rd and final seed germinated and did so quickly. I recall having an issue when I planted it after it sprouted, two days went by and it did not surface yet, so I went digging for it and it was trying to grow sideways. I suspect I had planted it too deep.

I also snapped a pic of the Charlottes Angel plants a bit later, on the 13th. I did not take any pics of the Daquari Lime's unfortunately.

IMG_20190702_073028.jpg

IMG_20190702_073036.jpg

IMG_20190713_115052.jpg

I then decided I should probably move them to larger pots, now that I have a bit of extra space in my veg tent.

So on the 21st I decided to repot them into their final fabric pots of 20L - as I started doing so I realized I had fucked up as the root ball had not developed properly to removing them from the pots was extremely difficult. I also neglected them a bit before re-potting as I just did not have time, so and they were very dry and unhappy.

Next time I will rather put the auto's straight into their final fabric pots. I could not do this from the start due to a lack of space.

IMG_20190721_165220.jpg

IMG_20190721_170710_1.jpg

IMG_20190721_174737.jpg

IMG_20190721_174740.jpg

IMG_20190721_174742_1.jpg

IMG_20190721_174744_1.jpg

They started to look happier after their transplant and watering.

Yesterday I noticed one of the Charlottes Angel plants (I think) had some pistils already - they were feminized seeds so it was expected but did not expect to see that on such a small plant. I then decided it may be a good idea to start training the plants so I bent them over and used some metal hooks to keep them down.

Today I noticed that two of the 4 plants responded very well, the 3rd was making do and the 4th did not look good or happy... I hope it does not die. It's one of my Charlottes Angel plants and those seeds were not cheap.

I proceeded to mix the STS solution and then picked two plants to spray, I decided to go with both of the #2 plants. This included the sad looking Charlottes Angel, I figured I just need to keep it alive long enough to give me pollen and that I'd rather use the stronger plant to take the pollen and make me some seeds!!

I took the picture after spraying them with some STS, so now we wait to see what happens. I will continue to spray the plants with the STS solution every 5 days until there are some big balls. These are also my first autoflowers I am attempting to grow, so hopefully I get the timing right.

The next STS spray will be on Monday evening, I will time it better on Monday - do it around 30 minutes before the lights go off in the grow area.

STS Spray.jpg

• Like 3

So a quick update, the plants are looking much better now!

Charlottes Angel #2 has recovered nicely.

I have deiced to continue with the LST on the Daquari Lime #1 and it's responding very well and I like the growth it's showing. The Daquari Lime is growing very differently compared to the Charlottes Angel which appears to be bushier and not wanting to grow as tall. Both strains are meant to be Sativa dominant.

The next spray will happen on Monday evening if all goes to plan.

IMG_20190727_165819_1.thumb.jpg.37904df8a8eb83344cec838d270fe041.jpg

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 4

So they seem to have grown quite a bit, especially the Daiquari Lime.

Worried I'm not gonna get pollen in time for that one, may consider spraying it for pollen and then try pollinate the other - not sure.
Might just leave it and hope for the best. 03bbcd23aa20eec59fb396b0c425a310.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 3

So this is my first auto flower grow and I am starting to get a bit of a feel for the autoflowers and how they differ.

I did a bit of LST to the one Daquari Lime and removed a few leaves and then tucked some, I much prefer working with it over the Charlottes Angel which is an Indica.I feel it's easier to manage and train as it's not as busy - which makes me want to defoliate it heavily and tie down all branches after topping it... Don't want to stunt it though.

Still no signs of balls, next spray should be on Wednesday. Hoping I do not have issues with the Daquari Lime considering the one started showing pistils a few weeks ago already and the others are only showing now. I'd rather lose the bud and get seeds with this grow.

IMG_20190804_182238.jpg

IMG_20190804_182245.jpg

IMG_20190804_182655.jpg

• Like 4

I did not have a chance to spray the STS last night, so will try do it tonight.

Having to do it before lights out makes it a bit tricky at the moment as I am rather busy and not always home.

The auto's are growing really well though!  So will try spray and take pics tonight for you guys, I am getting a bit worried as I have not yet seen any balls and am not sure how long it takes for the balls to ripen and drop pollen either - a bit concerned there will not be enough time for the seeds to filly mature.

9 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I did not have a chance to spray the STS last night, so will try do it tonight.

Having to do it before lights out makes it a bit tricky at the moment as I am rather busy and not always home.

The auto's are growing really well though!  So will try spray and take pics tonight for you guys, I am getting a bit worried as I have not yet seen any balls and am not sure how long it takes for the balls to ripen and drop pollen either - a bit concerned there will not be enough time for the seeds to filly mature.

There should be time... If you aren't growing the plant for smoke, then you can leave the plant to go as long as it needs to make the nice seeds.. Even if it eventually completely dies... But you should be fine, seeds don't take thaaaat long to mature... 4 to 6 weeks if I'm not mkstaken

17 minutes ago, CreX said:

There should be time... If you aren't growing the plant for smoke, then you can leave the plant to go as long as it needs to make the nice seeds.. Even if it eventually completely dies... But you should be fine, seeds don't take thaaaat long to mature... 4 to 6 weeks if I'm not mkstaken

These auto's area already around 5 / 6 weeks old, I am hoping the seeds mature before the plants die. Will try keep them alive for as long as possible, just the one Daquari Lime which is very eager to star flowering and has lots of pistils already.

My goal isn't to get bud from these plants, it's to get viable seeds. Although some bud would be nice.

11 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

These auto's area already around 5 / 6 weeks old, I am hoping the seeds mature before the plants die. Will try keep them alive for as long as possible, just the one Daquari Lime which is very eager to star flowering and has lots of pistils already.

My goal isn't to get bud from these plants, it's to get viable seeds. Although some bud would be nice.

Thrn you will be fine... Might look like a dead piece of shit at the end of it... But you will have viable seeds in bulk😜

• Like 1

So I finally did the STS spray tonight. The autos are growing nicely.

I will do some trimming tomorrow and neaten them up, expose bud sites to more light.

Hopefully I get balls soon... I'm getting impatient and wondering whether I somehow messed up the solution... d723298b7dd81cce753aa9feaa9c5225.jpg

• Like 2

I dunno, it's my first time growing autos.

These are Dutch Passion, all 4 of them. The Daiquari Lime don't feel like the most stable considering the one had pistils 3 weeks in already (or around there) and the others not... Not even the other Daiquari Lime and only recently did it start showing pistils.

So far it's been fun and I'm still learning, although currently I'd certainly grow autos again... Maybe try a few other breeders.

I did a bit of a clean up on them tonight and even did a little bit of LST on the one as I felt it needed it. I'm pushing a bit now to see whether the trimming is going to negatively affect the plant.

Still no sign of balls unfortunately.

Tonight was the 4th STS spray. Still no signs of balls from what I can see.

I should have marked a few branches and just sprayed / focused on those from the beginning. I have since marked 3 branches and will be spraying the main stem too.

I'll continue to spray until I see balls or until I feel its really too late and nothing is happening.
I need to mix another batch of Sts from my part a and part b solutions.

Next spray will be Sunday. I'll probably mix the next batch then too. I may try add more soap as the solution does seem to roll off the plants quite easily.

• Like 1

I did another spray tonight, although I mixed up a fresh batch from my Part A & Part B mixtures and I also added a wetting agent to help the solution stick to the plant. Still no sign of balls.

I did a bit of a defoliation, mostly on the Indica's (Charlotte's Angel). Still no signs of flowering on the Charlottes Angel, only the Daiquari Lime.

I'm hoping I didn't mess up the initial Part A & Part B solutions as I'd expect to have seen something on the Daiquari Lime as its showing pistils and etill likely start flowering soon too...

Id love to get some pollen from both so I can cull the pollen donors as my veg room is getting very cramped.

I have some LED light strips which I want to add to the veg room as currently light distribution isn't ideal due to the size and a
Number of plants in the area... Not to mention height differences.

• Like 3

I tried this a few years back and it never worked out. I only did 2 branches cause I wasn't sure. Guys back then told me my ppm is wrong. Probably because I made my own Coloidal Silver.

But my main concern was that I was not able to puff the parts that were sprayed with with it. What will happen if nothing happens.... Could you spray the plant with clean water and flush out the STS residue/presence on the plant or does the STS go deep and stay there???

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I initially did the same thing, seperate the plant in two parts... Then something came to mind, the point of the foliar spray, is for the plant to absorb it, thus, regardless of how many branches you spray, the entire plant will absorb the silver. It then goes without saying, the more of the plant you spray, the higher the chance of success.

Once you start spraying, the whole plant will not be smokable. That said, using colloidal silver, you should still be able to make extracts (I haven't researched this, just makes sense) for edibles. I'm not sure if the same would apply to STS.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Quite frankly, I cant see it being an issue if I look through chemistry goggles. 

We can consume colloidal silver for health benefits in much higher concentrations than what would remain on the plant matter.

Further, exposure to air will oxidize the silver to silver oxide. Now the oxide is mildly toxic, but its mainly an abrasive and a concern with eye contact, but in the microscopic quantities its present does not warrant concern. 

Silver is one of the few non toxic metals we have, but STS is not colloidal silver.

I initially did the same thing, seperate the plant in two parts... Then something came to mind, the point of the foliar spray, is for the plant to absorb it, thus, regardless of how many branches you spray, the entire plant will absorb the silver. It then goes without saying, the more of the plant you spray, the higher the chance of success.

Once you start spraying, the whole plant will not be smokable. That said, using colloidal silver, you should still be able to make extracts (I haven't researched this, just makes sense) for edibles. I'm not sure if the same would apply to STS.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

So you spray the entire plant, leaves and nodes?

Do you focus on the nodes or not even? Perhaps you focus on just the canopy?