Best heater for winter

PsyCLown

Hey all,

So with winter coming, I am concerned that my grow area might be too cold as I am going to be using Quantum Board LED's.

What type of heater may be the best, one of those wall panels heaters? The ones with a fan perhaps? Or the bar type heaters?

I think I will probably automate the heat with an Arduino and a relay for the heater to have it turn on / off according to the room temperature.

I assume the heater will dry out the air as well, so will probably need to stick my humidifier in there too and once again link it up to an arduino with a RH sensor.

So which type of heater have you found the best for indoor grows?

Run your lights at night, off during the day. That is how I combat the temps, I also only grow with LED. I just increase the intensity for heat. 

Same here. 400W cob in 1.5x1.5 gives me a 22deg 'daytime' temp at night, which is a little cooler than I'd like, but will heat up once I fire up the second 400w. Daytime is warm enough for their dark cycle. Temps in 700x1.2 veg tent runs at 27 deg with the same light configuration, but no active extraction on the smaller tent to keep my humidity higher.

Outside night temp dropping to 6 deg at the moment

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Hmm, I'll see if my LED's produce enough heat for my grow area.

I guess a fan heater would warm a small area pretty quickly, probably quicker than those wall units and might be safer than one of those bar heaters?
Get one with the safety for if it falls over somehow, just incase I guess.

Noted on the red light, didn't even think of that.
Probably best to have the fan heater pointed away from the plants too.

Do you guys leave your fans on inside your tent for air movement and circulation still?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Dr. Green said:

I agree lights on at night then no worry about it being too cold during the day. I'm in cpt 

I'm In CPT too, my day time temps are dropping gradually. I've now hit 18 at lights off (12:00-18H00)... The colder it gets, the slower they grow. My last grow proved that with the tiny buds.

Optimal temp is around 20 - 26?

Cooler when they're sleeping, aka lights are off?

Not too difficult to try and keep the temps up and if it increases the speed of growing its then we'll worth it, not so?

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

Optimal temp is around 20 - 26?

Cooler when they're sleeping, aka lights are off?

Correct Sir. My current temps are 23-18 range. My current run is a week or two out. But i can see the lower temps later on will be an issue.

I have an old heating pad at home that i wanna roll and put into my air inlet hole (side of the tent). I wonder if that will help raise the temp somewhat. Worth the time experimenting in think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Get one of those wall panel heaters for when temps are low at lights off. It's cost effective and quite safe for when your not at home.

Other than that I got one if these.....

b1a36ff4f5aa390802de83a108e91412.jpg

My cuttings and young seedlings rather like it. I got that from Petworld opposite cape gate for R145. Temps reaches 22 without thermostat and can reach 40 with a thermostat.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Smelly Joe said:

Get one of those wall panel heaters for when temps are low at lights off. It's cost effective and quite safe for when your not at home.

Other than that I got one if these.....

b1a36ff4f5aa390802de83a108e91412.jpg

My cuttings and young seedlings rather like it. I got that from Petworld opposite cape gate for R145. Temps reaches 22 without thermostat and can reach 40 with a thermostat.

How do you easily control the temps with the panel heaters though?

15 minutes ago, Smelly Joe said:

Its got build in thermostats and connected to a timer your set 

Ahh ok, never used a panel heater before.

I am using one of those fan heaters with an element, working very well! It has a built in thermostat too, comes on occasionally for a few seconds and reaches the temp very quickly due to the small grow area. Just make sure that if your unit has a light, you kill the light on it (cut the cables to the LED).

• 4 weeks later...
I found those fan heaters you talked about. Nifty little fuckers. When you use them, do they dry out your air in the grow area??? Turned one on and the heat felt very Karoo Dry Summer.

My humidity isn't a problem, especially around watering time.

If anything it's going to be higher than it should be during flowering. Gonna try increase the extraction fan speed.

• Like 1