URGENT GROW HELP

afternoon blazer

I have a dual bulb 1.2m led grow light.

I have my plants in 0.5 liter pots.

I have been using potting soil mix only.

I have a growbox with the inside wrapped in foil.

I have air intakes and exhaust

I have the pots at a distance of 800mm from the grow light.

I germinate and put the seeds without problem.

I get a sprout no problem.

My sprouts grow to about 80mm and then halt growth completely.

Normally 2 sets of leaves sprout and stop there after.

I cannot seem to get past this stage and cannot get thick growth and more leaves to sprout before I transplant.

I have not done 1 transplant yet.
But have grown about 30 seeds to the above mentioned stage and it dries out and dies out.

I have been watering 2 -3 days at a time.

Can someone please assist with me getting to the next stage of growth and transplant phase.

I basically have everything up to the sprout stage covered. It is getting beyond this stage that I am struggling a lot with.

I have pictures for reference

Please share pictures, especially of the soil being used...  I've never really heard of the plant stopping growth altogether. You usually see deficiencies first before you see a lack of growth completely. 

With that said, a lot of the potting mixes being sold through garden stores just don't work for cannabis and the heavy organic matter can cause both issues in root development and in nutrient uptake. Pictures will definitely help though.

8 minutes ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Sounds like they damping off due to your medium being poor and over watering . 

Just to add to this, if they are indeed damping off, you should that the stem narrows at the base and the plant will tend to fall over.  The base of the stem should immediately tell you whether or not it is a case of damping off. If unsure, the pictures should be able to give a pretty good chance of diagnoses.

3 minutes ago, DC888 said:

Hey there

Im no expert, but 800mm away from the light seems a bit far? have you tried lowering them? when they germinating i think its best to keep the light close. 

also do not over water, keep the soil damp and use a squirt gun. 

Unfortunately, this user posted this thread in various sub-forums so it's hard to keep up with the discussion properly. But 80cm is not a terrible placement of the light depending on strength, but the symptoms of light being too far away would likely be the opposite of what the OP is experiencing, cause they would try reach and then stretch more, as opposed to being stunted in size.

From those pictures it looks almost certainly to be the soil. These garden shop potting soils do not work well for cannabis, all that organic matter is just not good for root development or for nutrient levels. Avoid 'barky' soil and you're going to see big differences. Pick up some Freedom Farms soil and you'll have a very different experience. Even soil from your garden will likely perform better than these excessively wood based soils that stunt root development and cause issues with nutrient burn.

PS: It looks like you're also over-watering it, and that kind of soil holds way too much moisture. Water only when you feel the pot become light. Your plants are better off having a few hours of thirst than they are drowning.

Edited by trichomechaser

Unfortunately, this user posted this thread in various sub-forums so it's hard to keep up with the discussion properly. But 80cm is not a terrible placement of the light depending on strength, but the symptoms of light being too far away would likely be the opposite of what the OP is experiencing, cause they would try reach and then stretch more, as opposed to being stunted in size.
Unfortunately unable to moderate right now thanks to eskom. Will clean up once the power comes on

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, afternoon blazer said:

Can i get better soil and transplant all the sprouts with the new soil?

You could try, but you may lose some in transplant, over watering will lead to dampening off in such an early stage.

But as everyone has said, that soil, if you can even call it that is garbage. 

How dry is the medium when you water? Which potting mix?

Are you feeding any nutrients?

A pic would help.

I've seen grows in perlite only, so I'd guess one of those questions above is where the problem is.

Edit: Some potting mixes contain added fertilizers, stay far away from them, they're likely to burn the crap out of your plants.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk