Drying and Curing in CPT Humidity

YourStonedBuddy

Whats up everyone!

Im sure some of ya'll have some good experience drying/curing in the CPT humidity. Im approaching my very first cupboard harvest and genuinely worried about RH causing mold. During lights off i have a fan-heater that comes on for 10mins every 1h30. this keep the RH down to 45-60% during lights off. Im scared using this method to control RH while im drying will cause the buds to dry too fast

Any tips on how i should harvest, trim, dry would be greatly appreciated !!

Okay, so I'm a total noob and can't give any real advice, but my biltong box consists of said box, light and computer fan, except for the light, don't you really just need a light fan like that? Only makes sense to not use a heater if you're worried about humidity and drying too quickly.

You know, a freezer also actually dries the shit out of stuff, so that can also possibly be a way to dry the herb after being hung out a bit.... just some stuff I was thinking, but as I said, I'm a noob, so really this is more of a question than a suggestion

Get yourself a cardboard box and place a a PC fan either end, one for in and the other out. Shut the box and off you go. You could put the fans off towards the backend of drying if you'd like. I've just spent over 2 weeks trying to dry my bud out in this weather too. Ended up cutting up the colas into nice bud sizes and placed them on a netted drying tray, this worked best for me because the hanging colas was going nowhere

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

I remember this issue when I was still in the cape all too well. Having a box with a ventilation fan wont do the job if the fan is pulling in air with a high humidity anyway, the box may decrease the RH a few % if at all.

Unfortunately the next step is an expensive one... you'll most likely need a dehumidifier. I had to use my portable AC's dehumidifier function

I remember this issue when I was still in the cape all too well. Having a box with a ventilation fans wont do the job if the fan is pulling in air with a high humidity anyway, the box may decrease the RH a few % if at all.

Unfortunately the next step is an expensive one... you'll most likely need a dehumidifier. I had to use my portable AC's dehumidifier function

Ive been trying to find a decently priced dehumidifier for a while! i cannot afford to shell out 3-4k on one :(

A fan heater will lower the humidity in a room , you can pick one up for R120 at clicks . By raising the temps in the room you will also allow the air to hold more water which will lower the humidity as well

Ive been doing exactly this during lights off, but afraid of using this technique when hanging the buds to dry. Im worried it will dry everything out too fast

I've always just hanged my buds with only the big fan leaves removed on hangers in a dark cool place like the garage roof for about 7-10 days and never had any mold.

This was always after the outdoor season tho.

I guess I'd have to be careful about drying this time of year as I'm on my first indoor grow

I've always just hanged my buds with only the big fan leaves removed on hangers in a dark cool place like the garage roof for about 7-10 days and never had any mold.

This was always after the outdoor season tho.

I guess I'd have to be careful about drying this time of year as I'm on my first indoor grow

Im holding fingers for no mould. id like to enjoy the fruits of labor

As GLO said you could use the heat fan and perhaps put it on a timer so it doesn't run continuously but just enough to maintain a low humidity. My take on the box is more in line of having a slight airflow over the buds by having 2 fans thus not allowing any bud rot to take affect.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

It started curing from the day it was cut , what you are trying to do is keep it I  the sweet zone where no mould will form . Personally I now just cut the plant and hang it at 11 degrees and 57% humidity for 14 days in the dark then they go I to buckets for 7 days same temps and humidity then I trim . You want to get that drying process actually as slow as possible without mould forming.  The leaves around the bud protect it from the lower humidity and lets them dry nice and slow 

t

I hang them in my climate and temperature controlled flower room :-puffin makes things a little easier . As for the buckets they do the job if you got a bit to do but for the initial 7 days after hanging I leave the lids off in the same room . I only seal the buds for curing 21 days after cutting . The slower u can dry the better

• 4 weeks later...

@Chrislovesdagga  here is a link to very effective and affordable option - https://www.futurama.co.za/catalog/product/view/id/24167/s/solenco-rechargeable-mini-cupboard-dehumidifier/

Another option is to use the Box with PC fans and buy silica dehumidifier thingy mabobs, I found some at Builders warehouse. It is a tub with some silica pebbles inside that cost R38 and you can get refills for about R18. This works with small amounts to be dried. 

44 minutes ago, Richard said:

@Chrislovesdagga  here is a link to very effective and affordable option - https://www.futurama.co.za/catalog/product/view/id/24167/s/solenco-rechargeable-mini-cupboard-dehumidifier/

Another option is to use the Box with PC fans and buy silica dehumidifier thingy mabobs, I found some at Builders warehouse. It is a tub with some silica pebbles inside that cost R38 and you can get refills for about R18. This works with small amounts to be dried. 

I have one of these. Pretty nifty for the initial day or 2 of drying. But like Reaf says, slow is best.

• Like 1