led light grows

transkei bones

• 3 weeks later...

Whatsup Guys! :)

Does anyone by any chance have the kill-a-watt meter readings for the LED grow lights the sell at hydroherb? Looking to get LED’s, i have a friend coming over from the uk in a few months and he said he’d be able to bring me back a mars hydro light, looking at getting either the 900 or 1200w panel, can’t decide though, will be growing in a 1mx1m tent and really don’t want heat to be an issue, i have got a 6inch duct fan exhaust though and dumping the air outside! Iv also got a 120x70 grow tent that i’d be looking to put LED’s in and was thinking maybe 2/3 of those 100x3w panels they sell at hydroherb might be quiet effective, what do you guys think? :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first grow with led. Actually it's my first indoor grow. Only experience I have is with planted aquariums and led has great penetration through water. I'm currently on the third week of growing under 2x300w pannels. I considered one 600w but I get a better foot print with 2x300w. My tent is 1.2x0.75x2.0h I think I have monsters in the making but again it's my first indoor babies. Amnesia haze three weeks from sprout and one with the lights off for better colour. Hope this helps a bit. I'll be starting a grow log soon if you want to see the results and as soon as my led grow strips arrive I plan to put them below my scrog net facing up into the canopy....They may still take another month thanks to SA post

Any tips would be great. Don't know what a good distance under the net to place the strips would be. Maybe someone here knows? I already made the mistake of putting my lights to close. 

cbb43468d3ed97d99041f6a4653dd376.jpg10c1f1003e9710399c950a135ed6bf1b.jpg

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Yip I find a lot beginners start off researching LED first these days. With all the great things being said about LED I don't blame them but you can't spend 10 grand on a LED panel and if one small LED goes you're facked. Right now you can get a 400w digi HID setup for about 3 grand or a 600w for 4 grand. If you have a reflector already that will be even cheaper. That leaves you with at least an extra 6 grand for electricity!!!  Which I can assure you will power at least 4 or 5 grows...not to mention the money you'll be saving on not buying bud

Yeah I can echo 420sa's comments. I also started researching my ass off on various lighting solutions. Given the promise of LED and associated marketing + numerous players providing poor quality products. I fell into the trap bought a Chinese brand multi band led grow light (81X3w). Been using it a year now, good for veg and flower and no issues. R2000 incl shipping and customs at the time which i thought was a reasonable price for what I got. I am currently using HID and led together in flowering and they doing the job fine, IMO

Should I experience issues with my LED then Im fooked, so at the stage in the life if LEDs in SA i would say go with HID purely based on availability and less downtime should a problem occur.

:-2cents

Yeah I can echo 420sa's comments. I also started researching my ass off on various lighting solutions. Given the promise of LED and associated marketing + numerous players providing poor quality products. I fell into the trap bought a Chinese brand multi band led grow light (81X3w). Been using it a year now, good for veg and flower and no issues. R2000 incl shipping and customs at the time which i thought was a reasonable price for what I got. I am currently using HID and led together in flowering and they doing the job fine, IMO

Should I experience issues with my LED then Im fooked, so at the stage in the life if LEDs in SA i would say go with HID purely based on availability and less downtime should a problem occur.

:-2cents

LED panels, if chosen correctly, are the most user friendly pieces of equipment, look to getting modular units or units that are easy to change a faulty bulb(ask your supplier). You should never experience any down time on lights that are just above entry level as it is only the really cheap crap units that do not work after one led fails. Yes I am aware that some units need to go back to the supplier in order to change the led but don't buy that junk. LED panels with a modular light will be easy to change out in a matter of minutes and I know my supplier keeps spare lights for all the units they import. If chosen correctly you should have NO downtime on your panels ever unless there is a serious system failure....

Peace..

Sent from my D5803

Felix, you sound like someone I can trust with LED light questions. I too have been researching my ass off. I have this R900 Video LED light that is battery powered and so insanely bright. I've had LED Modules made for fish tanks that outperformed fluorescent T5 tubes, I really think people have not giving LED a good chance, and most probably the ones who bought cheap Chinese versions.

The other problem I keep seeing is that LEDS are being compared to HIDS in wattage. Aren't LEDS capable of producing the same brightness at a more energy efficient rate? That's thats what I thought atleast. I've been watching Youtuber "Cali Green" grow two indicas under a 300w LED. That definitely means LEDs are capable. I mean, HID has such a wide spectrum of light that the plant is not using. If reliable leds are a problem, it should be as simple as us investing in one grower who knows his electronics and have him build day Led lights with modules and drivers soldered together.

Having said that, has anyone here done a grow from start to finish with ONLY led?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Felix, you sound like someone I can trust with LED light questions. I too have been researching my ass off. I have this R900 Video LED light that is battery powered and so insanely bright. I've had LED Modules made for fish tanks that outperformed fluorescent T5 tubes, I really think people have not giving LED a good chance, and most probably the ones who bought cheap Chinese versions.

The other problem I keep seeing is that LEDS are being compared to HIDS in wattage. Aren't LEDS capable of producing the same brightness at a more energy efficient rate? That's thats what I thought atleast. I've been watching Youtuber "Cali Green" grow two indicas under a 300w LED. That definitely means LEDs are capable. I mean, HID has such a wide spectrum of light that the plant is not using. If reliable leds are a problem, it should be as simple as us investing in one grower who knows his electronics and have him build day Led lights with modules and drivers soldered together.

Having said that, has anyone here done a grow from start to finish with ONLY led?

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hey man

Been a busy day, I agree with you there are great things we can do with LED. I also started my LED journey with planted aquariums, same story that side as the MM world. There have been c&*ts in the market who have sold cheap junk(nosocheapprice) and tried to pas it off as grow lights. When I first started looking at an indoor grow I found the same resistance to LEDs that permeates the aquarium world, I learned there how well LEDs can work and live aquariums are far more complicated than weed, aquariums don't just need day light but moonlight to and the transition period of dusk and dawn for some. So when I was hearing all about how you can only grow under LED if you got 10k to spend on a tent my size I knew it was crap. Looking at an aquarium I had to use 5 & 10W led to get the penetration through the water that I needed. Light is bitch to get working in a deep living aquarium, some wavelengths penetrate water better than others, ie they lose a little less energy on the journey down. Currently the best value for money per Watt is the 3W lights. I have used them and I have no problems with severe light shortages below the canopy, but the true comparison will be after harvest. So far my grow is going beautifully, or I think so at least. My units cost me a little over 3k(normally about R4500 & up) each, 2x3ooW panels. 100x3W bulbs each , true out put is 180W a better quality panel will be around 200-220 true watt. My lights are very much entry level but it was all I could afford for the first grow. I have now bought an e-shine light for my larger tent and will be starting a grow with it, it looks amazing and has great specs. I do not question that 5W is better hell there is a magnificent light that runs 12 spectrum 20W bulbs and does everything except water your plants and all by remote. But again I don't have 11k for 360W lights right now. I have seen great results under a mid range light. I've come across a few New Zealand growers who swear by it and it only has 4 spectrum red&red and blue&blue. The grows I have seen pics of, are amazing, the unit is modular so even if you import it yourself it is piss easy to change the unit out. The light carries on running if you get a dead led and they are very reasonably priced. Only th ereally cheap shit packs up after 1 LED dies. Some lights, generally just above entry level can be ordered with custom spectrum, your choice. They don't cost very much more than the standard units but they do take a wile longer to get to you, 3-5 wks.

Now in comparison for led and the rest, LED when setup correctly with quality bulbs can do what ever you want it to, the market is new so it is very trying with the half assed goods, these huge pannels with 400 bulbs that are 0.4W each ,may work for seedling and herb but you will be disappointed if you try grow Mm with them, I think 3W is best value for lumen right now but if you got the spare cash buy 5W. With regard to building your own, it is not cheaper, I tried it with an aquarium light, by the end of it it cost me the same, think about what a single growing grade led goes for R15-20, lens another R5, it goes up very fast. I would rather have spent the money because the factory unit is much prettier than my job...lol...

I am currently in week six of 12/12 of amnesia haze grown under led from start until hopefully harvest. The pics are on my phone so I will post the most recent I have which is 4th week of flower when I finish this.

There are a few people who sell LED in this country, people who are reluctant to give Tech specs stay away from them. They do not know enough to make sure they are selling you what you need. Find someone who knows their product who can show you the tech specs in a catalogue  or at least give you a link to a site you can see. Don't buy on a salesmans word. Don't be scared to ask questions. Check the make of led in the unit bridgelux, epistar are a couple good makes there are a few more. People can't screw you if learn what it is you need and then only buy that at a fair price. I think overall what I am trying to say is you gotta know your subject as it is complex(if you know nothing) and new, so people aren't able to screw you. If you check the details of what you buy you should not be dissapointed and deal with a person who knows his product and subject. Hope this helps, if I missed out anything just ask, i'll try.

Peace...

:-puffin

Completely LED. This is the Ark range of lights. Entry level but results are awesome. Four spectrum only. Red&red and blue&blue. Thought about adding warm cfl but decided against it as I want to see what it can do by itself.... ✌

😎...

Sent from my D5803

Completely LED. This is the Ark range of lights. Entry level but results are awesome. Four spectrum only. Red&red and blue&blue. Thought about adding warm cfl but decided against it as I want to see what it can do by itself.... ✌

😎...

Sent from my D5803

Then that is all I will need..I won't be growing more than two plants at a time...settled!

Posted a comprehensive answer to the spectrum questions in a new thread called LED spectrum information. I found it originally a few months back and it should make perfect sense to someone who has done aquariums.

Sent from my D5803

• 1 year later...