Internal Loud Chasers Testing

trichomechaser

I partnered up with a friend a couple years ago to start our breeding journey. While we'd both played around with some pollen chucking, with Loud Chasers we wanted to do things properly.

So far we're about 2 years into the work, but we wanted to make sure we created something we felt was truly our own before selecting a male to work with for when we hit our keepers and dig into the progeny.

We started the process by hitting a few of our best females with a gassy lemon OG male that had some of the most potent sisters we've come across. We then ran through about 50 beans from the resulting crosses and made two selections to take further.

One was a very special Sour Power OG cut and the other Death Row, a CSI:Humboldt strain that has Black Death in it, a lesser known cuf from Bodhi. It is a selection of Sterling Skunk.

1833330457_drch8final3.thumb.jpg.73b82ea8e265f33311566f8506aaadab.jpg

1158858273_finaldrch82.thumb.jpg.776d1292285bb707f6757571745c57ae.jpg

1195778661_finaldrch8.thumb.jpg.8b9acd5e984529abd80f5e76c9fbb266.jpg

558786222_final1.thumb.jpg.ca9f9ded62eeae97c74c935df5a498a8.jpg

Above: Death Row x Champawat #8

We then ran these two select cuts several times to get an idea of how they express in different environments.

I'm now in the process of crossing another OG dominant male into the mix. I want to retain the dark hues and stank of the Death Row #8 we ended up keeping, but also add some pure OG fuel in. I don't mind doing a bit of an incross here to strengthen the OG traits.

1431664052_SourpowerOG.thumb.jpg.a149acfe0c9c050a9613cbec8ab9b1d8.jpg

Above: Sour Power OG (CapeTownLoud Cut)

In the other (SPxCH) selection we made, we're also looking to add some of the resin that the Race Fuel line tended to exhibit.

We're still a good while out of our final crosses for release and stuff, but at least at this point we're quite far into finding something that feels ours. Hopefully we'll have our final stud selected in the 6 months or so.

• Like 4
  • Fire! 8

Insipration 🤩 

That's a beautiful cross you made! I've been thinking in the F1 group it's almost better to end up with 1 keeper instead of a bunch. even though this means the genepool is very diverse, now you have the traits you know you wana lock in moving forward.

I am at the very start of my breeding journey, been here for a while, can't seem to find a female I like enough to work with. I am also not 100% focused on it, it's been a background project for way too long now, I need to network more and get on the new stuff, I am still growing out old clones over here 😅 

I got a reg pack a while back planning on just finding the best male or two in the pack so I can get do a pollen chuck or two. just to get the feeling 🤙

Nice to see you posting here again bro, blast from the past! Coincidentally I was told to chat to you about breeding about a week ago by your SO on instagram, hoping this is the same person? 😅 instagram handle of the person who told me is serial puffs, you know them or am I talking to someone else right now? 🙃

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 4:57 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Insipration 🤩 

That's a beautiful cross you made! I've been thinking in the F1 group it's almost better to end up with 1 keeper instead of a bunch. even though this means the genepool is very diverse, now you have the traits you know you wana lock in moving forward.

I am at the very start of my breeding journey, been here for a while, can't seem to find a female I like enough to work with. I am also not 100% focused on it, it's been a background project for way too long now, I need to network more and get on the new stuff, I am still growing out old clones over here 😅 

I got a reg pack a while back planning on just finding the best male or two in the pack so I can get do a pollen chuck or two. just to get the feeling 🤙

Nice to see you posting here again bro, blast from the past! Coincidentally I was told to chat to you about breeding about a week ago by your SO on instagram, hoping this is the same person? 😅 instagram handle of the person who told me is serial puffs, you know them or am I talking to someone else right now? 🙃

Appreciate the love guys.

Haha, didn't know that was you. But yeah man, I'm always keen to chat genetics and breeding.

That's not a bad way to start the breeding journey in my opinion. For us the first step was establishing a library of females that we really loved over the years. Some of the cuts were found over 5 years ago and have kind of been waiting for their time to shine. The biggest challenge is running through enough seeds to find the things you're looking for. I used to grow 6-8 plants a run when growing for smoke, but now that I've been focusing a bit more on breeding, I'm scaling down the pot sizes and yields and focusing on just looking through as many genetics as possible. I'm fitting around 25 plants into a small tent at this point to run through, out of those there will probably be 3-4 females that get a second run from cut before narrowing down selections.

For me, I love hunting through F1 and F2 populations, especially F2 for the recessive traits that become exposed, if you're able to look through enough plants to find them (or get lucky).

• Like 4

Your results thus far look awesome and speak for themselves.🔥 

We need more South Africans involved in proper breeding....for the love of the herb not chasing $$$. (That will come in its own time.)

• Like 5

On 5/3/2023 at 9:54 AM, trichomechaser said:

Appreciate the love guys.

Haha, didn't know that was you. But yeah man, I'm always keen to chat genetics and breeding.

That's not a bad way to start the breeding journey in my opinion. For us the first step was establishing a library of females that we really loved over the years. Some of the cuts were found over 5 years ago and have kind of been waiting for their time to shine. The biggest challenge is running through enough seeds to find the things you're looking for. I used to grow 6-8 plants a run when growing for smoke, but now that I've been focusing a bit more on breeding, I'm scaling down the pot sizes and yields and focusing on just looking through as many genetics as possible. I'm fitting around 25 plants into a small tent at this point to run through, out of those there will probably be 3-4 females that get a second run from cut before narrowing down selections.

For me, I love hunting through F1 and F2 populations, especially F2 for the recessive traits that become exposed, if you're able to look through enough plants to find them (or get lucky).

Awesome work man, I can imagine once starting to do proper pheno hunting on that level it becomes more exciting to reveal recessive traits in the F2 pool. Right now I am basically calling a "shot at luck" my phenohunt, cause I'm still working with seed packs and never had yo work through a bigger batch than 5 at a time 😅 so not really a hunt. 

A question on the plant count topic, working with such a high plant count in a small tent. My understanding is you gotta clone every pheno before flipping, how big do you grow them before cloning and how do you go about the clones? If I got 25 plants and I take 3 to 5 cuts per plant to ensure at least one of each root. That's between 75 to 125 cuts for every pheno hunt. Is this correct, or how do you go about it? 

I've got a 2 or 3 ladies I would like to knock up, was thinking of doing a BX on all of them just to get the feeling and see what I can do, but also dig through my reg pack asap for the best male and hit them all with his pollen for a OX. Just testing the waters, seeds will be distributed freely as I don't have space to dig through them all especially if it's just the "test run" and don't really want to work with the seeds. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Awesome work man, I can imagine once starting to do proper pheno hunting on that level it becomes more exciting to reveal recessive traits in the F2 pool. Right now I am basically calling a "shot at luck" my phenohunt, cause I'm still working with seed packs and never had yo work through a bigger batch than 5 at a time 😅 so not really a hunt. 

A question on the plant count topic, working with such a high plant count in a small tent. My understanding is you gotta clone every pheno before flipping, how big do you grow them before cloning and how do you go about the clones? If I got 25 plants and I take 3 to 5 cuts per plant to ensure at least one of each root. That's between 75 to 125 cuts for every pheno hunt. Is this correct, or how do you go about it? 

I've got a 2 or 3 ladies I would like to knock up, was thinking of doing a BX on all of them just to get the feeling and see what I can do, but also dig through my reg pack asap for the best male and hit them all with his pollen for a OX. Just testing the waters, seeds will be distributed freely as I don't have space to dig through them all especially if it's just the "test run" and don't really want to work with the seeds. 

100% - and sometimes you even just end up with genetics that together create something special to run through. Each combination is so unique, depending on how each plant breeds. Sometimes you run an F1 population even, and find some really unique expressions that weren't really too prevalent in the plants used. But I do like F2s for their recessive traits.

When it comes to flipping seed vs clone - it depends at which point in the project we are. When we are running testers we will run them from seed initially and flower them out, because we want to gauge what the average grower would get out of them. No good having plants that thrive from clone but grow terribly from seed.

But you're right, we typically run plants from cut for quite a number of times before ensuring it's worth working with or sticking around and we do still take cuts of our tester runs, as you never know when something special pops up. It's not uncommon for me to have 50+ cuts rooting at one time. This can be a bit of a pain, but with just 2 of the regular clone domes (large ones) you can typically fit around 36 cuts. So just two of those is typically enough. To help minimize the requirement of cuts at one time, I take 2 cuts off each pheno just before flip and then if they haven't rooted by week 2 of flower, I take 2 additional cuttings as backup. Usually, 90% or more of cuts are rooted in the first phase.

Backcrosses are good, but they are also best used when you really understand the genetics and the way they breed. BX is typically used to re-enforce certain traits. The plant you backcross to will be re-enforced by bringing more of those genetics back into the line. But this can also go really wrong if you backcross to a plant that has negative traits (stretchiness, low yield, etc.)

I personally think it's important to test out a few beans of anything before gifting them out even, just so one can give them an idea of what to expect. The impacts of someone getting a tent full of herms can permanently impact your reputation and those people won't remember whether they were free or not, just the experience. Or just make sure they are aware its untested.

If one isn't breeding with particular goals in mind, the other option that is good for just running through beans to find something special, is to do an open pollination with multiple males pollinating the same females at the same time. While this means you can't really reuse a male, it does mean the resulting seeds will have more diversity. If the goal is simply to find something special.

• Like 4