Are people still using Hps lights? And running multiple ballasts

nakes

On 4/3/2023 at 6:12 PM, nakes said:

Is running multiple 600w HPS ballast worth running or would it just hurt my pocket?

Definitely still guys running HPS, but it's not economical at all when you factor in the amount of power you need for a backup solution with loadshedding in mind. I know of some guys running a grow club that nearly went under recently because of all the above factors. Obviously also not easy to just switch to expensive LED equivalents when you are already fully invested in the HPS and are riding on the edge of what you are able to afford. 

Imagine having everything necessary to grow, but no power. This applies to all industry currently. 

If you are a Chad with a compound, a generator and infinite money, then I don't see why not keep the HPS specifically for flower. CMH, MH and HPS are all still great technologies for growing good bud. 

• Agree 2

With HID you also have to replace bulbs and ballasts over time, you get a few good grows then quality starts to go south. 

I know a guy some money, not endless amounts, though he switched to LED cause in summer he wasn't able to run the setup without having an aircon run together with the lights doubling running costs. 

if you run LED you still get some heat at the canopy. it's just the roots that might slow down a little bit, but if this reeeeeaaally bothers you it's very easy and cheap running a small fish tank heater in a 20L bucket where you mix your nutrient or dechlorinate your water before giving it to the plants, get the water to the 25-30°C range before giving it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should also mention that the v3 generation of diodes overtook the HID world by quality of light. The new diode generation gives better light, more the plants can use.. and got more efficient 😉

The next generation diodes should be not far out, we run on v3 for a few years now. It might be tempting to buy HID due to the prices a starter set costs. Eskom will have eaten that advantage within one growth! Plus HID need globe replacement about all 6 month.. and those globes are not cheap.. is like Printers these days. Printer is 250 bugs.. a cartridge is 150 ^^

Go LED, costs less electricity to run, generates less heat and is the better light if you go v3. Is a win/win/win. I use my TS3000 from Mars for 3 years now.. The same in HID globes would have cost me double.. at least.

Edited by Prom
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1