Seedling Issue

cheese420

Hi All

So I recently germinated some seedlings using the paper towel method and I honestly did not expect them to germinate so quickly.

So the seeds germinated and ended up pushing the paper towel up and away and tried to reach for light which of course they could not find, since being in a dark place.

They ended up flopping over and their tiny leaves became a very pale yellow/almost white

I immediately put some water in the towel and actually thought of just throwing them away due to how stretched they looked. They are all regular seeds that were freebies with a cannazon order...Sugar Haze.

But then I decided let me put them in soil and see what happens. The next day they looked greener and happier.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience with this issue? How can I strengthen their stems? The one in picture that looks the most stable was rescued earlier as it germinated a bit later.

Current conditions:

100W 6500k CFL

Jamies garden soil

Small fan blowing over them...not directly but enough for air to flow over them.

They have been in their containers for about 24 hours now....the stronger looking one about 2 days. Any help/ideas?

IMG_20160204_160329_zpsgbglk1ut.jpg

Yeah I also thought I would just let them sort themselves out.

Haha I think once I checked on them after 2 days and only saw some small taproots...then I think it was probably another 3 days but I moved the one which looks strongest only the next morning after I realised what was happening

Seedlings need great attention, just like babies...

That is why I find the paper towel method such a NO NO.

You see when you use that method you will indefinitely damage roots once you try plant it and more than likely expose the rootlets to oxygen that will cause them to die down.

On the other hand if you plant directly into your starter medium (coco, soil, rockwool, jiffy) you will avoid any contamination.

And only the strong will survive and show their heads to the light....

On the plus side they were freebies and now you have learnt a lesson about germination. So you gained either way you look at it.

Peace

Thanks for the responses guys! Yeah a lesson learned at least....Final seed has broken the surface. So 5 Sugar Haze's regulars.....I plan to flower all of them quite short since I dont know the strain and my space is fairly limited. 

Hope they bounce back quick!

Just thought I would give a small update on how they are recovering....

Seem to have bounced back but the bent ones are growing quite slow. Not 100% sure what I am going to do with them.

I have acquired all things necessary to grow hydroponically with coco....Was wondering if i should transplant them straight into coco or spray off the soil and then transplant?

I begun germinating some bagseed in order to start with fresh the coco and get the hang of the schedule I will be using. The nutrients Im going to use are the Easy Hydro Grow. Nutriplex wasnt available without me having to order it and courier it down. Would prefer the Nutriplex as it has a guaranteed analysis at the back of each bottle.

Pics of recovery:

IMG_20160210_205635_zps4doruegv.jpg

IMG_20160210_205655_zpsrqukqbll.jpg

@cheese420, my experience with coco is that I'm still a noob. The coco I'm using seems pretty awesome, BUT, I'm not sure how freshly germinated seeds hold up in it. I managed to kill 4 seeds in coco a few days after the broke the surface. But that was my own doing, it's called damping off, my medium was too wet. I used a humidity dome, I feel that was the mistake.

I'm sure if your coco is damp, it'll be fine.

Hey, great that they pulled through.

Just a suggestion.. You are using JGS soil which is a 100% organic living soil. I wouldn't use synthetic nutes like nutriplex or easy hydro.

You shouldn't need any nutes for a good few weeks but once they start looking hungry use compost teas and biobizz organic products.

The salts in synthetic stuff will kill your microbes which is defeating the purpose of organic living soil.

As always each to their own though... Just my 2c ;)

Haha sup @Ajcapetown

Yeah man those seedlings are staying in JGS soil mix till I know what I want to do with them.

I purchased EGH nutrients and pH meter etc for future grows. I germinated 2 bagseed seeds in coco and will experiment with them to get the hang of chemical nutrients.

I am planning to do 2 Autos in the coco so just trying to see how these coco bricks fair as a medium

Hey Cheese, I'm an organic guy so I'd say keep them in organic soil but there's no doubt straight coco/perlite with synthetic nutes will get you faster growth with bigger yields... A lot of cash croppers go that way for faster profit.

I find there's a lot more pride in growing an organic product which is healthier and sooo much more tasty.

But then again seeing faster growth with bigger yields is also exciting haha! 

Maybe doing a bit of both will work well for you.

Guest kimcarsons

Bullshit. My chem grown bud will taste just as good. The nutrients have fuck all to do with it. Besides, as for health, have you checked your soil content??  Is there say Al in it? Or perhaps some HG? Not uncommon to find heavy metal deposits in soil. I'd never add such to my plant. It is far less about technique and far more about the grower.

Guest kimcarsons

Well I remember a great grower saying how he uses seawater, boiled and cooled, as an additive to his DWC system. Recons it improved the levels of vital trace elements. Sadly he disappeared never to be seen again :(

Sea water sounds rough though hey.

I mean there is a crazy amount of salt in sea water. its something like 800g / 10l water. I wonder if plants would even survive a few days in it. But then, I know nothing, so I suppose it could be possible. My reasoning doesn't agree though.  :poke 

:-peace

Guest kimcarsons

So reduce the amount used? So 800g per 10l makes 80g per 1l, 8 per 100ml, .8 per 10ml, 0.08 per 1ml. I'm doubtful he was using sea water as his base. Salt is not  something plants are allergic to. In fact think how many processes will yield NaCl as a by product?! Go back to your compost pile Tote.

Lol you guys:-meditate

Anyway here is how they looking at the moment. I am going to transplant one this week into coco and see how it reacts. Probably going to wash off the soil so none of it affects my pH in the coco.

IMG_20160215_180930_zpsxpl0yhlq.jpg

IMG_20160215_180914_zpsdnv2vrsc.jpg

Side note...I have also now experienced dampening for the first time I believe. Seem to have lost a seedling in coco...luckily it was bagseed. Other 2 bagseeds seem normal...strange cause I swear they received the same amount of water...The coco may have been more moist than I thought when I filled the pot