My dungeon

Pants

So been itching for an upgrade, as always. The space is coming together as some of you might know. This weekend I’m heading into the automation game.

After a lot of research and being a iOS developer and Apple guy, I settled on the Aqara range for now. Got a camera+hub for R1300, temperature/humidity sensor for R350 amd switches for just over 400 each.

62b2acddbec94a951e3ce9868788610a.jpg

ab1d7af093ea7a03fcd3316b97086365.jpg

The first 10 mins went smooth. Pairs the camera and sensor and got this with no fuss.

7e2b42ecf3f66d6b1f05e435df377521.jpg

Currently playing with Siri Shortcuts to get a historical graph. Got the sensors output to a file and into Charty, giving me this.

9c99670437ea4383cf992ddf044bc531.jpg

• Like 7
  • Fire! 3

On 9/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, Pants said:

So I looked up some vpd charts. Seems like for a ~65% humidity for early flower I need to run over 30 celcius emoji51.png

So going to add a little fan heater and checking what that does to growth

91697704e6586cffc445f14896a81ae8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from your statement about the graph, i am not sure you understand it correctly.

this isnt a mix and match chart, but more of an info chart. it tells you what your VPD is by charting your CURRENT temp vs your CURRENT Rh.

so by saying you need to go above 30 degrees to get a RH of 65 is wrong.

an example is as follows. the early veg tent temp is a cool 25 degrees, and humidity is a bit low today at 40% - that means your VPD is 1.41, not exactly ideal for early veg, but it is what it is.

if you want to change the vpd to a better veg VPD, you will need to raise the RH with a humidifier to between 60 -70% while the temp stays at 25. OR lower the temp down to 15 degrees while RH stays at 40%.

so it is just a chart showing where you are, and indicating your course of action to improve your vpd depending on the phase of growth.

let me know if this makes more sense to you...because it can be a very powerful piece of knowledge to carry around with you

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

VPD can be extremely difficult to control though as there are factors which one can often find difficult to control, or difficult to control to match a good VPD.

Such as humidity and temperature. In both cases, if you need to lower your RH or temp you often require an aircon and/or dehumidifier. Not cheap and even when you have this equipment sometimes it is not sufficient to ensure the RH and temps are always kept within the set range - especially humidity as the dehumidifier can only remove soo much water at a time and the more plants, the more moisture is being released etc.

My room is not always spot on for the VPD. I try control it as much as possible though but well shit. Just gotta make the best of it.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. After a long day of not focusing on work and reading g up on vpd, I came to the following experiment as I understand it.

This is for the flower box, according to the charts. Early flower is 0.8-1.2. Late flower is 1.2-1.6.

After lots of trial and error I managed to get the shortcuts to do the vpd calculation!!

The fan heater also dries out the air, so a win win, as I usually sit 60-70.

I’m a little Box the heater took it from 21&70% to 30&32%. Using the vpd calculated from current temp and hum, the fan heater kicks on when it drops to below 1 and off when it reaches 1.5. Let’s see how it goes

Only problem is when to trigger the shortcut? Well I settled on a hack. As there is a small usb fan on 24/7 and the leaves move….. the camera can pick up movement as a trigger. BOOM

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pants said:

So the mornings updated graphs. Also logging current vpd at canopy level and heater and n/off state
c60f3cbdfeb1c6e2d00c0dc89f42a65c.png

And a nice live view
56d262244a07b12e25b93e9f3671bea6.png

I may be wrong bud, but im sure VPD is calculated at leaf surface temperature, which is close to ambient, (but not always, stress plants are hotter)  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ok. So more experimentation. Better get this over with.
081021c0236993fd40ab8113737f78d4.png

Settled on going for temp 23-25. Looks like hum Will behave, let’s see what happens overnight.

At around 3:30 I kicked on the heater and went on the school run, got back to a flower box of 40 C. Perhaps the fancy vpd Calc is risky as the trigger relies on movement.

New plan: try and stabilize temp around 24. Hum seems to come down to better levels as well there.

Last bit was me opening the flower box to work on the girls. Temp dropped to 17 and hum shot to 70%.

All I have to do now is close the box and it should settle.

Update tomorrow

• Like 2

So weekend away and things are running as they should. Temperature stabilizing around 24 gives me hum of 60. Best I can do without a dehumidifier.

Plants are a lot happier after a couple of days.
b6babfd2f2546005c6a766434e81ed0e.jpg

In the veg space on top it’s running a bit Cooler and humidity around 70.

396d925597c5b07309984d65c09b84c0.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Pants said:

So things are almost stabilizing. Plus the bonus being 600 km away from the girls I can still take a look at them.
18424e855a6f1f3e352a48905af9b65d.jpg

This is cool, I also want to set up a camera but I'm too lazy and I need to buy one first

• Like 1
  • Agree 1