First grow: Dinamed Kush & UK Cheese

itchylemon

Hi all, this is my first grow so please bear with me if I need an extraordinary amount of guidance 😅

Here are the main details.

• Strains: Dinamed Kush and UK Cheese (both autos)
  • Space: Outdoor on my apartment balcony (north facing)
  • Medium: FF Premium Classic Soil
  • Nutrients: Bio-Bizz Grow, Bio-Bizz Bloom, Seagro, Kelpak, Wurmbosch worm castings (I won't necessarily use all of these nutrients, but I have them at my disposal)
  • Pots: 2 x 9l plastic pots and 2 x 10l FF fabric pots. I'm planning to grow one seed from each strain in each type of pot (for science). I know these pots are on the smaller side, but I don't mind if my plants are a little small.
  • Extra stuff: A soil PH and moisture reader, which probably won't be necessary since I'm using living soil.

I'm realising now that I planted my seeds a couple weeks early, but oh well. I put them in peat plugs a 4 days ago and was concerned that I hadn't seen any signs of germination yet. This probably wasn't the best idea but I was impatient this morning and gently removed a little soil from the plugs with a chopstick this morning. I see signs of life in 3/4 seeds so far. They were surprisingly deep in there! Will post some photos in the next day or two once they're peeking out of the soil.

So my first question: Should I wait until they're a certain size before I get them outside an into their pots, or is sooner better?

And second question: When preparing the pots should I add anything to the FF Premium Classic Soil? I'm planning to add a sprinkling of red clover seeds as a companion, and am considering adding a small amount of diatomaceous earth to the mix, mainly because I have some and I don't think it could hurt. I also have worm castings available but I'm cautious of adding nutrients at the start because I know the soil already has what the plants need for the first few weeks.

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 1

The FF Soil will last up to 6 weeks no problem , you don't have to feed anything till then. Check on the bag , DE might be in the soil already can't remember. Maybe put the plugs in the pots when the germ , you don't want autos roots to stick out of the plugs . Then again I haven't done autos yet

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, itchylemon said:

Hi all, this is my first grow so please bear with me if I need an extraordinary amount of guidance 😅

Here are the main details.

• Strains: Dinamed Kush and UK Cheese (both autos)
  • Space: Outdoor on my apartment balcony (north facing)
  • Medium: FF Premium Classic Soil
  • Nutrients: Bio-Bizz Grow, Bio-Bizz Bloom, Seagro, Kelpak, Wurmbosch worm castings (I won't necessarily use all of these nutrients, but I have them at my disposal)
  • Pots: 2 x 9l plastic pots and 2 x 10l FF fabric pots. I'm planning to grow one seed from each strain in each type of pot (for science). I know these pots are on the smaller side, but I don't mind if my plants are a little small.
  • Extra stuff: A soil PH and moisture reader, which probably won't be necessary since I'm using living soil.

I'm realising now that I planted my seeds a couple weeks early, but oh well. I put them in peat plugs a 4 days ago and was concerned that I hadn't seen any signs of germination yet. This probably wasn't the best idea but I was impatient this morning and gently removed a little soil from the plugs with a chopstick this morning. I see signs of life in 3/4 seeds so far. They were surprisingly deep in there! Will post some photos in the next day or two once they're peeking out of the soil.

So my first question: Should I wait until they're a certain size before I get them outside an into their pots, or is sooner better?

And second question: When preparing the pots should I add anything to the FF Premium Classic Soil? I'm planning to add a sprinkling of red clover seeds as a companion, and am considering adding a small amount of diatomaceous earth to the mix, mainly because I have some and I don't think it could hurt. I also have worm castings available but I'm cautious of adding nutrients at the start because I know the soil already has what the plants need for the first few weeks.

I would keep the peat pellets in a dome (if you have one) until they germinate, then I'd fill the pot with just FF soil and put the pellet into a hole with some Mycoroot at the bottom. Don't add any other nutrients and don't overwater. You're going to have to be extra careful because you're in your final pot and it's easy to misjudge the watering, especially when they're babies. Good luck and welcome to the club 🤘

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GGG said:

The FF Soil will last up to 6 weeks no problem , you don't have to feed anything till then. Check on the bag , DE might be in the soil already can't remember. Maybe put the plugs in the pots when the germ , you don't want autos roots to stick out of the plugs . Then again I haven't done autos yet emoji847.png

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

Ya I'm thinking I'll put the plugs in the pots asap once they've sprouted. The seeds ended up much deeper in the plugs than planned, so there may not be a lot of room for the roots to form below them. 

9 minutes ago, donnob said:

I would keep the peat pellets in a dome (if you have one) until they germinate, then I'd fill the pot with just FF soil and put the pellet into a hole with some Mycoroot at the bottom. Don't add any other nutrients and don't overwater. You're going to have to be extra careful because you're in your final pot and it's easy to misjudge the watering, especially when they're babies. Good luck and welcome to the club 🤘

I've got them on a dish currently, with a plastic bag over to retain some warmth and humidity. It looks like they have germinated which is great to see - well 3 of the 4 at least. I couldn't find the 4th one, but didn't want to dig around too much 😅 Just waiting for them to breach the soil now. Will see if I can get some Mycoroot before then but I think it's unlikely.

Thank you both for the advice and welcomes!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, donnob said:

Nice socks dude 😜

Can't see properly but it almost looks like the pots are only half filled?

I'll post a better picture of the pots soon. The perspective makes them look emptier than they are, but that said, I did leave some excess space at the top. The pots are each about 25cm deep with about 6cm of space. My thinking was that I wanted to have the seedlings slightly protected from the wind while they're still tiny. I'd also rather have my plants be on the smaller side for the first grow because my balcony space is quite limited and I probably should've only germinated one seed of each strain 😅

Edited by itchylemon

So we're about 8 days since I planted the seeds in the peat pellets. So far 3/4 have been plated in their pots, and one seed has yet come out of it's shell.

As for the ones that have been potted, the one Dinamed seedling that sprouted first is looking great, and the other two not as great but hopefully nothing to worry about. The two Dinamed seedlings were potted 3 days ago, and the Cheese 2 days ago.

Here are some photos of the 3 of them. 

IMG_20210912_093133.jpg

IMG_20210912_093144.jpg

IMG_20210912_094305.jpg

• Like 6

It's been about a week since my last update. Since then I've given up on the one cheese seed that didn't germinate, and I've planted another that is looking good and healthy. 

In this update I specifically want to address the two in my previous post that looked a little sad. In the images below you can see it looks like a gogga indeed had a little chomp on one baby leaf, but that plant is now coming along just fine. The other (one of the Dinamed seedlings) is struggling - the leaves are still very small, a little deformed and also yellowing. I expect a nutrient deficiency at this stage is very unlikely. Could this be related to over watering?

e83920d4-1d1a-4acc-8078-7518aef09f80.jpg

50dd7999-905d-4563-90d9-719f52774cf8.jpg

For context, here's the other Dinamed seedling which was planted on the same day and given exactly the same treatment (except that it's in fabric pot as opposed to plastic).

cccb8bc7-2c3f-413c-a9fc-c538a6298ce6.jpg

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 2

One of my seedlings has lost it's first set of proper leaves. They just kinda fell of I guess. You can see in the photos on my previous post that it was looking deformed and yellowing. I also think it's strange how the cotyledon leaves on this one never really opened up wide - they've always been quite upright.

f5f5ee3d-5996-47e8-a48b-648fdb6081d9.jpg.8cbabddef8bcd5e602c2ee71d27c8aba.jpg

Is there any chance it could recover, or should I be starting to germinate a replacement?

• Like 1

We're about 1 month into the grow now so here's a proper update on each plant:

DM1.thumb.jpg.e4d18ea220243022034c22315b505af6.jpg

Dinamed 1: Growth has been slow for the past few weeks, likely because I planted to early, but it seems she's really kicked into gear over the last week (but she's still tiny). For the past two waterings I have included some Bio-Grow at (1.25ml per 2l), and she seems to be appreciating it. As you can see I've also kicked off LST today but I don't really know what I'm doing so I'm taking it super slow. Coincidently I noticed the first tiny pistol earlier so she's starting to flower - right on schedule, though I hoped she'd be a bit bigger by now. Think I'll start adding Bio-Bloom in a week or so.

DM2.thumb.jpg.d5f91438f93266a599496dc683a15fbe.jpg

Dinamed 2: This seedling was planted at the same time as the one above, but had an issue with the first two leaves growing deformed. They eventually fell off and since then a bunch of little leaves have tried to grow. It's really hard to see in this photo but all the leaves are tiny and deformed. My current theory is that this plant has some kind of detrimental mutation preventing proper leaf development. Sad to say it but I've given up on her and already have a replacement germinating.

Cheese1.jpg.c05287566daf0d495dc4f6e5d8168095.jpg

Cheese 1: This plant is coming along similarly well to the Dinamed 1, but is just a little smaller. I have her on the same feeding schedule which includes Bio-Grow (at 1.25ml per 2l) for the last two waterings. LST was also started today - taking it very slow. Unlike Dinamed 1, this one shows no signs of flowering yet.

Cheese2.thumb.jpg.d005277b847e1031e3ff94dc23c8350f.jpg

Cheese 2: The initial seed didn't germinate, so this replacement was planted about a week after the others. Seems to be coming along well. I suspect she'll start growing more vigorously like the others shortly. I haven't given any fertiliser yet but will start with a low concentration at next watering.

In other news, I've purchased a Wedryer XL to hopefully make the drying process as pain (and smell) free as possible. Also bought some Bio-Bizz Top Max which I'll add to feeding regime for plants in flowering phase. Oh, and two more FF 10l fabric pots.. It's quite crazy how slow the soil in plastic pots dries out compared to fabric.

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 5

One week since the last update and holy moly the two bigger plants have grown a lot!

DM!.thumb.jpg.7ccb9b69fe0c9e94400b1d67a888f4fa.jpgIMG_6207.thumb.jpg.cca79232f2b39beea44ff43d9681b9a6.jpg

Dinamed 1 is responding well to the LST. Given that she's started flowering she's really stretching out which has made it easy to move things out the way and open up all the bud sites to direct sunlight. Today was the first feeding including Bio-Bloom and Topmax. Up until now only been feeding with Bio-Grow, a little Seagro and occasional Kelpak foliar spray. Also included a close up photo of the top bud site. Still very early days but things are starting to get interesting. 

C1.thumb.jpg.322e191ce494cbe207e82274c19b5f3c.jpg

Cheese 1 has grown a whole lot more foliage and her leaves in general have gotten much bigger, but still has very short spacing between nodes so I can't open her up a whole lot with LST. I reckon I'll have better success once she starts flowering and gets stretchy - still no signs of flowering yet though. Currently feeding with just Bio-Grow, a little Seagro and occasional Kelpak foliar spray

• Like 3

Another week down, another quick update. You might notice that these photos are taken next to a window. I keep the plants on the balcony until late afternoon, and then bring them in for a couple extra hours of sunlight when the balcony is shaded.

DM1.thumb.jpg.ab56c322bc506bda457b1e821cf37110.jpg

Dinamed 1: Buds are coming along fast. They have a very deep purple, almost black colour. I'd be concerned but it seems typical for this strain. I'll post some nice pictures of the buds soon. Smelling good too!

DM2.thumb.jpg.c2cb7ac047c33012dd14b851bc75e34a.jpg

Dinamed 2b: Just a tiny baby growing up to take the place of it's failed sibling.

C1.thumb.jpg.03a4b0b4a662f46164276619c0cdd0a9.jpg

Cheese 1: She's gone into flowering now so is starting to stretch out, making it easier to open up the lower nodes to sunlight using LST. 
Started to include Bio-Bloom and Topmax into her feeding. Despite her very short size, she's got quite a lot of substance. Might do some defoliating soon. 

C2.thumb.jpg.fa5bd85bf51513320d0dee1f6390657c.jpg

Cheese 2: Despite being plated about a week later than Cheese 1, and also being much smaller, she's also got a couple pistols now. Probably going to start stretching shortly. One slightly annoying thing about the plastic pots is that it takes much longer for soil to dry out, so less water added means less nutrients added.

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 4

We're only 3 weeks since the first pistols appeared on Dinamed 1, but I can't help wonder if I should be preparing for harvest? To my untrained eye it looks like most, if not all, trichomes are quite cloudy. It kinda seems like they came cloudy out of the box. All pistols are still looking very fresh though.

I assume she still needs a little time, but should I be flushing already or is it way too soon?

EDIT: I've been doing some more research and I reckon I'm still a a couple weeks from harvest so just going to keep feeding as usual.

IMG_6271.thumb.jpg.1a09b214e85b7cd2a720285a09aae5cc.jpg

IMG_6265.thumb.jpg.39db88d849b0990d1159434e6ca7b241.jpg

IMG_6258.thumb.jpg.67ca6a449b25e8c9842f1bd50f8e1237.jpg

IMG_6266.thumb.jpg.3815526ec172d3bdff9a3285d4db4cd1.jpg

IMG_6255.thumb.jpg.555ca362321b330899cadc11392f6824.jpg

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 4
  • Fire! 1

Photo dump from this morning.

Buds on Dinamed 1 are fattening up! Cheese 1 and 2 are slowing down their stretch and look ready to push out some buds. Strangely they seem to be at exactly the same phase of flowering despite being planted about a week apart. Dinamed 2 just hanging out being tiny.

DM1.thumb.jpeg.29d832107ac096b11b8a7185493a54de.jpeg

DM2.thumb.jpeg.c97a250a66e70c8c8e1c9a9c2b91f43f.jpeg

Fam1.thumb.jpeg.bd531f4fc8d3626d3cc467c934b87513.jpeg

FAM2.jpeg.98b9c7cd720f28fc77ebc271f0ad0232.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Fire! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been about 2 weeks since the last update. Things are coming along!

Dinamed 1's buds have fattened up quite a bit. The plant is almost one solid bud now. You'll see in the very close up photo that some trichomes are starting to turn amber and the rest are cloudy. That particular bud is definitely more amber than the others though. The calyxes have swollen up and the pistols have mostly turned brown and retracted. I've started flushing her and plan to harvest within a few days. My only concern is that I maybe left the flush too late (started 5 days ago) and I'm not sure I want the buds to ripen much more given that it's a CBD only strain.

Dinamed 2 is very weird. Hardly grew, and started flowering about 3 weeks after germination. All the while, the leaves have been weirdly curled since the start. At first I thought it was overwatering, then underwatering, then ph or low nitrogen. I've kinda given up and just accepted she's a weird one.

The two cheese plants have each tripled or so in size since they first showed signs of flowering about a month ago (one week after Dinamed 1). They spent a long time stretching and now seem to be focusing on bud development (and smelling great already :). I removed a few of the big fan leaves - one every few days to minimise stress. I'm really hoping that these will be ready to harvest before xmas. Currently feeding bio-grow (about 0.5ml/l), bio-bloom (about 1.5ml/l) and topmax (about 0.75ml/l) with a little seagrow too. It's funny how as soon as I started feeding with topmax, the red clovers in the pot started getting huge.

IMG_6560.thumb.jpg.2367f1214f4f9a36e17609a5a4ec6cc2.jpg

IMG_6557.thumb.jpg.ba190dd9f64f7a075b61e351152ab055.jpg

IMG_6554.thumb.jpg.59adc8be6b1cd786dae77aa344155c7d.jpg

IMG_6545.thumb.jpg.eb2da2600d37656bb23c4e6d26934814.jpg

IMG_6548.thumb.jpg.e2605c2eaf6cdf3e1190f35fceaab2ac.jpg

fb1ec169-ab9e-400c-bb9a-e85517cec2ef.thumb.jpg.9ac4e7a46f9f4211e17a2e28230bbc38.jpg

Edited by itchylemon
  • Like 4
  • Fire! 1

Harvest day of Dinamed 1. Took a couple last portraits yesterday before harvesting at dawn this morning. It's not a lot of bud but I'm impressed considering how small she was. I've done a rough wet trim and placed the buds in the wedryer. Reckon I'll do another trim in a few days before curing.

IMG_6577.thumb.jpg.90340060082661117bea68c3a204b818.jpg

IMG_6581.thumb.jpg.ab7328131c8ae74d66f9de0503b75c45.jpg

IMG_20211116_055310.thumb.jpg.51c461fc17b9ded4aa8d91a4f3d535fd.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update today:

Dinamed 1 has finished drying and is now on day 4 of curing. All going well so far. 

Cheese 1 and 2 are still flowering with a couple weeks to go at least. I'm slightly concerned that all pistols seem to have brown tips even though bud development isn't that far along. The photos below are from cheese 2 which seems to be further along in terms of trichome development, but cheese 1 has the same browning pistol tips - and it's all over, not just the top buds. Other than that the plants look very healthy. Is this anything to worry about?

IMG_6591.thumb.jpg.8359be03fa667ac5a20b0ef18de119fe.jpg

IMG_6594.thumb.jpg.b5989c24e87edf029c691aff763f4cf0.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Here we are on approx. day 130 of these UK cheese auto-flowers. They were supposed to finish up after around 75 days but I guess not.. Maybe it's because I planted them too early (early Sept).

We're nearing the finish line though. About to start flushing the further along of the two. Buds are looking and smelling great.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6621.jpg

IMG_6627.jpg

IMG_6628.jpg

• Like 3