Dark period before harvest

We know this topic all too well, it has always been a back and forth and never really coming to any conclusion as there has never been any real big time studies done on it...

so I found this video.

click on the link it will take you to the YT page. 

If you're not redirected to the video, it's by Lost Leaf and it's called Darkness Before Harvest Lab Results.

One thing I find note worthy, if you harvest a plant in sections you're potentially just giving parts of the plant longer life than the rest and you will obviously have different results. A more accurate analysis would be data from seperate plants, clones from same mother and all with same profiles, all harvested on the same day, but with one recieving normal 12/12 till harvest day. one with 24hr darkness. one with 48hr darkness and one with 72hr darkness. 

and this needs to be done with atleast a few different genetics

• Like 2

Cool that someone actually did this, although as you said results can be skewed on purpose or accidentally.

We all know THC is affected by how mature the trichomes are, leaving the plant for longer means more time for the trichomes to mature.

I also wonder how much THC would differ between different buds from the same plant where it was all harvested at the same time?

To do a test like this and do it accurately would be a bit tricky and require lots of lab tests to look for consistency I feel.

As you said, multiple of the same cuttings grown together and simply harvested at different times and with multiple strains and then multiple buds from each plant harvested at different times. Wouldn't be a cheap test to do either - depending on what lab tests you do.

The terps seem to consistently drop though with the dark period. So if one is after terps, the darkness period isn't for you it seems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Cool that someone actually did this, although as you said results can be skewed on purpose or accidentally.

We all know THC is affected by how mature the trichomes are, leaving the plant for longer means more time for the trichomes to mature.

I also wonder how much THC would differ between different buds from the same plant where it was all harvested at the same time?

To do a test like this and do it accurately would be a bit tricky and require lots of lab tests to look for consistency I feel.

As you said, multiple of the same cuttings grown together and simply harvested at different times and with multiple strains and then multiple buds from each plant harvested at different times. Wouldn't be a cheap test to do either - depending on what lab tests you do.

The terps seem to consistently drop though with the dark period. So if one is after terps, the darkness period isn't for you it seems.

yeah hahah and unfortunately I don't think anyone from around here will be doing any kind of testing of this sort.

about the difference in terp results, this could also be affected by the single plant being harvested at different times, or what you think?

10 hours ago, greenkush said:

In other news throwing banana peels at your plant allows it to mature faster... 

brother hahahah just checking, but this is a joke right? or you saying we should give banana peels to our plants?

11 hours ago, GGG said:

Ripe banana leaves give out ethaline that helps with ripening. But how much faster it ripens emoji2371.png

Sent from my Hisense Infinity H50 using Tapatalk

Wait. banana leaves or peels?

I am sure you know the banana peel, not the whole thing, just generally speaking any of it first has to decompose before your plant can do anything with any of it, during that process there will be a few beneficial compounds made available to the plant. Depending on the process, with the variables being what does the decomposing work and in what manner (earthworms, microbes and the millions of other decomposers), and the other variable being that not all banana peels contain exactly the same amount of all compounds, this will cause you to either have more or less of certain compounds in your soil and your end result will always differ, because one cannot dictate what must happen during decomposition.

this is the reason no one knows the NPK value of any compost mixture, you can more or less guage it by what you putting in the compost, but simply "giving banana peels to your plants" might be cutting it a little skew and I like a nice straight edge. 

On 6/16/2021 at 7:50 AM, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

Wait. banana leaves or peels?

I am sure you know the banana peel, not the whole thing, just generally speaking any of it first has to decompose before your plant can do anything with any of it, during that process there will be a few beneficial compounds made available to the plant. Depending on the process, with the variables being what does the decomposing work and in what manner (earthworms, microbes and the millions of other decomposers), and the other variable being that not all banana peels contain exactly the same amount of all compounds, this will cause you to either have more or less of certain compounds in your soil and your end result will always differ, because one cannot dictate what must happen during decomposition.

this is the reason no one knows the NPK value of any compost mixture, you can more or less guage it by what you putting in the compost, but simply "giving banana peels to your plants" might be cutting it a little skew and I like a nice straight edge. 

It was more a tongue in cheek comment due to the ridiculous nature of all this pseudoscience bullshit in the weed community. I've never tested ethaline on my plants because rotting Banana's gross me out, but they do help with ripening of other fruits.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, greenkush said:

It was more a tongue in cheek comment due to the ridiculous nature of all this pseudoscience bullshit in the weed community. I've never tested ethaline on my plants because rotting Banana's gross me out, but they do help with ripening of other fruits.

great, that's how I understood it, obviously no offence meant by laughing at the comment if you meant it as a joke hahahah 🤙

yeah I get putting ripe bananas in the same bowl as other fruit may help it to ripen faster, but I don't think the same goes for haning some bananas next to your buds while growing them. 

I used to put banana peels on the soil as suggested by some "gardner guru" as it would release potassium in the soil and help with flowering. (all ornamental plants aswell as fruits, veg) all it gave me was some mold growing on the banana and spreading on the top soil (not healthy looking mold). I then tried banana peels mixed into soil soaked with microbes and cooked it in a slightly breathable black bin in the sun for 2 weeks, top dressed my soil with it and ended up with the same shit mold growing and no noticable change in the plant. then before trying anything else, looked up banana peels in AACT, then came across the information explaining the "breaking down" or decomposing of organic matter and how it will differ in every setting. 

simply put, when adding banana peels to soil it might add some potassium yes, but don't forget about the whole list of other things it also adds and how each of these compounds interact with eachother not to mention creating a favourable condition for living organisms and a breeding ground for ALL bacteria, good and bad. 

If wanting to increase potassium, give potasaium rich plant feed. simple