Preparation for my first Organic Indoor & Outdoor Grow

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been keeping my JGS mix moist but not drenched. Today I bought some perlite and also 20L Coco Compact Potting Soil (CCPS) from Megan at Hydroponic.co.za. I will be mixing it all together. I will be making small individual mixes straight into my pots instead of doing it altogether. The aim is to improve aeration of my JGS mix. Thereafter I will be adding AACT as suggested.

So my question is what is the best ratio to use. I was thinking maybe 1 part JGS, 1 part Perlite, 1 part CCPS.  Any and All opinions welcome!:poke

Coco-Compact-Potting-Soil-10L.thumb.jpg.d24a9242016cdf30dff594bc2ab04a2e.jpg

IMG-20151006-00115.thumb.jpg.2bc68af63a9eb9f27fd30f0a544fbe41.jpg

IMG-20151006-00118.thumb.jpg.72c038e61aed07e9ee726829346d7f60.jpg

IMG-20151006-00119.thumb.jpg.ab2d2f93328963137ab1ddce6f687d82.jpg

IMG-20151006-00120.thumb.jpg.76358afadad853f502b184f75ec4f5b8.jpg

IMG-20151006-00121.thumb.jpg.219d55a0a886ccd839b199e73eff97e5.jpg

#Update on CCPS - Coco Compact Potting Soil Test

I used “The Orphan” who was the late bloomer and turned out to be a lady. Yesterday I transferred her into 15L of Coco Compact Potting Soil to test their claims that I don’t have to feed any nutrients a few months. Hopefully she will settle well into her new home.

I also received an old fridge yesterday that someone wanted to dump. :-bow I've got a good idea to convert it into my new flowering cab. :-clap I will post my design under a new topic soon.

IMG-20151007-00129.thumb.jpg.12dcfdcc23eaef5feac2c5ecc6b7e27e.jpg

I thought I would share the information of the manufacturer of CCPS:

Van Der Knaap Compact Coco Potting Soil is fertilised coco potting soil which comes in compact block bags. When water is added, the contents of the bag expand and are transformed into ready-to-use potting soil. The potting soil contains a carefully selected blend of nutrients which last for several months.

Source: http://www.vanderknaap.eu/en/products-retail/1321608761/Compact-Coco-Potting-Soil

Can't wait to see what you come up with... The fridge might just be perfect for summer if it's in a cool room

I have a very powerful and old chef's extractor fan that was bought at Europair 15 - 20 years ago. It makes quite a bit of noise and is very powerful but it will create good "negative" air inside the cab. Fortunately I already designed and made the Carbon Scrubber and the rest of the material I have. So I'm hoping to have it completed by next week.

That's great! Speaking of noisy fans, I bought a 120mm fan, this thing is so loud I can hear it from the street! :-hairpull So no exhaust fan for now, lol! I'm curious, how many plants do you grow at a time?

Just be carefull with no exhaust... air exchange is just as important as light and water.

Cheers

Reaf

Hey glo

Was wondering if you or someone else could point me in the right direction. I am busy laying out a 12sqm groom. I was wondering what units to get for intake and extraction. I was thinking 2 x10" units for extract and a 4" for intake. I have no idea how much air i should be moving so I'm just guessing. I will be adding Co2 next year. Thanks

Sent from my D5803

That's great! Speaking of noisy fans, I bought a 120mm fan, this thing is so loud I can hear it from the street! :-hairpull So no exhaust fan for now, lol! I'm curious, how many plants do you grow at a time?

Just be carefull with no exhaust... air exchange is just as important as light and water. Cheers Reaf

Hey glo Was wondering if you or someone else could point me in the right direction. I am busy laying out a 12sqm groom. I was wondering what units to get for intake and extraction. I was thinking 2 x10" units for extract and a 4" for intake. I have no idea how much air i should be moving so I'm just guessing. I will be adding Co2 next year. Thanks ✌ Sent from my D5803

Hi Felix, i have used this post as reference for my calculations.

I have set up a spreadsheet to help with the calculation.

:-peace

I would still suggest that you get an exhaust fan even if its pc fans. Otherwise you will get hotspots in your grow area. Heat stress to your plants...

I started out with 12 unknown bag seeds never expecting all to germinate, which they did. From there I was expecting at least half would be hermi or males. One again I was wrong and only 2 turned out to be Hermies. So now I'm sitting with 10 ladies. All started as a Hydroponic Coco/Perlite grow. 5 Ladies are now in the Autopot which is way too much by the way,  I'm going to have to transplant it eventually but I will keep it Hydro. Then I have another 3 in a very deep pot which is now in an amended JGS mix. One I gave to a close friend of mine who put it in his garden, this one is also in an amended JGS mix. The last one is the "Orphan" which is resident of Coco Compact Potting Soil. I must still take clones to practice cloning techniques. The whole point was to learn, learn and learn some more. It's basically and educational grow.

Shot for always being so helpful Sir Smokalot! I actually had a brain fart at 2am this morning. I'm going to get 2 x Deepcool 120mm ultra silent fans and use that as an extractor through carbon filter. The sucky part is that they are 12v fans, but I'll make it work. They rated 66 CFM and have a sound sig of 20db max. Low rpm as well. R160 a pop, which is cool!

I'll draw my idea and post it sometime soon

Shot for always being so helpful Sir Smokalot! I actually had a brain fart at 2am this morning. I'm going to get 2 x Deepcool 120mm ultra silent fans and use that as an extractor through carbon filter. The sucky part is that they are 12v fans, but I'll make it work. They rated 66 CFM and have a sound sig of 20db max. Low rpm as well. R160 a pop, which is cool!

I'll draw my idea and post it sometime soon

You're most welcome CK! Check out this link for a calculator:

http://www.hydroponics.eu/calculating-size-capacity-air-exchange-of-your-extractor-fan_575.html

Its the same calculator that I'm using now for my new fridge cab!

For my cab size, 60 cfm will remove the air 4 times a minute, Reaf worked it out for me a while ago, but if it's gonna be sucking air through the scrubber and additional ducting, more sucking power can't be a bad thing right? My current fan is 87 CFM, but that thing belongs in a vacuum, lol. It literally sucked my panda wrap lining into the exhaust hole within seconds.

For my cab size, 60 cfm will remove the air 4 times a minute, Reaf worked it out for me a while ago, but if it's gonna be sucking air through the scrubber and additional ducting, more sucking power can't be a bad thing right? My current fan is 87 CFM, but that thing belongs in a vacuum, lol. It literally sucked my panda wrap lining into the exhaust hole within seconds.

IMO You cannot have a fan that is too strong only too noisy!:-hilarious Considering that your exhaust velocity will decrease dramatically if a scrubber is used and also the length and turns in your ducting would also be a factor. The fans specs will be maximum with the assumption that the air will flow directly in and out without obstruction.

My Elicent fan that I want to use for the fridge can change air 70 times per minute. So that's more than enough to cater for my large carbon scrubber and the bends for my passive intake and exhaust.

IMO You cannot have a fan that is too strong only too noisy!:-hilarious Considering that your exhaust velocity will decrease dramatically if a scrubber is used and also the length and turns in your ducting would also be a factor. The fans specs will be maximum with the assumption that the air will flow directly in and out without obstruction.

My Elicent fan that I want to use for the fridge can change air 70 times per minute. So that's more than enough to cater for my large carbon scrubber and the bends for my passive intake and exhaust.

Shit son! and here I thought my fan was strong! :-hilariousClearly I have no clue! Ok, so my scrubber will be coffee tin, bottom removed and ducting going in on either side, there'll be a hole in the middle of the tin, that'll be my intake. the other ends of the ducting will go to the fans. If you can picture it, you'll understand it, lol! If you understand it, you'll know it'll work :D

Shit son! and here I thought my fan was strong! :-hilariousClearly I have no clue! Ok, so my scrubber will be coffee tin, bottom removed and ducting going in on either side, there'll be a hole in the middle of the tin, that'll be my intake. the other ends of the ducting will go to the fans. If you can picture it, you'll understand it, lol! If you understand it, you'll know it'll work :D

I've seen so many different DIY scrubbers online. I can picture it CK! How much carbon (kg's) do you think it holds?

Shit son! and here I thought my fan was strong! :-hilariousClearly I have no clue! Ok, so my scrubber will be coffee tin, bottom removed and ducting going in on either side, there'll be a hole in the middle of the tin, that'll be my intake. the other ends of the ducting will go to the fans. If you can picture it, you'll understand it, lol! If you understand it, you'll know it'll work :D

I've seen so many different DIY scrubbers online. I can picture it CK! How much carbon (kg's) do you think it holds?

Mine's gonna be tiny SS, probably about a KG, plus the ducting should slow the extraction down so it leaves enough time for the carbon to do it's job. More or less when does the plant start to smell? Mostly in flower?

Shot for the heads up Skolley, I'll be doing the drying in the cabinet as well, so my carbon should work then :) I'm excited already and I didn't even drop the NL bean yet. Trying my hand at bagseed first.

Starting with bagseed is the best a newbie can do. I'm glad I did it that way. I learned so much in such a short space of time and still learning everyday! I have 2 autoflowering seeds that Ive had for a few months. I now feel that I'm ready to take a chance with seeds that I bought. :poke