Advice Wanted On New Tent

Q9550

Howsit Fine Growers,

I'm looking to get a new tent to replace my current Mammoth Prop90 (900 x 600 x 600), its super small and I use it to veg out my plants before flowering outside.

Due to the limited height in the tent heat is becoming a real pain this summer and I am getting a lot of leaf burn and heat stress as the lights are close to the canopy.

I don't have much space for a box tent so I need to get something like these:

1st Choice:  Secret Jardin 120cm x 60cm x 178cm    https://tinyurl.com/y5m9mzbh     R2799.00

2nd Choice: Magic Garden 120cm x 70cm x 165cm  https://tinyurl.com/y3fgbf66          R1949.00

Anyone have any experience with either brands and is the Secret Jardin worth the extra money?

Any thoughts, opinions or comments welcome, as well as alternative suggestions for the above tents.

My only criteria is that it needs to be a wide tent rather than a square tent as the space I have will not accommodate a box tent.

Thanks All

Happy Growing!!!

Edited by Q9550

Magic Garden tents from GT Hydro are not good. Have had a few friends who purchased those tents, the zips do not last and light leaks all over the material... including the zip.

I have used Secret Jardin tents before, they are decent. I had that exact same Secret Jardin tent and it's good quality and comes with some extras such as a scrog net and you can choose where to position your fans for exhaust and they provide a passive air intake filter which you can choose the location of as well.

Also the piece for the electrical cables, you also get to choose where on the tent it goes - they basically supply some nice fitment accessories and a device for you to easily cut out the perfect sized hole for the attachments. Very nice and clever system - works very well. You get a patch it as well, if you ever want to close up one of the holes and these accessories can be purchased separately.

Stock is currently an issue in SA, I want to get a Bud Box tent but no stock yet. Mammoth is good too.

I have heard decent things about the Mars Hydro tents as well.

So depending on what you are able to find and pricing, go with the cheapest perhaps. Although I would not recommend the Magic Garden tent due to the quality - if it were to be used for drying your bud then it should be fine although I'd personally prefer to get a different tent for growing.

My 2c

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Q9550 said:

1st Choice:  Secret Jardin 120cm x 60cm x 178cm    https://tinyurl.com/y5m9mzbh     R2799.00

2nd Choice: Magic Garden 120cm x 70cm x 165cm  https://tinyurl.com/y3fgbf66          R1949.00

Out of these choices I would go with Secret Jardin for the better material and zipper quality. It will definitely last longer than the Magic Garden tent.

Although I am saying this as an owner of two Magic Garden tents 🤣 but their condition is slowly fading and one day the zippers will definitely fail. I am already looking into replacing them after two years. 

But as @PsyCLown says, there's a real shortage in the country at the moment for the mid-high end brands. So if you can grab a Secret Jardin while they are still available then lekker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Magic Garden tents from GT Hydro are not good. Have had a few friends who purchased those tents, the zips do not last and light leaks all over the material... including the zip.

I have used Secret Jardin tents before, they are decent. I had that exact same Secret Jardin tent and it's good quality and comes with some extras such as a scrog net and you can choose where to position your fans for exhaust and they provide a passive air intake filter which you can choose the location of as well.

Also the piece for the electrical cables, you also get to choose where on the tent it goes - they basically supply some nice fitment accessories and a device for you to easily cut out the perfect sized hole for the attachments. Very nice and clever system - works very well. You get a patch it as well, if you ever want to close up one of the holes and these accessories can be purchased separately.

Stock is currently an issue in SA, I want to get a Bud Box tent but no stock yet. Mammoth is good too.

I have heard decent things about the Mars Hydro tents as well.

So depending on what you are able to find and pricing, go with the cheapest perhaps. Although I would not recommend the Magic Garden tent due to the quality - if it were to be used for drying your bud then it should be fine although I'd personally prefer to get a different tent for growing.

My 2c

@PsyCLown Thanks for this man, really appreciate the detailed feedback. The tent will be used for growing and not drying so will prefer the Secret Jardin

2 hours ago, Ill_Evan said:

Out of these choices I would go with Secret Jardin for the better material and zipper quality. It will definitely last longer than the Magic Garden tent.

Although I am saying this as an owner of two Magic Garden tents 🤣 but their condition is slowly fading and one day the zippers will definitely fail. I am already looking into replacing them after two years. 

But as @PsyCLown says, there's a real shortage in the country at the moment for the mid-high end brands. So if you can grab a Secret Jardin while they are still available then lekker. 

@Ill_Evan Thanks for the response, I think I will probably go with the Secret Jardin tent now, it was my 1st preference but just wanted to see the views on the MG tent as it was a bit cheaper.

@PsyCLown not in too much of a hurry. Thanks for looking around, that Mars tent does look good hey... I would say now its between this Mars Hydro vs the Secret Jardin. 

Magic Garden is out the picture for reason you all mentioned. 

Do you think the secret jardin is worth the extra R300 seeing as it comes with the added accessories and scrog net?

I'm really in no rush and even considering to wait around for some black Friday specials... if any lol

9 minutes ago, Q9550 said:

Do you think the secret jardin is worth the extra R300 seeing as it comes with the added accessories and scrog net?

Well, the accessories are necessary as you need to make your own ducting holes in the Secret Jardin which gives you a very versatile means of sorting out your ventilation placement. The included net is also perfectly sized for the tent. I would say it is worth the extra R300 if the above is something that will benefit you. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As @Ill_Evan said, the accessories are needed - it's really just the scrog net which is extra which you may not use.

The Mars Hydro tent will have fixed positions for the extraction & cables.

If you will actually use the scrog net, it's worth the extra money. If you are in a hurry, it's worth it then.

However since you can wait around for Black Friday, may not be a bad idea to wait and see if any special deals pop up.

• Like 1

I think it is so cool that they let you pick where your in/outlet ports etc go. And they don't just give you the plastic fittings/socks and expect you to hack up the tent with a Stanley knife, they give you a proper tool to cut the hole. Then if you decide later that you made the dam hole in the wrong place, they offer patches.

Don't know why this hasn't caught on with other tent manufacturers. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

I think it is so cool that they let you pick where your in/outlet ports etc go. And they don't just give you the plastic fittings/socks and expect you to hack up the tent with a Stanley knife, they give you a proper tool to cut the hole. Then if you decide later that you made the dam hole in the wrong place, they offer patches.

Don't know why this hasn't caught on with other tent manufacturers. 

As soon as you need more than two ducts it can be a little costly or even difficult at times to find the Secret Jardin accessories or the correct duct size you are looking for. If one were to opt for more than two ducts I'd probably then rather suggest an alternative. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ill_Evan said:

As soon as you need more than two ducts it can be a little costly or even difficult at times to find the Secret Jardin accessories or the correct duct size you are looking for. If one were to opt for more than two ducts I'd probably then rather suggest an alternative. 

I understand, makes the parts very specialized depending on size etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bakstein420 said:

I understand, makes the parts very specialized depending on size etc.

Very specialized, and very cool. That light baffle accessory is awesome; air passes through but light cannot. Usually I have a piece of ducting at an angle through my passive intake but a light baffle would save space and look way fresher. 

• Like 3

@PsyCLown @Ill_Evan @Bakstein420 

Thank you all for taking the time out to share some guidance, I really appreciate the advice and you all have been a really big help!!!

So for now I think I will settle on the Mars Hydro tent, hopefully come black Friday it will be on special lol.

Cant wait to upgrade so I can start flowering in the tent lol

Some of the plants I have on the go now in the mini tent:

1.) Top Left = Totemic Bubba Kush

2.) Builders Bucket = Totemic Triple Chocolate

3.) Bottom Left = Bubba Kush Clone + Northern Lights Clone

4.) Fabric Pots = 2 x  Unknow Auto's

20201028_080859.thumb.jpg.0cb80902a8a5ed978753d381fe8c508d.jpg

Currently Flowering Outdoors:

1.) Totemic Blueberry Glue

2.) Divine Seeds Auto Kabul

3.) Divine Seeds Northern Lights

• Like 2