Keeping the babies warm in Winter

Popcoen

Hi All, 

I wanted to know if anyone may have another way to heat a grow tent instead of using a heater as its killing me on Electricity? 

I am currently using a 1000watt fan heater which runs pretty much the whole day and evening to keep the temps correct...

I have 2x 300 watt led lights which give off almost 0 heat so thats not making the heating any easier...

I was contemplating on using a heat lamp instead if anyone has a way around using this it would be a huge help 

Cheers!! 

Those Sonoff switches are awesome. I'll be setting something similar up in my tent as well. Currently just been using it as a overpowered temp/humidity monitor 😅

The extent of insulation where your tent is situated can also be a factor. If a lot of your heat is escaping then an automated solution might end up running 100% anyways. 

I used to just hang my ducting out an open window but too much heat was escaping my grow room so I built a plywood fitting that went into the gap in the window with a duct flange for my exhaust. Enough heat remains within the room now that I don't need a heater at all at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Ill_Evan I know one of the issues is that my inline ducting is getting air from outside, unfortunately its the only option i have right now as my tent is currently in my shed. 

I have dialed my extractor fan to a minimum aswell to try and conserve heat, i just hope my electricity bill wont be outrageously crazy... 8-)

• Like 1

Shjo! Conundrum. I suppose one could swap out the LED's with HID bulbs and birdwings so that you're getting your heat and your light from one source then swap back to your LED's in Summer. 

I only suggest this as it is what I am doing 😄 not an inexpensive solution but first thing to come to mind..

• Like 1

What are your Temps like? 

I would only switch a heater on if the Temps are dipping below 15... 

And your extraction is proper killing your heating attempts lol. 

I would maybe try only running the night as the days aren't that bad yet. 

Also you could try reducing the intake of air a bit to try keep the inside air warmer. 

Your tent should heat up quick enough if the cold outside air wasn't coming in faster than you can heat it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@CreX Temps are great if i have the heater tunning, its got a thermostat so turns off at around 28 Degrees C and on at around 20 degrees C, My extraction fan is on the lowest and has created almost no negative pressure which is cool for now as i dont want that heat leaving :(

So currently i have my LEDs on a 18/6 cycle, and i have the 6 hours off during the day when its a tad warmer. 

Should i maybe put my extaction fan on a timer? Perhaps that could help?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Popcoen said:

@CreX Temps are great if i have the heater tunning, its got a thermostat so turns off at around 28 Degrees C and on at around 20 degrees C, My extraction fan is on the lowest and has created almost no negative pressure which is cool for now as i dont want that heat leaving 😞

So currently i have my LEDs on a 18/6 cycle, and i have the 6 hours off during the day when its a tad warmer. 

Should i maybe put my extaction fan on a timer? Perhaps that could help?

I would change your parameters. 

Extraction on a timer would work... But it would need to be some timer, as intake is crucial and cannot be stopped for long periods... Something like 5min on 5min off might help out. 

But I would adjust your temp parameters a bit. 

Make the heater only kick on at 15, and it can turn off at 26 

28 is quite a challenge for a little heater to reach in these cold times 

• Thanks 1

@CreX @Ill_Evan So i have LEDs that have a veg and bloom switch maybe running them both? With the 18/6 cycle (I have autos in my tent atm).

Wow okay thank you! I wasnt sure if anything under 20 degrees would be good... But ill sit and adjust that!

Unfortunately my timer is the analog timer so its only in 15 min intervals and i know thats a bit too long with no air moving around.

Thanks for the advice tho! I think having it go till about 15 would help me a heap load! :-rastapuff

• Agree 1

Hi@Popcoen, as advised the panel heaters is way more efficient than the element heaters, I put my panel heater just behind my oscillating and the cold intake air behind the heater, I think it helps to move the warm air around better before the warm air gets sucked out

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiteloop said:

@SkunkPharm How big is your grow area? 
I’ve been thinking about these Panel heater aswell.

What was your temp range before you added the heater? Curious to know how much it raised the temperature. 

My panel heater is set to go on at 18degrees and switch off at 20 degrees. So night time temps are between those. Day time it goes up to 25 to 27 degrees. I regilate tat with the extractor fan.

• Like 1