Diy Try

Meepmeepza

Hi hi everyone....

I am meepmeepza, 

I would like to start a diy grow project....

Grow enough so that i dont have to fork out R25 for crap.

Any and all help and criticism is welcome...

even beter send me the link and I will go read 😛

Budget currently:  R3000 - R25 

maybe  R2925 grand by weekend.. willing to program, solder and more...

Copy someones grow setup if i have to....

Dream would be to have a big grow tent with proper lights and ebb flow system...

But lets starts somewhere 

enjoy...

Well, I assume you have no grow equipment.

How much do you smoke on average per month (grams)?

May be a good idea to start with an outdoor grow, although time is running out so best to get some seeds and plant them!

Are you able to grow outside? Do you have a garden with no lights shining at night and where there aren't any nosy people who may interfere?

I am thinking start outdoors, the money you save as you no longer have to buy bud (once you have harvested, obviously) you can then put towards some indoor grow equipment.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Meepmeepza said:

Sorry sounded bit rude... kids was opening taps.... 😊

LOL kids... Damn rascals!! 

Im not clear on your budget... Is it 3k to 25k?coz then we can set you up like a champ!! But if it's sub 3k... Then let's work on the basics and take it from there. 

You need to decide how you are going to grow... Hydro, coco, soil

You need a grow space, tent, cupboard, DIY grow space... 

You will need lights. LED, HID, Flourecent 

Lets start there and hear your feedback👌

if i had 25 k i would be happy but its sub 3k... 😛

- I have looked at my nurserys and they only have that coco blocks (5kg) R78 to R90. then potting soil and coco pleat i think.

- I have a space hidden its not completly enclosed. three sides brick with seeling...

- thought of growing CFL lights???

I would say soil is easier for a first grow. That hidden space with walls will definitely work. Put a door or curtain or something to make it light proof.

CFLs gonna give you poor results.

The cheapest decent grow light will probably be a 400W HPS. If you go that route I'll sponsor you a Phillips 400W MH Veg Lamp. If you in durbs, I'll give you clones as well. Maybe someone here knows off an LED for around the same price.

Basic essentials

Grow light +-500???

Small Extractor Fan +-1000

Timer 200

Multiplug 120

Desk fan 200

Nutrients + Ph drops + Ph down 800

Pots and grow medium 300

Reservoir(bucket, etc) 50

Seeds 500 the most important investment.

Well that's your budget gone... 

Guys have I missed any of the basics required?

Just know we all started small with small budgets. With time comes upgrades. And you could always get growing accessories for bday gifts from the wife etc.

One things for sure, once you start growing, even when you go to the local checkers you will automatically take a walk past the garden section.

• Like 1

OK, so you have a grow area - you may need to block out the light coming in from outside depending on how much light there is at night.

You will still need the following:

PH pen

Extraction

Grow lights

Seeds

Medium

Nutrients

Pots

You do need to decide on your medium - as CreX said, Coco, Soil or Hydro?

Hydro will require air pumps

Coco & perlite is best with regular watering

Soil can be a bit expensive for the good soils - such as the Freedom Farms and Organic Matters, normally R160 ro R180 for 30L of soil.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mambawana said:

I would say soil is easier for a first grow. That hidden space with walls will definitely work. Put a door or curtain or something to make it light proof.

CFLs gonna give you poor results.

The cheapest decent grow light will probably be a 400W HPS. If you go that route I'll sponsor you a Phillips 400W MH Veg Lamp. If you in durbs, I'll give you clones as well. Maybe someone here knows off an LED for around the same price.

Basic essentials

Grow light +-500???

Small Extractor Fan +-1000

Timer 200

Multiplug 120

Desk fan 200

Nutrients + Ph drops + Ph down 800

Pots and grow medium 300

Reservoir(bucket, etc) 50

Seeds 500 the most important investment.

Well that's your budget gone... 

Guys have I missed any of the basics required?

Just know we all started small with small budgets. With time comes upgrades. And you could always get growing accessories for bday gifts from the wife etc.

One things for sure, once you start growing, even when you go to the local checkers you will automatically take a walk past the garden section.

You forgot a PH pen, although I feel he can get PH up / down and nutes for way less.

For extraction, could even get creative and use 12v PC fans and power it with a 12v wall wart laying around the house.

Although R500 for a grow light sounds too cheap.

1 minute ago, PsyCLown said:

You forgot a PH pen, although I feel he can get PH up / down and nutes for way less.

For extraction, could even get creative and use 12v PC fans and power it with a 12v wall wart laying around the house.

Although R500 for a grow light sounds too cheap.

Ph pen is either a quality expensive one or drops. Even the bluelab and Hannah's bomb out. I'm saving for a bluelab guardian. Till then I'll use drops.

Yeah the fan thing can work but the space looks a bit big for that. 

R500 is for the 400 hps. Magnetic ballast,  Z400M igniter, 60uF Capacitor, Lamp holder, acdc hps lamp and diy reflector.

9 minutes ago, Meepmeepza said:

wow thanks, guys... I will come back when I finished closing of and source prices. Should i close it off for heat or just light.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Both preferably.

Nutrients, look at getting some Hortimix from Hydroponic as well as PH up and PH down.

11 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Ph pen is either a quality expensive one or drops. Even the bluelab and Hannah's bomb out. I'm saving for a bluelab guardian. Till then I'll use drops.

Yeah the fan thing can work but the space looks a bit big for that. 

R500 is for the 400 hps. Magnetic ballast,  Z400M igniter, 60uF Capacitor, Lamp holder, acdc hps lamp and diy reflector.

Well, one does not expect it to last forever really.

I have a HM Digital PH meter and I love it! Not cheap like the Chinese one but not a couple of thousand like some others.

As for the fans, you'll be surprised, I hooked up a 120mm PC fan into my 80 x 80 x 160 tent and it creates a negative pressure quickly, even if I leave one of thecable sockets open to allow airflow in. Have a few of those in there and it will work - at least until he can afford something better.

I also have a single 120mm fan in my veg area which is far larger and it suffices. Although I do leave the door open for a bit when I get home but it works for sure.

On a tight budget, I think it is the better option. Rather spend money on the more important things - such as lighting and a PH pen.

The 400W HID setup from CreX sounds like a good idea, you are unlikely to get an decent LED light within the same price range - can always consider upgrading later on when you have some extra funds.

Edited by PsyCLown