Indoor Run & Temp

Za Weed Lover

Good day Growmies 

So I am a week into my second grow. Finally !!!!!!! 

My first grow was good but with Eskom , i had run into some problems. I grew bag seeds and closer to harvest, some heirmied and pollinated the whole tent. 

I struggled quite a bit, but trying again

2  x 400w HPS. With a tiny extractor fan from builders.  

My grow area is 3m x 3m x 2,8 . I have about 9 plants at different stages of growth, there will be 3 that will stay and the rest is going outside, soon as they big enough. 

What I need help with is, high temps and what are the dangers. The 3 staying are autos and they rest going into my outdoor grow. 

Temps are getting to a high of 34 - 38 during the day, while lights are on. Then when lights go out at 10 am tiill 5 pm, the temp is 28-31 . At night its keep at a cool 28 to 32 with llights on. 

I do put iced bottles out during mid morning and opening the door as soon as i am up, from 6am. 

I am trying to find a way to put the ballasts outside but the rain is the problem. My grow room is an outdoor shed. They generating so much heat, is there a way to keep them in the shed but cover them some how?

I am buying a inline fan, in a few days. (550 Cfm)

Will an inline fan help with keeping temps down and do I need to feed fresh air from outside? I can not afford an aircon and will not be buying one. Think i am at my limits with the misses . 

I want to grow, dank stuff and try have my room more automated. So any advice will be appreciated,i am growing organically .  

10 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

Good day Growmies 

So I am a week into my second grow. Finally !!!!!!! 

My first grow was good but with Eskom , i had run into some problems. I grew bag seeds and closer to harvest, some heirmied and pollinated the whole tent. 

I struggled quite a bit, but trying again

2  x 400w HPS. With a tiny extractor fan from builders.  

My grow area is 3m x 3m x 2,8 . I have about 9 plants at different stages of growth, there will be 3 that will stay and the rest is going outside, soon as they big enough. 

What I need help with is, high temps and what are the dangers. The 3 staying are autos and they rest going into my outdoor grow. 

Temps are getting to a high of 34 - 38 during the day, while lights are on. Then when lights go out at 10 am tiill 5 pm, the temp is 28-31 . At night its keep at a cool 28 to 32 with llights on. 

I do put iced bottles out during mid morning and opening the door as soon as i am up, from 6am. 

I am trying to find a way to put the ballasts outside but the rain is the problem. My grow room is an outdoor shed. They generating so much heat, is there a way to keep them in the shed but cover them some how?

I am buying a inline fan, in a few days. (550 Cfm)

Will an inline fan help with keeping temps down and do I need to feed fresh air from outside? I can not afford an aircon and will not be buying one. Think i am at my limits with the misses . 

I want to grow, dank stuff and try have my room more automated. So any advice will be appreciated,i am growing organically .  

Hi and welcome. Yeah those temps are too high. It will cause too many issues to mention. At minimum you need an extractor fan with a static intake from the side of the shed that gets the least direct sunlight. If the sheds roof overhangs the side a bit I would put the ballast there in an enclosure with the lid off or alternatively it should be in front of the extractor so that it's heat is directly extracted. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Za Weed Lover said:

I would like to add to my post

What is the potential of the space I have?. With the light I have, whats their potential. How many plant can I put under them. 

Honestly bud... you don't have enough light for that space. At a most I would say both your lights would provide a footprint of about 1200mm x 600mm.

You could probably pull 400grams.

1 hour ago, Mambawana said:

Honestly bud... you don't have enough light for that space. At a most I would say both your lights would provide a footprint of about 1200mm x 600mm.

You could probably pull 400grams.

Thanks, will try see if I cant cover and hang outside. There is a bit of over hang. 

I am not trying to fill the whole place up. I want to be consistently growing , its a personal grow . Would be too much flower for me. Dont want to grow that much anyway.

400g per light or combined? 

19 hours ago, Za Weed Lover said:

Thanks, will try see if I cant cover and hang outside. There is a bit of over hang. 

I am not trying to fill the whole place up. I want to be consistently growing , its a personal grow . Would be too much flower for me. Dont want to grow that much anyway.

400g per light or combined? 

Well it's perfect that you don't want to try fill that space. Atleast you can have space for a cupboard or something that you can store your nutes and general growing related items. And space to move around and work on your plants. 400grams combined yield would be a good yield out of those lights. I know a lot of guys are using LEDs, maybe they can point you in the right direction So you can slowly upgrade in the future. You will win on the heat issue, on consumption or yield more with the same power draw.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

At what times do you run your lights. 

If you are really looking into something that will help with temps there is ways. 

Like, getting an aircon for that room, or, create a passive airflow, or get an inline filter...... All that will cost you money. The ballast does give off a lot off heat and I had that same issue. But luckily I could mount it against a wall. Why not move it under the shed. Build a space for it in a way that there is natural airflow...... 

But I have another way. I have tried it last run and I'm doing it again. I use the Gas Lantern cycle or the 12-1 cycle. That way I could run my lights when it is night time and when I left for work the lights went out. They are on from 19:00 - 07:00. During the day the are off for 5.5 hours and then on for an hour and then off again for 5. 5 hours. 

Go and Google it and read up on it. It saves you money (electricity) and it saves young grow gear wear and tear by not running as long... 

images (2).jpeg

• Like 3

With those temps, I think an aircon would probably be your best bet.

In terms of yield, I run LED Quantum Boards with Samsung diodes (LM301B's) and in my small 1.2 x 0.6 tent (0.72sqm) I managed what I feel is a decent yield.

I still need to weight my Chocolope once dry, although I am expecting around 350 - 380g dry in total from my harvest. I have 4x Quantum Boards which I feel is overkill and I ran them at a max of 360W, combined they are capable of 480W with the driver I have. If you were to look at efficiency (power) and the yield from space I think it's pretty good.

28C is the max I want my grow tent to be, hotter than that and I get worried and it will negatively affect your bud as the terps will start to degrade.

Unless you acn pull in much cooler air, an aircon is probably your next best thing - a portable one will work if you can't or do not want to install a permanent mid-wall unit.

A 12 000 BTU portable aircon is around R5 - R6k brand new, 2nd hand you can get some good deals. Remember that a portable aircon requires extraction and can also act as extraction - it has a pipe which blows out hot air and this will need to be blown outside directly, the fewer bends and the shorter the run, the more effective and efficient the portable aircon will be.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, Smelly Joe said:

At what times do you run your lights. 

If you are really looking into something that will help with temps there is ways. 

Like, getting an aircon for that room, or, create a passive airflow, or get an inline filter...... All that will cost you money. The ballast does give off a lot off heat and I had that same issue. But luckily I could mount it against a wall. Why not move it under the shed. Build a space for it in a way that there is natural airflow...... 

But I have another way. I have tried it last run and I'm doing it again. I use the Gas Lantern cycle or the 12-1 cycle. That way I could run my lights when it is night time and when I left for work the lights went out. They are on from 19:00 - 07:00. During the day the are off for 5.5 hours and then on for an hour and then off again for 5. 5 hours. 

Go and Google it and read up on it. It saves you money (electricity) and it saves young grow gear wear and tear by not running as long... 

images (2).jpeg

I've heard of this method of growing before but I fail to understand how it achieves a "25 - 35% increase in production" with 5 hours less light (and therefore photosynthesis) per day (in veg)???