To harvest or wait?

MrB

Hi all, so I'm a little confused as a first time grower. I think it's time to harvest my sativa's... 

IMG_20191005_181245_crop_33.thumb.jpg.3c8b16ea3f5cba85c6c84b013a2314e7.jpg

The buds are small, but I'm enjoying the learning experience so far. I've read it's best to harvest when the pistils darken or when the trichomes are milky, and for the relaxing couchlock effect, to wait a little longer till a few trichomes turn amber. 

In my plants case, they are 10 weeks into flowering, all the pistils have browned and the trichomes are milky, but none are amber yet. 

Question is, do I harvest based on the browned pistils or do I wait till I see some amber trichomes? 

To be honest I'm not expecting amazing results, but will use the experience gained to produce better results next time. 

Still I can't wait to try the results...

Edited by MrB

18 hours ago, MrB said:

To be honest I'm not expecting amazing results, but will use the experience gained to produce better results next time. 

I'm also impatiently waiting for mine to be ready. From what I've seen people seem to mostly say wait for the amber trichomes before starting the flush.

I'm planning to listen to these two podcasts that may have more info

And there are quite a few vids on youtube that are not too bad

• 3 weeks later...

@MrB what did you end up doing?

I like to use the pistil colour and calyx size as a guideline and then when I feel it is starting to near harvest time I start to check the trichomes and I harvest according to trichome colours - check trichomes on various colas at different points on he bud  (not just the top, or just the bottom).

• 1 month later...

So I landed up with an aphid invasion, when I was hoping for another 2 - 3 weeks and more amber trichomes. Decided to harvest before the aphid population exploded. All dried now, and curing. Made 2 joints from the sugar leaves and small buds so far... super smooth and herby, but unfortunately not that potent. Going to start with grow no.2 shortly, but got to get a grow tent and more potent lights first. 

B

Edited by MrB

5 hours ago, MrB said:

So I landed up with an aphid invasion, when I was hoping for another 2 - 3 weeks and more amber trichomes. Decided to harvest before the aphid population exploded. All dried now, and curing. Made 2 joints from the sugar leaves and small buds so far... super smooth and herby, but unfortunately not that potent. Going to start with grow no.2 shortly, but got to get a grow tent and more potent lights first. 

B

Don't be sad, the sugar leaves and larfies aren't very potent without a cure. Jar them and wait atleast 2 weeks... you might be surprised...

Next round go for strains that finish early... 7-8weeks. You have some experience under your belt so it's only going to get easier.

• Like 1