TOBY'S GROW CABINET BUILD

Toby

My Cabinet 1200X600X450mm

I thought Ill share my experience in building a grow cabinet and a veg box. The experience was very insightful and I have learned a lot during this process. “Semper Incedendo”

I firstly evaluated my needs and circumstances. I am a baker so I make cannabutter and oil on a regular basis and I do love the medicated effect of edibles. – Sometimes hits you like a mofo.

The wife and I are the only ones who consume so the quanity required is not much. I normally buy but was getting gatvol of the poor level of service and limited options.

I won’t be consuming till about October 2015 as the Mrs and I are trying for a little one at the moment. So I have decided to grow in that time. – A break is good. I have been consuming for years on end. Time to flush my system. IMHO.

Enough background, back to the topic at hand.

After doing much research using chip board or super wood would not be an ideal material to use for the moisture factor.

I found and old cabinet (solid wood) on Gumtree for R200, that would fit perfectly in my home studio.

KVHtTd.jpg0INDVZ.jpg1vg1F8.jpg

I striped it down and layered the inside with 6mm marine ply. I then inserted an inner frame of pine wood to prevent light leaks and provide more stability. It also adds as shelving. The top section will house all electrical components.

3Dngw8.jpgdOCc2b.jpg

I have attached some caster wheels for mobility and a lock for security.

sTbwJP.jpg

I have decided to add a fake floor that’s resting on the pine wood frame, it would assist in my ventilation and any light leaks.

v8ouVI.jpgDTU0VR.jpgY6V94E.jpg

I have added a passive intake system based on my extraction fan’s capacity. I used anti-fungal sealant to seal up the inside and of the cab.

WE3ryK.jpg

The intake is double the area of the exhaust. I used fine mesh and industrial air filters to prevent unwanted creatures entering my cab.

4H5Adc.jpg

My original plan was to use 220v metal axial pc fans. 1 X 12cm & 2 X 8cm fans. Very quiet and can handle continuous use. I cut a piece of plywood to size and did my measurements.

gMZLgy.jpg

So far so good. While all of this was happening I ordered via Amazon a 240w multi spectrum LED light. I connected all the fans, made sure the cab is sufficiently sealed and let it run for a week 24hrs, monitoring different times of the day and night. Recording the values I get, RH & temp. All this in December. It was your normal summer temps. I was getting my temps right but was struggling with RH. As a result more research. I modified my ventilation system so I can control the RH and temp. I decided to replace the 2 X 8cm fans with 2 x 12cm fans. I also attached a switch so I can control the individual fans depending on external environmental conditions. Worked like a bomb. Can raise the or lower the RH without significantly adjusting the temps. Fortunately for me I work at wood furniture company and they have a spray paint division. They gave me industrial filters for odour control. I mounted on the inside of the cab under the fans. I sprayed some aerosol deo inside the cab and no odour was escaping. Due to space limitations I have dissembled a 10cm oscillating fan and mounted it on my door. The birth of my “super-cab” :-gthumb

1UgNGu.jpgRWO1DS.jpgXGGj14.jpg

I used wallpaper adhesive to apply a heavy micron reflective film and applied it to inside of the cab. I used aluminium tape to seal off the film.

I have a little experiment plant that I grow outside. I am finishing it off in the cab.

I have redone my kitchen in the past, so I had some for that wood boxes still available so I decided, let’s use whatever I have available and build a little veg box. I am a lazy bugger when it comes to manual stuff, so when I am in this building mood, I go all out.

I used the 2 X 8cm fans as ventilation for the box (600X600X400mm). CFLs would be the best bet for my needs. Got 4 X 25w (125W) total (500w equivalent) producing 6000 lumens which perfect for the little box. It’s a mixed spectrum 2 X 6500K and 2 X 4100K. Got a cheap tubberware container about the size of the box, which will serve as a light fixture for the box. I line the container and the box with reflective film.

ddItMN.jpgNHYQyi.jpggwS5Yn.jpg

I improvised with the light suspension system by using electrical insulation blocks to adjust height.

myl3wQ.jpg

This little box fits perfectly under my desk in my studio. Very quiet and discreet.

7QHFP4.jpg

I have a little tray with a damp cloth in it parking in the back to help raise humidity. Temps are optimal.

Months’ worth of research and this is my end result. The learning curve is ongoing.

I will be doing a DWC grow when my other plant has been completed. I have decided to run lights on at night and off during the day as to minimise the temps difference between the on and off cycles. My cab is small so less internodal growth the better. My intention is do 2 plants scrog.

All input will be highly appreciated as I am 85% ready to go.  :-peace

Cool man, thanks guys. I will post any developments.

I am planning do to 2 plants DWC SCROG.

If all goes according to plan, I shall start that grow end Jan beginning Feb.

My intention is to hook up a webcam for remote viewing and I would like to do a timelape video for the entire grow. All live on 420SA  :rastabanana

Hey bud.  I've also thought about it.  Just be careful.  With the Advancement of tech these days.  Who knows who will be watching, or even trace your ip.  Maybe just record it and post a video. 

I think I'll try that out.  But  an ip cam is  a bit  of  a weak link in the armor

Hey bud.  I've also thought about it.  Just be careful.  With the Advancement of tech these days.  Who knows who will be watching, or even trace your ip.  Maybe just record it and post a video. 

I think I'll try that out.  But  an ip cam is  a bit  of  a weak link in the armor

Thanks for the input. I am currently running a private ip for my torrent downloads. Ill investigate what my best option would be for this situation. Worst case scenario Ill record and post as suggested.  :thumbups

Thanks for the input. I am currently running a private ip for my torrent downloads. Ill investigate what my best option would be for this situation. Worst case scenario Ill record and post as suggested.  :thumbups

A good VPN should do the trick, like hide my ass :-2cents

Guest kimcarsons

Hi ya Toby. Looks very cool and neat! Nice work!

I'm all for doing it yourself and all, gawd knows I've built one too many cabinets, it definitely gives you a great handle on what the principles of a grow space are. BUUUUUUT, didn't that LED set you back a fair bit? I mean why not get a tent and HID system? Loads of cash into your light won't make up for less cash into your ventilation/nutes/environment. Just my opinion.... :-peace

Thanks kimcarsons, yeah thats all the type of questions I asked myself before I started dishing out moola for whatever.

My family is very conservative and pops over whenever and all they will be all up your business. So discreet was my only option. Looks like a filing cab in my studio and its extremely quiet, which off limits btw.

Strangely enough the light didnt cost that much relative to alternative + all the associated factors with a HID setup, ie. heat, running cost and space limitations. With customs, vat, ect cost, set me back R1300 which is bargain if you check the cost locally for an equivalent.

I am also very green conscious, excuse the pun. Geyser timer, led lights, solar panels, etc. So for me it was the natural choice.

The process taught me alot and its still ongoing and loving it.

A question, for the experienced growers. Im planning to grow 2 plants DWC. Im getting clones.

1) Should I let the clones become mothers and then take clones from them to flower or

2) Should I let 1st clones run its cycle and then take clones? :poke

My intention is to keep the mothers bonsai scale in a DWC environment and trim the roots to maintain the size.

thanks again  :-peace

My intention is to keep the mothers bonsai scale in a DWC environment and trim the roots to maintain the size.

My opinion is that it is a lot of work to keep mothers in DWC. Plants grow too fast, and you need to spend a lot of unnecessary time having to make sure the res is right etc. Mine spend their lives in a rich organic soil.

My opinion is that it is a lot of work to keep mothers in DWC. Plants grow too fast, and you need to spend a lot of unnecessary time having to make sure the res is right etc. Mine spend their lives in a rich organic soil.

Thanks Totemic. Due space limitations and as you have mentioned, the rate they grow at, wont they become root bound in small containers? What would you suggest for maintaining mothers in small environments?

Definitely organics. For lighting CFL's or T5's. Organics just grows slower than soilless or hydro without you having to do much really. THe lighting also helps to slow the overall metabolism.

:-peace

Interesting how our grow ideas seem to align pretty well...

Have a look at THIS, might help you out a bit :yipeeee

Great input guys. I am sold - Organic it is. Ill do more research on this.

These are some of my Bonsai moms.

8 and 9cm pots, equal parts Promix and 50/50 amended with Mineral Magic and some Bennys. Plants on right ready to take cuttings from. Left are last rounds donors ready for a feed of Kelpak, Bio Grow and CalMag - they will look like the others in 14 days time. AA battery for scale.

IMG_20150121_083714_zps97857e50.jpg

Once very 1o months or so, remove the plant from the pot and trim each flat side with a large bread knife, including the bottom, and repot with the same mix.

I'll do a tutorial next mum I make, I have a number of new strains cuttings rooting at the moment.

Where do you get your CalMag Mo? Hortishop?

Growing in coco you will need Magnesium Sulfate supplementation.

I personally use 100ppm CalMag with every feed.

I add about 150ppm of Horti's CalMagN+, keep in mind that I use RO water. Is that too much and is there a possibility of there being too much N. Do you use Horti's CalMag Mo?

My water is filtered to 30ppm so we're pretty even in the end result. My method involves the less-is-more principle in general.

I use an imported product, I started with Hortis CalMagN+ but found the extra iron made the Potassium issue in coco during late flowering show up about a week earlier.

Shit  :( so what options do we have as a Cal Mag supplement?