Random Outdoor Grow

ajcapetown

Hey everyone.

I'm really enjoying this site and want to do my bit to contribute to it. Currently I don't have much on the go as I am waiting on some indoor seeds but I have got a couple of plants going outside.

Strains are mostly unknown as I used bagseed, My guess is probably Swazi but I do however have 2 Malberry and 1 Super Silver Skunk from Nguni.

I started my seeds off Mid October, I didn't keep a specific date as I don't take the outdoor grows very seriously. These are obviously all regulars and I will probably take clones off each one to see which are girls. I may also just wait until they all start flowering and quickly remove the males.

I am not using any special soil. The seeds were started in cotton pads then transferred to an organic mix I had made consisting of coco/perlite. The PH was way out as I didn't leave it to stand long enough and the seedlings turned lime/yellow and didn't grow well. 1 by 1 I started moving them across to the garden which consists of the soil thats there. Some of them bounced back and are looking ok and some are still quite small and yellow but we have a long summer ahead of us so they should all grow nicely.

A huge regret I have is throwing all the coco/perlite into the garden with them when I took them out their pots. With the Cape Town wind we have bee having it's started blowing around all over the place to the point where it comes in the windows and causing a brown dust everywhere. I'll never do that again!

Nutrients... I started giving them bio grow about 2 weeks back and I mix about 40% sea grow in with that as well. I've been using half strength nutes but I'm going to up it soon as they can definitely take more. Water I PH to 6.1.

I put some stakes in last week to keep them upright as the wind was literally blowing them flat.

I did plant them quite close together but considering half will be males I'll cut some down as I start flowering.

image1.jpg.a25a0c9e2988e2c7f0a4c7889d0ac925.jpg

image2.jpg.6745d83d2c5604a62763622387af3056.jpg

image3.jpg.f0872e0a12a0ef5d6a7bfca2716afb51.jpg

Have you looked at various training techniques for your plants? It will help against the wind blowing your plants over. I would play around with different techniques on the number of random plants you have. See what work best, then apply it when you plant some quality strain in the future. A nice training ground. That's just IMHO. :-peace

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Guys, apologies for not continuing with this but I've been really busy lately an I'm fighting with an indoor grow that just isn't performing.

Anyway... as you can see my outdoor plants are doing super well. The 2 tallest ones have hit 2 meters now and I have actually started trimming them because they are almost visible over the wall.

I removed 2 plants which I have identified as males and I have my eye on another 2 which look a bit suspect. One of them is showing signs of flowering so I am super excited. I have 4 confirmed females in the group.

I've been feeding once a week with 50% Sea Grow and 50% Bio Grow which has worked well. I also threw some garden master organic potting soil over the surface (about 2cm thick and last week I threw another layer over the surface of mushroom compost)

I'll post some more pics once flowering really starts which should be in a couple of weeks.

At this point my biggest concern is smell as they are probably going to put out quite a stink and you can see the grow is on my property perimeter. I've considered buying some jasmine plants... I don't know though. Anybody on here grown this much in your gardens before and did you have any problems with smell?

Cheers for now!

IMG_8643.thumb.JPG.fce1947674f11c4caf074a5bd86329e5.JPG

IMG_8642.thumb.JPG.6bab7ba441b5f25a22551d565b4788b3.JPG

Nice looking plants there Ajcapetown.  :-clap Thanks for the update.

They are massive. Whatever you have been doing looks like its doing the job, successfully.

I have this little purple plants growing in my garden, its smells very potent. Ill try and get the name of it.  :poke

Keep us posted with future developments and how you combat the odour.

Thanks Toby, I'm really pleased with them.

Yes please if you can get the name that would be great!

I've heard Lavender also smells quite strong and can throw people off the scent of cannabis. Fortunately most people relate a cannabis smell to when it's being smoked so hopefully if anybody does get a whiff they won't recognise the smell of it flowering.

When I do grows indoors it usually gives my whole place a smell even with extractor etc haha.

Guest Maxwell

Stunning! Mutha Fucking BEASTS!!!!  :-clap :-clap :-clap :-clap You might want to halve the size of them now while you still can. They will be a mission to handle and being so close to your wall, it could be risky. IMO just cut them down to half size and clean up everything. Get good penetration and don't allow for any rot/hermies to become an issue. With such big plants you'll have a helluva time controlling that smell....

Ok, so I'm going to the nursery this weekend to buy every lavender plant I can find!

Maxwell I have thought about trimming them down but I just don't have the heart to give them a good hacking. even cutting the tops off gets me quite upset haha.

Also... as it's so close to flowering, with one even showing hairs do you think I would interfere with bud production and yield if I go and cut them back a lot at this point?

Guest Maxwell

I know it can be heart-breaking, but in the long run you'll be happier imo. You'll get more bud sites and denser buds, better structure - in turn the plant won't struggle to keep itself upright. Now is the perfect time to start cutting! If you do it over a week, it shouldn't shock her too much...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys

We are well into flowering now and things are going really well. I gave the plants a good trimming but they actually just went even more crazy haha.

They started getting a bit pale as flowering started but a good dose of bio grow / sea grow sorted that out. The buds are absolutely huge, at least 40cm long.

Smell isn't too much of a problem yet and I put 4 lavender bushes in the mix to try mask it a bit. 3 of the girls are heavily in flower while the one big one only really started about a week ago which means she will be harvested much later than the others.

The height has also been a problem, as I said above even with a huge trimming they still shot up, growing about 4cm a day. That has slowed down now luckily and every day I am watching that they don't creep higher than the wall. They are literally on the border though measuring in at about 2.2 meters.

The one plant was getting very heavy and I noticed with the wind the buds were weighing the branches down so I put a stake in the ground and individually tied string to the heavy branches so that they can't sag any lower. it worked really well.

It's been such a pleasure to watch them grow and to care for them everyday. The amount I have trimmed off them is crazy, if I'd let them just go I would say they could have hit 3 meters in height. I am however getting quite uncomfortable though, it's on my mind constantly that I am at risk. Every time there is a knock at the door or I hear a helicopter I get a bit stressed. I'll be glad come harvest time when I can get them down.

Here's some pics:

IMG_9039.thumb.jpg.26d77d6239bdba14ebc41a05da80baf9.jpg

IMG_9229.thumb.JPG.eb93eb63879c8523654cd34c1adda01d.JPG

IMG_9230.thumb.JPG.1b374aa76d458222b2f00a8a3dbbe470.JPG

IMG_9232.thumb.JPG.c6ed0ca3b497a8a9acf6375b77bbafbd.JPG

IMG_9234.thumb.JPG.967adc3d5a7438ef6bb11a3576d979db.JPG

Haha thanks guys! I'd say it's been worth the stress, I sit out there at least an hour a day just admiring them.

The trimming is going to be a battle haha. I think I will most probably try start on a Friday afternoon and work through a weekend. I harvested a couple of plants this Sunday and man my hand was aching!

Toby I started mid October so they are about 5 months now. I think next season I'm actually going to start mid November though, otherwise I seem to be constantly cutting them back it's kinda pointless. But then again that means I have to wait longer to start my outdoor grow... naaa I'll start in October again  ;D

Now is a good time to get in under them and do some cleaning up. Removing those little branches that don't get any sun etc.  Get a bit more air flowing and a bit more penetration. Also helps a lot with a hermie issue. Often those lower branches are the culprits.

:-peace

• 3 weeks later...

Yo everybody!

Haven't done an update in a while on my outdoor.. to be quite honest I have lost a bit of interest in them because... wait for it... they are Fu%$#ing SEEDED :(

I noticed it a couple weeks back and overtime I see it I get upset. Things were going perfectly and then seeds started showing up. I initially thought that they had possibly been pollinated by a male in the area but after a crazy amount of frenzied searching I found 2 tiny pockets of pollen sacks on one of the plants. I was devastated.. a hermie destroyed my entire crop!! They were so tiny and I can't believe a couple of pollen sacks did all that damage.

Anyway as you can see the buds are still massive and they smell great but I have no time for cannabis with seeds and I just feel so demoralised. I've been watering them everyday, tied up the big buds but apart from that haven't been paying them too much attention as it just pisses me off.

Next year I will be starting strictly from clone so that I can hopefully avoid this happening again. I'm also going to look into some sort of netting/cover to try protect them from any male pollen that could possibly be floating around.

As for the sunflowers... those are fake haha, I put them up to add to my "camo" tactics lol!

Here's some pics.

IMG_9628.thumb.JPG.c93707c8620527ece0d885363f1a1fdb.JPG

IMG_9630.thumb.JPG.a41e60b72363450d691bc6dcca0f60ae.JPG

IMG_9636.thumb.jpg.eaef5096509dd5b915571de718602642.jpg

IMG_9635.thumb.jpg.bcf254a05774b1b1a8322d7e001c2444.jpg