Phantom Cabinet

Trickerst

Hi everyone I am starting my first grow ever.

So here is a little about what I am doing, a super secret (aka phantom) cupboard grow.

I have built a cabinet out of 18mm ply, painted the interior with flat white and the outside with a smooth matte grey, this thing is solid as hell and I had to get one of my guy friends to help me put it in once I had built it!

My interior measurements are as follows:

Internal Measurements

Length (mm)

Width (mm)

Height (mm)

Area (m²)

Volume (m³)

Area (ft²)

Volume(ft³)

For my venting I have:

Ventilation

Fans x3

Coursair ML140/120

Size (mm)

140x140x25

Speed (RPM)

400-2000

Noise (dBA)

16-37

Displacement (CFM)

20-97

Static Pressure

0.2-3

Required CFM

The ventilation is controlled via PWM from my controller that I am building (I will detail it below). Only on fan will be used for venting, the others will be used internally.

For my lighting I have:

Lighting

COBs x6

Vero29 3500K

Driver

HLG-240H-C2100B

Heatsink (mm)

Active

Again this will be controlled via PWM as I realise that 6x Vero 29s would be a little crazy for my tiny box. The enclosure looks really really nice too.

For my controller I have:

Controller

Board

RPi0w

Sensors:

1x Waterproof DS18B20

3x DHT22

2x Moisture Sensors

The controller is a raspberry pi zero wireless, it is connected to my home network and will run its own protected web server that I can log in to and see exactly what my parameters are at that time and their history.

It will measure:

Humidity and temperature sensors to monitor the top and bottom of the box as well as the room it is in (DHT22 sensors)

Temperature of the soil via the DS18B20

Everything will get logged and graphed so I can see exactly what is happening.

Venting:

This will allow me to do control the box really well I can measure the humidity and temp inside the box and determine fan speed to compensate.

I can tell what the temp/humidity of the box is compared to the external temp, venting speed, light intensity, moisture of soil etc which will allow me to further finetune.

Watering:

I can also measure the moisture content of the soil to determine when to water. With an auto-cycle for rinsing every 4 weeks or so.

Water will be RO water (just makes it so much easier to control its parameters, easy to pH balance and remineralise)

To that end I have a reservoir with a pump and an auto doser for nutrient dosing (which will happen in an intermediate reservoir). I plan to pump up to a gravity fed reservoir that drains over 30-60min.

Internal fans:

Not sure how much there is to here, but I think maybe oscillate them alternatively?

Odor control:

Carbon filter. This is going to be a bit weird because I am going to mount it external to save space on my internal.

Inlet:

Passive with a light trap & filter.

Medium & Pot:

For my grow medium I am going to go with a coco peat/perlite mix in a smart pot (wide and shallow to help with height) on a ribbed tray for draining. Runoff will be gathered and given to my non stealth plants!

For nutrients I will just use the EHG range.

Strain:

I really want to do NL #5 x HAZE, but I think as it is my first grow I will go with whatever I can get my hands on

Method:

SCROG

I still need to order my seeds, pot & media, build my SCROG, carbon filter, cut the venting holes, find filters for the intakes and build the light traps. I have plenty of time to get everything setup correctly and tested.

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds awesome!!!! You forgot the blades and bong for end result :-rastapuff

Truly prepared! I don't think I saw any testing equipment? TDs/EC pen and pH pen, both will be a must for any grow

Haha, I will get a vape for then.

I will get the TDS pen and pH pen soon.

Just wow man. Love to see the phantom in action!

Should be soon!

Any new pics?

I will post some soon, I cut the ventilation holes in this week, which was a bitch seeing as it is 18mm ply.

I need to still get my ducting & carbon. The controller is running and seems to be working just fine!

Getting close to starting, will order some ferts at the end of the month.

You doubled down on the COBs. Noiiiiiice :-clap   were the prior 3 also D series, and a full double, or were they higher voltage series and a bit less than doubling up? All 3500K? And are these all going in the same spec. cab. ? Holy shieet.  

Interesting idea with the hydroton as it may help wick moisture from the fabric pots, but it will hold water as well. Also, could this be an area for nasties (pests / fungi / etc.) to grow? I'm using cheap plebeian plastic mat things from Mambos, cut to size - see pic. - works alright, but always interested in other options.

IMG_4903.thumb.JPG.10f3cc36658fdc5c46fda157b56ae410.JPG

You doubled down on the COBs. Noiiiiiice :-clap   were the prior 3 also D series, and a full double, or were they higher voltage series and a bit less than doubling up? All 3500K? And are these all going in the same spec. cab. ? Holy shieet.  

Interesting idea with the hydroton as it may help wick moisture from the fabric pots, but it will hold water as well. Also, could this be an area for nasties (pests / fungi / etc.) to grow? I'm using cheap plebeian plastic mat things from Mambos, cut to size - see pic. - works alright, but always interested in other options.

Haha yeah, I will have a total of:

3X Vero SE 29D @ 4500k

1x meanwell 1400mA driver

I have tried to figure out the PPF & PPFD but I can't find the QER for the Veros.

As for the hydroton, I have no idea. I wish I could get some more feedback from the pros!

Wow, can't wait to see this setup in action!!! Lots of pics once you get going PLEASE!

I will! Just need to get it going!

The PLC 6 (Greengenes - pacificlights) has sphere data; the chips are, however, B series driven at 1800mA.

Conveniently though, comparing to Vero spec. sheets, efficacy is the same:

B series @ 1800mA = 160lm/W

SE D series @ 2100mA = 159lm/W

The sphere data has 1.91umol/J  (with the fixture listed as 1.97umol/J on pacificlights), this I believe is based on 110/120V vs 220/240V vs 277V  - driver losses are less on 240V.

For lack of other data to draw from, I would think you could fudge from 1.91 ~ 1.97 umol/J in some fudgy calculations.

474W @ 1.91 = 905 umol/s

@ 1.97 = 933 umol/s

Punch that into your square meter area for ridiculous PPFD that's best illustrated by Lord Helmet

6de5156f79984bb7c7ba302c56943eeb--dark-helmet-tv-movie.jpg.c997b72b62d94a9c80021d6363d40a31.jpg

The PLC 6 (Greengenes - pacificlights) has sphere data; the chips are, however, B series driven at 1800mA.

Conveniently though, comparing to Vero spec. sheets, efficacy is the same:

B series @ 1800mA = 160lm/W

SE D series @ 2100mA = 159lm/W

The sphere data has 1.91umol/J  (with the fixture listed as 1.97umol/J on pacificlights), this I believe is based on 110/120V vs 220/240V vs 277V  - driver losses are less on 240V.

For lack of other data to draw from, I would think you could fudge from 1.91 ~ 1.97 umol/J in some fudgy calculations.

474W @ 1.91 = 905 umol/s

@ 1.97 = 933 umol/s

Punch that into your square meter area for ridiculous PPFD that's best illustrated by Lord Helmet

I did some math with those numbers, I was always shit with math so hopefully it checks out:

Vero29 3500K

Vf

= 37.6v

A

= 2.1a

lm/w

= 159 lm/w

umol/J

= 1.94 umol/J

w/perCOB

= Vf * A

= 37.6 * 2.1

= 78.96w

PPF

= umol/J * w/perCOB

= 1.94 * 78.96

= 153.18 umol/s

Area

= L * W

= 0.552 * 0.428

= 0.24 m^2

PPFD perCOB

= PPF/area

= 648.37 μmol/s-m^2

Total PPFD

= PPFD * 3

= 648.37 * 3

= 1945.11 μmol/s-m^2

"The controller is a raspberry pi zero wireless, it is connected to my home network and will run its own protected web server that I can log in to and see exactly what my parameters are at that time and their history."

Flippen Hell! Baller of note!Wow man, that is definitely an amazing setup to have! Pulling up a chair for this one...

Total PPFD

= PPFD * 6

= 648.37 * 6

= 3 890.25 μmol/s-m^2

LUDICROUS SPEED. Given the size of your box, 0.24m^2, the PPFD will always be real high. How that equates to real use, is beyond me.... The diminishing returns graph virtually maxes out at around 1200umol/s/m2 .

Robin's optics thread(s) have PAR readings on individual COBs at different heights which you could fudgingly overlay to figure out spread, but again, it's over a very small area, so I can't see it yielding any valuable info other than perhaps confirming/reducing hot spots with 90deg reflectors. 

But ya, going on our dodgy data and math; it is enough light to cover  1m x 1m area @ ~900umol/s plus which would be the tits before you're hitting diminishing returns. 

Perhaps you just never exceed a certain dimming % ....or sell me half, cos I'm such a cool guy :poke

I'm really keen to see pics of this beast of a box. Get building yo!

"The controller is a raspberry pi zero wireless, it is connected to my home network and will run its own protected web server that I can log in to and see exactly what my parameters are at that time and their history."

Flippen Hell! Baller of note!Wow man, that is definitely an amazing setup to have! Pulling up a chair for this one...

Haha, thank you.

That is the cheapest part of the system, and the easiest to setup!

@narnia I still need to install the ventilation stuff, I've been a little lazy with that.

And I can also control the drivers with PWM, which I can use the PiZero for,so I could potentially drive the cobs at 1amp instead of 2.1amps

My nutes arrived today, finally.

EHG:

Grow, Micro, and Bloom

CaMg Nitrate

Biodyne Environoc 401

I think I am going to go get the promix organic from Hortishop in Cape Town.

"Promix Organic consists of:

Coco Peat [50%], Perlite [50%], Turbo Grow, Dolomite Lime, Rock Phosphate, Powdered Kelp, Mycoroot, Diatomaceous Earth, Trichoderma & Worm Castings."

What do you guys think?

Just got a quote for 3x 150mm circular weather louvres for the cab @ R 1000. Which seems a bit crazy, does anyone know where to get some that aren't the cost of our GDP?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays, I should be done with the main construction this weekend, decided to go analog with the power controls as it is a lot of juice flowing into the box so I will be fitting a DB internally.

The lights are all hooked up and working like a charm, I just need to add the vents and attach the exhaust fan. I also want to get hold of some wire and make a 90 degree frame to put my two floor fans on so they blow up into the plant. Hooking up a 12v 5a PSU for all the computer fans (1 for venting and 2 for circulation) all are 140mm fans so they will be silent and move a decent amount of air.

The temp & humidity sensors are all running and looking good. Might be a while before I can find the genetics I want though, which is an issue because I will be in Durban during Dec so my grow will have to be done by then, I might only do my first grow in Jan if it doesn't work out.

I have everything I need except the vents and carbon filter.

My only concern is the temp and humidity flux of the room. Temp ranges from 17  - 25 degrees and humidity from 44% - 70% RH. If i air the room out for a more stable RH my temp fluctuates more.

So I don't know if a grow will be possible under these conditions during the summer months.

PsFTAggM5KipQU+A1QPiMnIC8gMAAAAeOkBmQEAAAAvPf8PS1Lt2j1OiAcAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

test_-_Copy.png.02b179537d9eace6b2de402526ae679d.png

Dehuey and/or aircon, seal(ish) and condition the room where the cab. is in? Probs a bit of overkill, equipment-wise, for the cab. size though. Have you logged some data with lights on? 

No man, no delays 'til Jan. Get some girls in thar! You can doooo iiiit :-gthumb

Dehuey and/or aircon, seal(ish) and condition the room where the cab. is in? Probs a bit of overkill, equipment-wise, for the cab. size though. Have you logged some data with lights on?

No man, no delays 'til Jan. Get some girls in thar! You can doooo iiiit :-gthumb

Haha that just becomes a bit much, plus I don't consume a lot and I am not selling it so it would be hard to offset those costs!

I will try a small grow during the summer to see what happens, at least I can monitor exactly what is happening.

The fan controller is going in tomorrow with some more sensors. Ambient room sensors and ones at the top and bottom of the [inside] cab to measure differences in temp. I will update with some pics of my progress so far tomorrow!

• 4 weeks later...