Organic soil- indoor grow

Brown-dawg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, did you take GLO up on his offer?

Plants looking good!

Never made it to GLO 's soil... pity. But I've been wrapped up in work etc. the ladies got a lot of love, music and good doses of Epsom salts alternating with seagro and lots of sunlight too. I'm breathing a bit easier now.

Room is getting a distinctly yummy smell.

Thanks for comments Budwizer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were chatting  , had a 50l bag waiting for him but I think he came right because it went silent . Think it's still sitting there actually lol

Oh wow. If that soil is there, it won't be wasted. Got some clones I'd like to get into beautiful soil. I didn't realize you had actually left anything for me. I'll check soon lol

Thanks GLO

Possibly merely 'wet feet' issues from the medium not drying out properly between waterings. 

Root rot probs. usually begin with overwater / anaerobic environment, which gives a nice environment to breed root baddies. Though more likely just unhappy roots from wet medium.

Fabric pots often dry out unevenly, which is frustrating. 

:-2cents

Possibly merely 'wet feet' issues from the medium not drying out properly between waterings.

Root rot probs. usually begin with overwater / anaerobic environment, which gives a nice environment to breed root baddies. Though more likely just unhappy roots from wet medium.

Fabric pots often dry out unevenly, which is frustrating.

:-2cents

Thanks for the comment. I'll be keeping a sharp eye on them. Thanks

That one plant has serious root issues

Hello alemo

If you could be more specific...

Lol, by now you should know....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If nothing else, he's persistent.

Sent from a cloaked GPS location using Tapatalk

Tell me about the humidifier you got going there. Is your humidity that bad that you need it?

39725bce381e9a207907bc5609e22d1c.jpg

To maintain 50-65%rh it does seem to need the humidifier. It was especially needed when they were in the enclosed box.

In this room I only keep it on low.

Are you thinking the roots aren't developing because rh too high ?

Nah. Im thinking in all my years of growing ive never needed a humidifier. Also never actually been too concerned with humidity. The plants and the environment create its own humidity ime.

Well. That's good to know. Perhaps I'll give them a week without and see what happens. How little no you been growing?

I use the same humidifier. My airflow is very high though, and my geographic area dry. The aircon tank stays dry, even though I fill the humidifier twice a day.

If you live close to the coast, you don’t need a humidifier, most of the time. A dehumidifier is a must for Capetown winters.

You must do something about the internal light on the humidifier. I put a piece of foil over the light, actually in the recess of the tank, and covered the level sight slit with black insulation tape.

I don’t think your problem is RH.

All your problems are in the soil, what was there and what you’ve added.

I use the same humidifier. My airflow is very high though, and my geographic area dry. The aircon tank stays dry, even though I fill the humidifier twice a day.

If you live close to the coast, you don’t need a humidifier, most of the time. A dehumidifier is a must for Capetown winters.

You must do something about the internal light on the humidifier. I put a piece of foil over the light, actually in the recess of the tank, and covered the level sight slit with black insulation tape.

I don’t think your problem is RH.

All your problems are in the soil, what was there and what you’ve added.

Tending to agree with you Budwizer

It's a root issue and has nothing to do with RH. Have you had your rain water PH tested? Is there a buffer in your medium? But in likelihood totemic is right , it could just be a case of to much water and love lol. Even your tomato plant in the corner isn't very happy

I will drop that bag of soil of at growguru tomorrow for you but even with my soil if you don't treat it right will go bad . It should be a lot more forgiving that your current mix though

It's a root issue and has nothing to do with RH. Have you had your rain water PH tested? Is there a buffer in your medium? But in likelihood totemic is right , it could just be a case of to much water and love lol. Even your tomato plant in the corner isn't very happy

I will drop that bag of soil of at growguru tomorrow for you but even with my soil if you don't treat it right will go bad . It should be a lot more forgiving that your current mix though

There's quite a bit of dolomite lime in the mix now. I'm amazed it's too much water because the top 3  -5 cm of soil is pretty dry but I chill with the watering till they droop if I have to this time.

Awesome about the soil. Ill probably be in Pe this week to pick up stuff, will be super stoked to get a bit of your soil l...

The tomato plant has just arrived and is not in my soil.

Organics gurus got you covered on the pH and amendments :-gthumb... A few more bob :-2cents on the fabric pots:

Elevate them as much as you're able to, to allow some airflow. It'll help them dry out more evenly. Even just a couple cms will help. Can't tell from the pic if they are already.

If the bottom inch of the fabric pots are soggy af, which is often the case I find with mine, could try a small layer of hydroton on the bottom, next transplant (if you haven't already and you're potting up), and/or an intermittent, or thermostat controlled, heating pad underneath provided it doesn't raise ambient temps/root zone too much.

I'm not in soil, but often the top of the medium will be dry and a small bamboo probe or feel of the bottom of the pot is moist.