Organic soil- indoor grow

Brown-dawg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking of moving them all out of that cabinet into my basement. Temps are more even than the garage. I'll put the humidifier on and fan at a distance. Just to circulate air in the room. It's about 8 meters square.

I'd like to rescue them if possible. No way to go hydro now. Will happily repot in good soil though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Budwizer's right your plants are suffering and are way behind... BUT there is hope though and it may not be worth just killing the plants yet.

Here's what I can suggest... if you're willing to switch to Hydro and grow these out in coco/perlite you will be able to salvage these provided you do it right. Buy some promix from a hydro store and transplant your plants into 10-15L pots, straight into the promix. Then start feeding with hydro nutes, let them settle in the new pots for about a week and then top them. You'll see the new growth looking a lot better. I've done it before with good success. Otherwise transplant those into a good soil mix but I would suggest going into coco/perlite for the rest of this grow

Willing to give you step by step advice should you be willing to do this :-peace

Thanks so much. Can't go hydro now. My cash barrel has s empty

Going to find excellent soil for rest of grow. Jamies garden shop ?

Ok. So this is a potentially really embarrassing admission but in the interests of helping others and learning, here it is

Firstly thanks for all the comments and helpfulness. Much appreciated.

I went systematically through everything I've been doing to see what problem could be.

I remembered the seedlings being really happy when I transplanted them some weeks ago so I wondered what changed.

Then I remembered: I changed the lights and moved fans. I wondered if that was somehow related to the problem...

Finally I looked at my digital light switch/timer...

My equipment has been running 24/7 for at least four weeks... probably more.

My poor plants!!!

I've reset the timer, they will be on 18/6 schedule ( I will bloody well check that the lights go off at night)

I hope that this helps someone else. Such a silly mistake.

Helpful commentary is welcome.

Hey bro, sorry to read about your issues.

Do you mean 24hrs on and 7 off? 

If 24/0 veg cycle:

*can* exacerbate existing issues and make recovery slower, but is an unlikely cause IMO. Lots of people run 24/0. In your situation it *may* have been slightly beneficial by keeping temps more constant and avoiding low winter temps, allowing the medium to dry a bit. Switching from 18/6 to 24/0 mid run could've shocked them some, but you'd expect some bounce back.

You, and others in the thread, are more likely on target with over watering and/or pH issues in medium, exacerbated by overwatering or simply the medium itself. 

You could try a slurry test, though not really entirely definitive, can give more info on medium pH. Overwatering is a killer. Humidity flux can impede transpiration and nute uptake (high and lows are quite low and high on your hygrometer, but still pretty tolerable) but with overwatering and/or pH issues your girls wont be feeding / drinking much at all, lack of oxygen will drown ém, pH may swing, lockout and lockup, lack of root development or potential rot in an anaerobic environment, depending on the [bennie]life in your medium.

Hey bro, sorry to read about your issues.

Do you mean 24hrs on and 7 off?

If 24/0 veg cycle:

*can* exacerbate existing issues and make recovery slower, but is an unlikely cause IMO. Lots of people run 24/0. In your situation it *may* have been slightly beneficial by keeping temps more constant and avoiding low winter temps, allowing the medium to dry a bit. Switching from 18/6 to 24/0 mid run could've shocked them some, but you'd expect some bounce back.

You, and others in the thread, are more likely on target with over watering and/or pH issues in medium, exacerbated by overwatering or simply the medium itself.

You could try a slurry test, though not really entirely definitive, can give more info on medium pH. Overwatering is a killer. Humidity flux can impede transpiration and nute uptake (high and lows are quite low and high on your hygrometer, but still pretty tolerable) but with overwatering and/or pH issues your girls wont be feeding / drinking much at all, lack of oxygen will drown ém, pH may swing, lockout and lockup, lack of root development or potential rot in an anaerobic environment, depending on the [bennie]life in your medium.

Right.

All part of the considerations but trying to pinpoint the exact problem is proving pretty challenging. I see they've perked up a lot after foliar feed seagro. Improved color, leaves are firm but not crispy.

Nothing to pinpoint bud , you have ph issues causing lockout . A folior spray would help as the plants can use the nutrients from a folior spray even when it's locked out. 18/6 is much better as it will aid in plant recovery.  Your ph issues can either be caused by the water you giving it , overwatering or bad medium . Bad medium and overwatering can be fixed relatively easily but for a beginner to try balance ph in a soil once it's gone bad is really hard. 

So moving forward you have 2 choices , either buy a ph pen and test ballance the soil out again with aact and a carefull ph controll or  I would recommend that you just replant them into known good medium and letting the plants recover on there own as it's a lot easier .

Nothing to pinpoint bud , you have ph issues causing lockout . A folior spray would help as the plants can use the nutrients from a folior spray even when it's locked out. 18/6 is much better as it will aid in plant recovery.  Your ph issues can either be caused by the water you giving it , overwatering or bad medium . Bad medium and overwatering can be fixed relatively easily but for a beginner to try balance ph in a soil once it's gone bad is really hard.

So moving forward you have 2 choices , either buy a ph pen and test ballance the soil out again with aact and a carefull ph controll or  I would recommend that you just replant them into known good medium and letting the plants recover on there own as it's a lot easier .

Thanks GLO. glad it's obvious to you. Gives me hope I'll one day have a similar depth of knowledge...

Can you recommend a known good medium or do you know the "grow green organics " range of products?

This is the mushroom compost from their range of soils etc.

ec5bf637704ba25b935c5b37c8a797ff.jpg

I can drop off some soil for you there if it's not to much , it's untested though. I made it ages ago for my next run so it should be fine but like I say its currently untested as I was going to put a clone in to test in a few days and see how it's cooked but that will take about a week to fully test it

Very kind of you! Happy to give it a whirl.

Probably only be able to get there at end of week.

I'm from out of town but go in regularly.

Why I keep mentioning grow green organics , is because a buddy of mine who was s a long time grower suggested 50/50 ggo potting soil and perlite with regular watering seagro, plain water and epsom water alternately.

Those plants are really struggling. They are locked out bad. I would stop with the foliar feeding as well. Focus on getting them in good soil and force yourself to leave them alone for 2 weeks....no watering after the first good watering post transplant. No feeding. No foliar. Nothing. They might recover well if you manage to discipline yourself.:-2cents

:-peace

Those plants are really struggling. They are locked out bad. I would stop with the foliar feeding as well. Focus on getting them in good soil and force yourself to leave them alone for 2 weeks....no watering after the first good watering post transplant. No feeding. No foliar. Nothing. They might recover well if you manage to discipline yourself.:-2cents

:-peace

Thanks totemic.

Working on the soil thing. Looks like transplant this weekend.

Appreciation bro

I'm not sure, but isn't 1 teaspoon (5g)/ liter quite high, even for foliar feeding?

No pro bro. This is what I was as told by a long time grower. 

Think I'm gonna take totemic and GLO's advice to transplant to good soil and leave them alone for two weeks!!!!!

WTF ph readings.

Here's the tool I'm using to measure ph. cae3ae782cfcf9ae28c7647736b602ad.jpg

Distilled water and probe.

b5142f871d47ab57b07e85f35b034146.jpg

Made mud in areas to be tested.

c2836684d95b1cd630cde7a63698da83.jpg

Reading in new soil

baf231b19baa93898d1f4f03e5623d13.jpg

Reading from the soil I have been using

4faff3c5a88cc0a9df62e4a2bca841f9.jpg

Reading from random area in garden.

All photos taken after allowing the meter to be in the soil for at least 60 seconds.

I think this meter is screwed.

Looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Ph papers test

0c5e1b164fc3111baa977783a06122d6.jpg

From left to right :

Vinegar, soil1, soil2, agricultural lime, lye

Vinegar seems around 4

The two soil samples between 5 and 5.7, the lime 7 and the lye is right off the alkaline chart. 

I'm thinking the soil needs a bit of bonemeal and lime. Comments and suggestions will be appreciated and welcome.

Dolomite lime is a good idea, only question is, how much. Bonemeal is also a good idea. The problem is that you don't have the time it'll take for those ingredients to stabilize.

Definitely make up your mix, but add some Talborne organic veg, at the very least. Leave this mix for your next grow, or at least two months. Some EWC can't hurt either.

For this grow, you need something ready to rock, and GLO's offer is something many here would fight you for. Make a plan and take him up on it.

Dolomite lime is a good idea, only question is, how much. Bonemeal is also a good idea. The problem is that you don't have the time it'll take for those ingredients to stabilize.

Definitely make up your mix, but add some Talborne organic veg, at the very least. Leave this mix for your next grow, or at least two months. Some EWC can't hurt either.

For this grow, you need something ready to rock, and GLO's offer is something many here would fight you for. Make a plan and take him up on it.

Dude. I know!!!! If I could get there tomorrow I'd be there. I private messaged him I could only get there next week ... haven't heard back.

Thanks for the confirmation though on the soil mix

• 3 weeks later...

Transplanted all my ladies today. Holding thumbs that all will be well.

They've all been topped and the OG Kush CBD are getting trained to make a flat canopy.

41f3604d0d4dde09167fbae48f11c8e2.jpg

This little one I left outside thinking she was too traumatized to live but sunlight and rain seem to have given her a new lease on life.

166ed810a558708730c7b5024e48bed5.jpg

This was my very tiny California hash. She suddenly growing more than everyone else. 7f8cc5af7a8332aa28c1544812041881.jpg

Big OG in training

65f1e45ad04fdceafe68f81c1761038b.jpg

The two smaller OG's

56bcb2912ca433dd05c3f1949a630c67.jpg

The older California hash after foliar feed

Cheers guys.

Look forward to hearing from you.