Mango natural and artificial light project

CannabisKid

Hi all, i would like to firstly introduce my self first before i get into any further details. I am new to growing and this is my first indoor grow.

I'm going to be doing something which is unfortunate, but my only option for now.

What i'm speaking about is using natural light, and supplementing the natural light cycle with 5 hours of extra artificial lighting.

The Strain i'm at present growing is Mango. I managed to score a few seeds from a good bag.

My seeds were germinated using RO water with a PH of 6.8.

Method of Germination - Placed in a plastic container soaked in the RO water in a dark humid place.

This was done on the 9th of January.

On the 14th of January almost all the seeds had successfully germinated and a tap root was clearly visible.

I placed all the seeds in seedling trays using rock wool as the medium.

My seeds were germinated using RO water with a PH of 6.8.

On the 16th the first few of the lot had sprouted, followed by the rest a few days later.

I initially decided on growing these plants indoors, without using any artificial lighting. I would first grow the plants till i found a female worth investing all the electricity onto.

I then noticed that the seedlings had stretched due to natural light maybe not being sufficient. This is when i decided i will make the choice in compromising an additional 5 hours of artificial lighting to help slow down the stretching and also keep the plants out of flowering if the natural light cycle at the moment was to short.

I've seen on reliable weather forecast app, that where i stay the sun comes up at 05:00 and sunset is at 19:30. From what i've read this will keep my plants from flowering, but i still had the problem of the seedlings stretching. So i decided to stick the seedling trays under the 160watt 6500k daylight CFL. I did this in the hope i can prevent or slow down the stretching that was happening.

From the moment i decided to use artificial lighting to help supplement the natural lighting i noticed faster growth and less stretching. The light cycle i have been using and still using is

06:00 - 19:30 natural

19:30 - 01:30 artificial 160 watt 6500k

24857d621ebcd1da1fc80be9dd348ece.jpg

This is how they look at present 1st of February

de05ef35495812ad098e37a6e843fdb4.jpg

These 4 i chose to place into 20cm plastic pots

fe94bce7e96465091dfebc128de799a0.jpg

Growing medium  - Organic Pro Mix

Water used- Reverse osmosis water with a PH of 6.8

Watering Schedule - every 3rd day 250ml each

Potting Equipment - 4x 20cm plastic pots and 4x 15cm plastic pots

Fertilizer used - BioBizz Bio Grow, BioBizz Fish Mix and Biobizz Bio Bloom

Lighting 1x 160watt 6500K daylight CFl

Lighting schedule - 18-6 +-

I'l be editing and adding to this first post as i find more to write about as i'm a full on noob about all this stuff but feel wanting to share my new passion with you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far so good! I'm curious to know how long you plan on supplementing with CFL light? You cant successfully grow indoors without decent artificial lighting as you have found out. You can combine natural light and artificial light but I think you will be better off choosing either indoor with lights or outdoor. You didn't mention a fan and I don't see a picture of a fan either. Remember if you don't have a fan blowing gently over your plant then the stem will be weak. Why not put it outside once the seedlings are strong enough? Unless you maybe have security issues outside.

So far so good! I'm curious to know how long you plan on supplementing with CFL light? You cant successfully grow indoors without decent artificial lighting as you have found out. You can combine natural light and artificial light but I think you will be better off choosing either indoor with lights or outdoor. You didn't mention a fan and I don't see a picture of a fan either. Remember if you don't have a fan blowing gently over your plant then the stem will be weak. Why not put it outside once the seedlings are strong enough? Unless you maybe have security issues outside.

Hey mate, i plan on just doing this lighting schedule till i determine their sex with pre flowering. Once i know which are female and which are male i will proceed forward placing the female plants inside the grow box on a 12/12 lighting schedule.

I will be using 1x 160watt 6500k CFL and 8x 20watt 2700k CFL's for flowering.

I have a crim fan i pinched from my folks, i have the fan blowing on the plants nicely. Working on the same timer as the lighting, set to start at 19:00 and work through till 01:00.

I have a 6inch extractor fan as well, not currently using it. Need to still build my air scrubber .

I live in a complex. Wouldn't be able to place them outside, or even in a windowsill. #sucks

They're still young dude, it's a little early to diagnose since they don't look bad. Try upping your feeding strength slightly and see how it goes. Keep upping the strength little by little until you're happy with the colour, or they show signs of burn.

685f1de8fe1b26b43d1e6d3d3900d2c0.jpg

These are the nutes i'm using, i've given them 2 doses of the bio grow and fish mix both diluted down to 1/4 strength. I fertilized with the first 2 waterings.

I am worried i over fertilize so the last watering i did, i skipped the nutes.

Any suggestions on how to use this product?

They are begging for more light. Youd get a better spread turning that CFL horizontal. I would also add more light. At least another 2 of them at that low wattage. :-2cents

:-peace

Will try and do as you suggest .

I have another question, what should the ideal internode distances be kept to? I know the tighter they are the better, but what is the ideal? So in this grow i noticed i have 4 swazi gold plants. I got some seeds mixed up.

The internodes on these swazi gold plants are further apart than the mango plants.

Can clearly see the difference between the sativa and indica plants. I thought i had only germinated mango seeds. #fail. Maybe it was meant to be.

The sativa plants seem to be growing taller and the internodes seem to be further apart then the indica plants (mango).

From my understanding sativa plants grow longer, and indica plants grow shorter, and bushier. So what i'm experiencing is normal, but my question is, what should the ideal internode distances be on a sativa and indica plant at this age and size?

58013fec5f4e118af5b04f663d82ecca.jpg

Here you can see the distance between the internodes on the sativa plant (swazi gold).

Another question. How is the stem looking on the sativa plant on the left? Should it be thicker than this for the length?

457520b053a78f81372870a385c3d8e8.jpg

An up to date pic of how the (we hope) girlies are doing.

Today i topped just after the 4th node, watered with some epsom salts at 1/4 tsp per 1liter strength.

f782774a9cb6c9490f0b73761ca16645.jpge6aca955d4ede60b50406ab1e285c3c5.jpgeb9abad5b4e1f69ffdd3d96038f18cf4.jpg

I added another 20watt 6500k cfl on the side. My grow box has fittings for mid and high side option. Great for getting the 2700k's on all those nugs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest shadowassasin

Yeah how did it turn out? i as as my friend wants to run 2 x 250 cfl for veg am im interested to see what comes out

Sorry guys, been quiet, 1 of the 4 plants turned out female, these are the pictures i just took,

The plant is way behind, and made plenty of mistakes on this first grow, i will write up a full summary explaining what mistakes i made and where i can improve on my next grow.

I have definitely learned a lot with this grow.

Don't judge the pegs and hair clips, or the lolly pop mutant plant.

16f95d3702b3d7e3f959bf4831b8c281.jpg09f7c8a3e0fae4287122acb9648d1a57.jpg28897a723e4f92d3d00ff45c5f8c00a3.jpg4e4b9c4708a9e9324771c98e83ebe0ff.jpg46cd2b8d6295ac4bb72dbe01620d4f98.jpg

338b446363ffac5d202b0bcaaa33750d.jpg