Hang Drying vs Drying racks/nets

Weskush

Hang drying vs Drying racks/nets  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which drying method do you prefer? Hang drying or drying racks/nets?

• Hang drying
    • Drying racks/nets

I own and have used racks/nets, but at the moment I prefer hang drying. 

I will use the racks/nets if I have to dry more than say one tent at a time. If it's just one tent at a time I just hang the harvest in the same tent. 

I find that when using the racks/nets you can sometimes come out with slightly compressed/flat buds due to gravity pushing down on the sides of the nugs whereas that phenomenon does not happen when hanging the plant upside-down to dry. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

My environment has an avg humidity of 60 - 70% hence the reason for wet trimming, seperating buds from stem and placing in drying net. Turning buds daily to minimize flat spots. This method reduces the risk of mold. Was thinking of hanging whole plants to dry after trimming all fan and non sugar leaves but this poses a very real risk of mold infestation. I do run a fan though but nonetheless. Just curious which method is the most popular and if the two methods have an effect on taste etc in the end product, without taking the vital curing process in consideration.

Edited by Weskush
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Weskush said:

Just curious which method is the most popular and if the two methods have an effect on taste etc in the end product, without taking the vital curing process in consideration.

I think it's mostly just cosmetic, but I hear you on the rotating to prevent flat spots. I would find it to be a bit of a mission so I personally wouldn't do it just for that reason :-blazed

7 hours ago, Weskush said:

Was thinking of hanging whole plants to dry after trimming all fan and non sugar leaves but this poses a very real risk of mold infestation.

This is currently my go-to method. Also keeps the sugar trim nice and tidy too for more quality extracts. 

• Like 2

I still gotta sort out my drying situation, got a dryrack but also only used it a couple times. I feel the surface where the buds lay and it feels stick, so I think trichomes do run off when using it and then the deforming buds thing. 

The wendy my tents are in is a long split compartment wendy, equal space on both sides, my grow side is insulated and other side is just normal. I hand in there, before chop I remove only the biggest of fan leaves, I try to remove as little as possible to slow the drying down and also don't use a fan. RH is not stable on that side of the wendy though, flux between 30 and 70%. 

Gotta sort that out, but untill now it'a served me good. I heard a Canadian dude say "that's the only time you aim for a perfect 666, that's 60%RH 60°F and 16days" lol that's not really 666 but every number has a 6 in it 😅 60°F = 15/16°C hahah fucking hell those Canadians 🥶 makes sense that you'll need 16 days then, but probably minimal terp loss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

I still gotta sort out my drying situation, got a dryrack but also only used it a couple times. I feel the surface where the buds lay and it feels stick, so I think trichomes do run off when using it and then the deforming buds thing. 

The wendy my tents are in is a long split compartment wendy, equal space on both sides, my grow side is insulated and other side is just normal. I hand in there, before chop I remove only the biggest of fan leaves, I try to remove as little as possible to slow the drying down and also don't use a fan. RH is not stable on that side of the wendy though, flux between 30 and 70%. 

Gotta sort that out, but untill now it'a served me good. I heard a Canadian dude say "that's the only time you aim for a perfect 666, that's 60%RH 60°F and 16days" lol that's not really 666 but every number has a 6 in it 😅 60°F = 15/16°C hahah fucking hell those Canadians 🥶 makes sense that you'll need 16 days then, but probably minimal terp loss. 

Ja maintaining 15 degrees this time of the year will need an aircon. I'll just run a fan on low. Worked just fine. Just looking to improve without having to spend cash on equipment and Eskom. Catch 22...

• Like 1