Advice needed

SuMi

Hi Guys , just got growing again after a few years . Having a bit of a problem that's eating away at me . (Please may you see the pics provided). Context : clones should be around 2 weeks old now after purchase. Growing under a 320w samsung Lm301b light . Had their first nutrient feed last night . Clones had thrips on them when I got them , so I sprayed them with Ludwig's organic pesticide.(think I need to spray them again). For the life of me I cannot figure out why these leaves are curling upwards. I have turned the lights down to about 25%. The temp In the room is around 27 degrees. Fan on all the time , not blowing directly on the babies. Can someone please help . Maybe with past experience?

IMG-20221005-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20221005-WA0005.jpg

• Like 1

What soil you use, how often do you water and how much wind is on the plants? I exclude light and heat/cold stress as don't think is your issue.

If you didn't over water them or gave em to much fertilizer.. pests can do that too. And always respray.. even you think is clean, during veg you can hit em hard.

Edited by Prom
cant type.. so the usual ^^
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have only watered once now , have been like wetting the top of the soil as I was giving them time to settle into the new pots , like not even 10 ml when I was wetting them . For first feed which was yesterday I watered till there was run off . Was having this issue before the first feed . Maybe i could be over watering them . I will let them dry out and see if they come right by friday.

• Like 1

The curl might also be because the plants don't like the spray you gave em. I have no experience with Dr Ludowigs Thingy Thing, Somebody in here used it? Never use more as the recommended dosage.

A organic I like to use for insects is this one:

https://hydrobiz.co.za/products/xterminator

Lift your pots.. heavy means no feeding. I grew over 1000 plants and till this day I lift a few pots of a tray to decide if i feed or not. The moment i can ask the plants in what language ever: Are you hungry? And they answer.. i will stop lifting up pots 😂 

Edited by Prom
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Fire! 1

Clones can be very sensitive when replanted into soil. They are used to the environment that they were cloned from (high humidity dome etc.) The dark green and clawing tells me that the soil is a bit hot. I would suggest water only sparingly and see what happens. The thrips mentioned isn't ideal either. Maybe sprinkle some DM earth over your topsoil as preventative and don't fiddle with the plant too much. I had a similar issue and as soon as i just let her go, she recovered perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Fire! 1

Wow all the girls in the grow except one is having this issue ....this is really crazy , everything screams that it's the light but it's almost a meter above the plants and it's at 25% only . I'm at a loss.

IMG-20221010-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20221010-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20221010-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20221010-WA0012.jpg

Edited by SuMi
  • Like 1

It's so weird I haven't fed them since last week . I'm using EHG nutrients which I always have , it's my first time growing clones. I thought they where big enough and rooted enough to give them a full dose of Nutes . I will give them just ph'd water for the next 2 feeds when I do water and see what happens . I'm just confused that the one girl is so happy with life and the rest are not. 🤒

• Like 2

are they all clones from the same mom? if not, you can't expect same from each plant. 

you doing full synthetic or half synthetic half organic? 

I kinda don't know shit about synthetics lol but the canoeing on the one plant and the clawing on the other plant and as you said the light is at 25% and way high... all kinda suggests nutes then. what are the highest temps you get there? heat stress without light can also cause canoeing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

are they all clones from the same mom? if not, you can't expect same from each plant. 

you doing full synthetic or half synthetic half organic? 

I kinda don't know shit about synthetics lol but the canoeing on the one plant and the clawing on the other plant and as you said the light is at 25% and way high... all kinda suggests nutes then. what are the highest temps you get there? heat stress without light can also cause canoeing. 

Doing half and half ....not fully sure about room temp ...should have an idea tomorrow ...but for sure I'm not over 28 degrees. And no they are not from the same plant...have 6 different strains , 5 of them with this problem . However they where all from the same place.

Edited by SuMi
  • Like 1

What soil? Or did you answer that question. Right now, can't tell you what caused the issue.. except ^^ your soil was to hot.

When I panic I usually do the same, I flush the soil and go for a new start. Proper flush, give 3-5 times the pot size water (rain water or if not available pH'ed water) and let it run through the pot. Shake dry as good as you can after and see what the plants do. Let the pots dry out properly before you feed again, can take a week or longer. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@SuMi with different genetics you can't really compare them this way, there's just too much nutrients present for the individuals that are reacting like this. 

when using synthetic nutes it's recommended to start in inert medium, meaning something that has 0.0 nutrients. 

I am helping a friend grow, and it's taking him some time to get around the fact that each individual plant needs different things at different times. He grew a batch of 6 plants, 2 strains - 3 clones of each. Even in his situation where he had plants cloned from the same mother who all asked for different nutrients at different times... he regularly gives the plants the blame when there is something wrong, I go over and ask why there is one plant showing claws? He sais the plant has been doing that because it's crazy and it doesn't wana stop doing it 😅 🤦‍♂️ then I tell him well if you gave less N it would stop doing it, no point in calling the plant crazy 🤣🤣 He was under the imression that they all get the exact same all the time... which is wrong and where big problems come from. 

It's just that with clones the uniformity is a bit easier to achieve than with mix genetics. if it's all different strains you gotta look at all the plants as individuals and not all one thing. this will lead to toxicities and deficiencies in synthetic grows and organic grows. 

I would also suggest, choose either synthetic or organic grow. the two don't mix well together. It's a trendy new thing, but in all reality, they shouldn't be mixed. Synthetic nutes kill microbes defeating the purpose of organic nutrients that need to be broken down by microbes. Organic and salt nutrients can very easily cause root damage because organic soil holds onto salt nutrients and can build up in soil much quicker than in a coco/hydro medium where you flush out old nutes almost everytime you water the build up doesn't happen as easily cause you giving just what the plant needs and it uses most of that salts, ans in organic soil it focuses not on the nutrients, but rather what the soil does with the nutrients. if you add salts to that you slow down that process. It's just not ideal. 

I agree with Prom, flush the pots don't worry about organic stuff now, afterward stick to the synthetic nutrients, treat it like a full hydro grow.  

I would suggest full organic in future 😉 

• Like 3

Using chemical feeding on soil is nothing wrong to do.. you just make your life one shitload more complicated doing so. PH will always be a concern and you have to put your feeding solution at the perfect spot. If you go organic, you can dump all those pH tools and simply feed. The microbes in the soil will handle your pH.. if you feed chemical/synthetic, you kill them and need to sort the pH yourself. Soil = Organic, Hydro = Chemical, Coco = when confused ^^ And please.. if somebody has a good case for Coco.. i would like to hear it. Till this day I do not know why i would use coco to grow in, i might miss something essential. 

Never used it, so had to quickly read up. Yeah.. i wouldn't use EHG in soil, that stuff looks to be designed for hydro and as usual offered the poor grower as solution for everything.. ^^ just not soil, to much hassle to use such a product, to many unneeded points you can screw over with no real reason. Like using organics in deep water culture, your grow room will smell worse then a sewage treatment plant.. noooo ^^ you go chemicals without smell.

I go with @Naughty.Psychonaut go full organic if you wanna stick with soil.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Prom said:

What soil? Or did you answer that question. Right now, can't tell you what caused the issue.. except ^^ your soil was to hot.

When I panic I usually do the same, I flush the soil and go for a new start. Proper flush, give 3-5 times the pot size water (rain water or if not available pH'ed water) and let it run through the pot. Shake dry as good as you can after and see what the plants do. Let the pots dry out properly before you feed again, can take a week or longer. 

Apologies , using freedom farms Formula 1 . I haven't fed since the problem started .

• Like 2

Thank you @Naughty.Psychonaut and @Prom . I think i found the issue the room was getting too about 35 when i tested . Left the room door open with a fan facing out of the room to pull hot air our ...seems like the room had poor ventilation. I really really thank you guys I think I will just stick with the synthetic feed for now as I am very comfortable with this . See pics for the last grow I did with the ehg. I'm very proud of this white widow lol .

20200614_193240.jpg

20200703_095049.jpg

20200618_153245.jpg

20200713_121458.jpg

20200823_122811.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Prom said:

OK.. Coco.. sorry ^^ can't help you with that, i never grew a single plant in Coco base. All i can say.. hope you did the pH right of the feeding solution. Got your pen calibrated again?

Thank you prom , sorry about my panic lol Its just my first time growing clones , and I didn't want the problem to get to a point where I couldn't get the babies back from.

• Like 3

Seed or clones doesn't really matter. Main difference is that clones will need support, seed plants usually don't, if you don't train em. 

As you said, after some years.. get your pH pen checked, just to be sure. They like to go off over time and need recalibration. PH is the point fucking you over most with chemical feeding.

^^ was a bit more as 27 degrees 😉 Just remember.. you shouldn't go over 30 at any time during your grow. Flower likes it max 26... over your terpenes will suffer. 

With a cooler room, the plants should be back to normal within a week. Put the light back where it belongs 😉 they should have 400-600 micromole PAR on em now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't have Whats App.. or Facebook.. or Instagram.. or what ever ^^ i enjoy my privacy. 😎

If you send me a PM here, i get a notification and answer as soon as possible... isn't usually within 5 minutes.. but also not longer then a day in general.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Naughty.Psychonaut said:

@SuMi do you have sufficient FAE in that grow space? If you say there is poor ventilation, a lack of fresh air may also suffocate your leaves and a proper FAE will keep your temps from getting much higher than it is outside. 

do you run your lights at night or during the day?

Lights are on till 11pm ....then switch on again at 5am

• Like 2