Newbie grower!

maRAUjuana

Hi All

Newbie grower, long time smoker here that has siphoned off the forum's wisdom the last week or so. Just started my first ever grow last week, have big bud in grow bags with living soil outdoors.
Got some Freedom Farms premium classic and black strap molasses to feed the soil when the time comes, but would like some advice with what you knowledgeable folk would deem as the "essentials". For example, I am looking at Nutrigold's range of nutes, any good? What Soil PH meter is worth my while, how much should I worry about the "hardness" of my water and any other advise would be very welcome.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

• Like 3

On 9/6/2022 at 1:51 PM, maRAUjuana said:

Hi All

Newbie grower, long time smoker here that has siphoned off the forum's wisdom the last week or so. Just started my first ever grow last week, have big bud in grow bags with living soil outdoors.
Got some Freedom Farms premium classic and black strap molasses to feed the soil when the time comes, but would like some advice with what you knowledgeable folk would deem as the "essentials". For example, I am looking at Nutrigold's range of nutes, any good? What Soil PH meter is worth my while, how much should I worry about the "hardness" of my water and any other advise would be very welcome.

Welcome!

Ok, first off sounds like you're in Jhb. If you're going organic, which it sounds like you have with the 'living soil', then use organic nutes and not salt based nutes like Nutrigold. Look at Bud Juice's range, BioBizz's range or B'Cuzz's range of organic nutes. A two part nute is usually best because it's simplest to use.

Don't waste money on a soil PH meter, get an all-in-one pen (EC/PH/PPM) and that will do everything you need. Buy once, cry once (they're not cheap). Then you'll need PH Down and PH Up to maintain a decent PH. A microbe solution like EM Pro Soil is great for additional microbials in your soil.

Look up 'pinching'/'topping' and how to do it. Some LST (Low Stress Training) will help your plant get better coverage and spread out wider.

Oh and get a quality pressure sprayer, like the Gardena one. Spray your plants once they get to about their 3rd/4th set of leaves with a good organic pesticide to keep the bugs off. Keep spraying regularly.

That's it! Simple as that 😉

Edited by Weedeater_ZA
  • Like 1

Welcome @maRAUjuana

First, DON'T PUT PH UP AND DOWN IN ORGANIC SITUATIONS.... you could, but that makes it no longer organic and a drop of it literally wipes out half your microbes and bacteria. those chemicals are stroooooong that's why a drop can make such a big difference. Rather use organic substances to either raise or drop ph in an organic grow. organic ph up = bicarbonate of soda. organic ph down = 100% lemon juice. 

On the topic of the ph pen itself.... I would rather suggest getting a ph or a ppm pen respectively. 

As with all electronics in life if it's a "one thing that can do it all" situation it tends to be lesser quality. I mean you can guage this off just the price, buy cheap you shoot yourself in the foot. Buy the right thing you'll only need to pay once. This is why you wont find a company like blue labs with a "one pen that can do it all". They have many different tools that can do one specific job very well.  

with both the ph or the ppm you obviously never want inaccurate readings. so quality is key here..... even with quality you'll hear with the very very best quality ph probes they need to be calibrated regularly, because their accuracy swing with use. the cheaper quality you go the quicker your accuracy will go out the window. 

I have heard of countless growers buying cheap ph/ppm probes just to toss them after a grow or two, because they realise how inaccurate they are and if you have inaccurate readings you'll cause more problems than anything. it's also impractical to have to calibrate a pen with every use just to make sure it's still accurate.

I got the bluelabs ph pen and the ppm pen, I use them, because they have helped me a lot more than any human has, although in organic situations every second grower will break their heads over the fact that they believe you shouldn't test your organic soil 🤦‍♂️ just look past those people... let them not test their soils.... we'll see who has the last laugh 😅😅

I'm an organic grower and use my ph pen once a grow, sometimes I skip over it and only once every second or third grow depending on what I did with my soil before going to use it.... I use my ppm pen way more often. couple times a grow sometimes with a guarentee runoff ppm test of the soil I cooked before transplanting into final pots. I make AACT from time to time, have to test the ppm before I give it. getting into KNF will have to do a lot more testing on my side. 

I would suggest BioBizz, Grow, Fish and Bloom as your nutrient line. if you think of reusing the soil in future, I would suggest keeping it alive by regularly adding microbes and microbe food. this will form a symbiosis in your rootzone and help break down any nutritive compounds that are not yet accessible for uptake through the roots, and make it accessible.

Microbes - there are many many many inoculant products, you can choose any mycorrhizae product. 

Food for microbes - there are already some in the organic nutrients you'll be using, plus a good topdress of worm castings about 3 times a grow. the molasses you got there is a super food for your microbes. then look into KNF (korean natural farming) you get all kinds of microbe bombs you can make at home with resources you probably already have... Actively Aerated Compost Teas. Sprouted Seed Teas. Fermented Plant Juice. Lactobacillus Acid Bacteria Serum..... so many

• Like 2

On 9/6/2022 at 1:51 PM, maRAUjuana said:

Hi All

Welcome ^^

You using Tap water?

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and advice, it is much appreciated.

I have decided to go with Freedom Farms Microlife, Kelp, Probiotics and will be getting their Fire juice for flowering stage. Also watering with filtered water. And will be looking into the PH Pen as per the suggestions. I have not seen any good reviews or experiences of the cheaper ones.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome @maRAUjuana
First, DON'T PUT PH UP AND DOWN IN ORGANIC SITUATIONS.... you could, but that makes it no longer organic and a drop of it literally wipes out half your microbes and bacteria. those chemicals are stroooooong that's why a drop can make such a big difference. Rather use organic substances to either raise or drop ph in an organic grow. organic ph up = bicarbonate of soda. organic ph down = 100% lemon juice. 
On the topic of the ph pen itself.... I would rather suggest getting a ph or a ppm pen respectively. 
As with all electronics in life if it's a "one thing that can do it all" situation it tends to be lesser quality. I mean you can guage this off just the price, buy cheap you shoot yourself in the foot. Buy the right thing you'll only need to pay once. This is why you wont find a company like blue labs with a "one pen that can do it all". They have many different tools that can do one specific job very well.  
with both the ph or the ppm you obviously never want inaccurate readings. so quality is key here..... even with quality you'll hear with the very very best quality ph probes they need to be calibrated regularly, because their accuracy swing with use. the cheaper quality you go the quicker your accuracy will go out the window. 
I have heard of countless growers buying cheap ph/ppm probes just to toss them after a grow or two, because they realise how inaccurate they are and if you have inaccurate readings you'll cause more problems than anything. it's also impractical to have to calibrate a pen with every use just to make sure it's still accurate.
I got the bluelabs ph pen and the ppm pen, I use them, because they have helped me a lot more than any human has, although in organic situations every second grower will break their heads over the fact that they believe you shouldn't test your organic soil just look past those people... let them not test their soils.... we'll see who has the last laugh
I'm an organic grower and use my ph pen once a grow, sometimes I skip over it and only once every second or third grow depending on what I did with my soil before going to use it.... I use my ppm pen way more often. couple times a grow sometimes with a guarentee runoff ppm test of the soil I cooked before transplanting into final pots. I make AACT from time to time, have to test the ppm before I give it. getting into KNF will have to do a lot more testing on my side. 
I would suggest BioBizz, Grow, Fish and Bloom as your nutrient line. if you think of reusing the soil in future, I would suggest keeping it alive by regularly adding microbes and microbe food. this will form a symbiosis in your rootzone and help break down any nutritive compounds that are not yet accessible for uptake through the roots, and make it accessible.
Microbes - there are many many many inoculant products, you can choose any mycorrhizae product. 
Food for microbes - there are already some in the organic nutrients you'll be using, plus a good topdress of worm castings about 3 times a grow. the molasses you got there is a super food for your microbes. then look into KNF (korean natural farming) you get all kinds of microbe bombs you can make at home with resources you probably already have... Actively Aerated Compost Teas. Sprouted Seed Teas. Fermented Plant Juice. Lactobacillus Acid Bacteria Serum..... so many
On the ph up and down....hopefully Biobizz ph up and down will land in ZA soon

https://www.biobizz.com/producto/bioup/
https://www.biobizz.com/producto/biodown/
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thelazyfishermanza said:

On the ph up and down....hopefully Biobizz ph up and down will land in ZA soon

https://www.biobizz.com/producto/bioup/
https://www.biobizz.com/producto/biodown/

My PH from the tap is 8.8 😲 So I normally get water for the girls from Newlands spring which they love.

When I don't get time to or run out of spring water. I PH down the tap water with fulvates which works great. I have also used a few drops of bokashi tea as a PH down with success. Both being organic. I am just not sure if its a good long term solution using either daily. But in a pinch works 100% for once or twice a week.

• Like 1

My PH from the tap is 8.8  So I normally get water for the girls from Newlands spring which they love.
When I don't get time to or run out of spring water. I PH down the tap water with fulvates which works great. I have also used a few drops of bokashi tea as a PH down with success. Both being organic. I am just not sure if its a good long term solution using either daily. But in a pinch works 100% for once or twice a week.
I have to pass Newlands springs to fetch my wife. So I'm super excited about that

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1