Project "Alice" - Testing grounds

CG420za

Hi bud

If you flip now and the other 2 turn out to be males your screens going to be really empty and there will be a lot of wasted grow space. What size pots are they in? 

As for Epson salts and feeding I honestly can't help you on that , you are now moving into the world of hydro and my knowledge is very limited on it. Last time I used Epson lasts was years ago...

Cheers

GLO

Yeah, I figured I might run into that issue. Wasted grow space and so on. I'm not sure about the capacity in liters, I just know they're 20cm pots. I have an empty one I can measure tonight.

Ok, I think I'll do another nute feed and see how it goes, but I recon if I'll flip them on Sunday. It was meant to be a test grow anyways.

As for my grow medium, all of these plant were started in JGS, then potted up into CCPS. If I used Biobizz instead of Nutriplex, would the grow still be considered "organic"?

Also, do you think I can feed with some the epsom salts solution again?  I fed epsom and water on Wednesday, nutes on Friday and again yesterday. They're due for watering tomorrow again.

Hey CK. Espom is great but using too much will cause salt build up which will throw your PH all over the place. Maybe use it every 4th feed. Do you ever water with just PHed water no nutes? It's good to alternate waterings with clean water and water mixed with nutes. You'll also get salt build up from the Nutriplex(or any chemical nutrient) if you don't flush your coco regularly.

This is what you should consider supplementing with instead of epsom. It's what I use now in hydro http://growguru.co.za/shop/cal-mag-calcium-magnesium-supplement/

Also, do you think I can feed with some the epsom salts solution again?  I fed epsom and water on Wednesday, nutes on Friday and again yesterday. They're due for watering tomorrow again.

Hey CK. Espom is great but using too much will cause salt build up which will throw your PH all over the place. Maybe use it every 4th feed. Do you ever water with just PHed water no nutes? It's good to alternate waterings with clean water and water mixed with nutes. You'll also get salt build up from the Nutriplex(or any chemical nutrient) if you don't flush your coco regularly.

This is what you should consider supplementing with instead of epsom. It's what I use now in hydro http://growguru.co.za/shop/cal-mag-calcium-magnesium-supplement/

Shot @420SA, I have that CalMag, but no instructions... Pointers please :)

I do water with plain water between feeds. This is the 1st time I've watered with nutes consecutively. My tap water's pH is around 6.8, my medium's pH is the same.

Well it were me in this situation this is what I would do but remember I am an organic nut lol. 

Top dress with a supersoil with mainly worms casting , then water with aact containing amino acids and humic acids and trace elements. Then get biobizz grow and bloom and carry on an organic routine. . 

Just my 2 cents

I woulda loved to be an organic nut too, but sadly this route was cheaper... On the up side, I'll be attempting an organic grow in future. I'm busy sorting out my soil and so on, my worms are doing their thing, but for now, it'll have to be the nutriplex route.

So what do you say? FLIP?

Guest kimcarsons

That really does not make sense unless you are running one massive operation. I can't believe ionic nutrients are cheaper than soil growing for so few plants. Soil is basically infinite and really requires far less money in the long run.

I reckon if you're in an apartment or don't have much garden space, hydro growing is the better option to me. Hydro is much cleaner cos there isn't really any "dirt" to deal with. A blessing when your grow room has a carpet and you're anal about cleanliness...

As skolley says you need the outside space element to be able to get the best out of an organic grow, unless you're getting your soil premixed like from Jamies GS. You need the space to mix soils, do composting whether its worm farming or a compost heap and a place for your soil to cook.

Hydro growing can be expensive but it doesn't necessarily have to be. At hortishop you can get those powdered nute packs for 60 bucks which aren't as good as Nutriplex but they aren't bad either. At the end of the day both methods are way cheaper than buying bud :yipeeee

@kimcarsons, the initial layout with organics is pricey. Especially if you wanna go completely organic. Soil needs to be cooked and so on. Maybe my next grow will be organic, but only time will tell. My bokashi composter is about half way, once that's full, I'll start my soil. Earthworms are shitting up a storm, so I'm closer to organics than I was in the beginning.

Right now, what I'd like to know is, should I flip them yet?

• 2 weeks later...

So over the last few days I've been battling with what I thought was a CalMag deficiency, but when I noticed shit was getting worse I did some more research. Turns out I have a pH issue... and a rather kak one at that. Possibly even lock out.

Measured the medium on Monday. pH was around 6.8 with a shitty meter, so I've been flushing since then, +-10 liters a day with water pH'd to roughly 5.8 with the shitty meter. So far, so good, they're looking better than before, colour seems to be coming back. The pH is now roughly 6.2

The leaves I plucked this evening. The reading's from Monday

IMG_20160222_193914.thumb.jpg.b10602c53ca0881abfdae98ea7f7cad3.jpg

IMG_20160225_181642.thumb.jpg.851c37affe620d52937cf7de2bc4e08d.jpg

IMG_20160222_193752.thumb.jpg.90b533d24b0ea5947beb2080edccfb38.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine @Skolley. Those leaves do look like one of those google searches. I'll investigate some more, but I haven't seen any bugs of any sort in my cab to date. I check under the screen everyday coz I have to tuck often. Anything special I should be looking for? Shot for spotting it.

Hey man how have u been testing the pH of the water/nutrients u been putting in? Was it with that meter?

I have physically seen those type of meters which I think are mainly advertised for soil if I'm not mistaken, be off by a whole point!

I had one before I purchased my digital pen and made the decision to invest in the digital pen before going forward with hydro nutes.