Nutrient rabbit hole - Canna Cribs

Chris Jay

An unreal show about nutrients from a formulation chemist. Nick Morin from Canna Cribs sits down with George Murray of Ventana Plant Science to discuss some of the important chemistry that goes into formulating a nutrient line. Whats even more interesting, at the end of the show they discuss a step by step guide to formulate your own nutrition program.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris Jay said:

Awesome, glad you enjoyed the post. It helped me alot and mainly help me to stick to soil. No ball aches ever with soil less environments. Like the guy says, "Way more efficient, but dangerous!".

Wait, you lost me.

Are you saying no issues with soil, or with the soil-less mediums like hydro and coco and so forth?

I want to watch the video, sounds interesting but no time at the moment - will try watch tomorrow.

I find more people experience issues with soil, although probably due to everyone trying to launch their own soil lines and not having much of a clue about getting it done properly and consistently. Just trying to ride the gravy train and make some quick $$$

On 7/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, Chris Jay said:

Yes, less room for error with soilless, thats why it can be dangerous.

Hmm, yes and no.

I really feel it depends on what you are using, if one is using plain coco (with or without perlite) and using some good nutes such as GHE, simply PHing your feed correctly and following the feeding chart on the bottle gets you pretty much where you need to be without issues and consistency will be phenomenal. Very simple and easy. Although if you try do your own thing and are not 100% sure about what you are doing, it can be dangerous and you can quickly run into issues - but the issues can generally be fixed quickly too.

When using soil, there are soo many variables. Whatever the compost is being made of will change the composition of the nutes in the soil and slight tweaks to the quality of the amendments and other ingredients being added to the soil mix will change it. Consistency is not always there, the bigger soil brands are typically a bit better with their consistency ("cannabis soil"). Then the differences between soil brands is huuuuge and will cause all sorts of issues if one purchases an inferior soil.

However with a good soil, there is often more room for error as underfeeding can be supplemented by the nutes in the soil and they often add amendments to help buffer the soil (not perfect) and so forth.

I think for me, the inconsistency and never quite knowing with soil is what leads me to go for coco, along with the quicker growth and coco being a cheaper medium (store bought soil vs store bought coco). If something is consistent, even if it is not perfect (not saying this is the case), you at least know and can work around it and plan for it.

Inconsistencies introduce a whole new ball game into play and the it becomes are bigger challenge and are often a lot more difficult to pin point and remedy.

So I guess to sum it up. There are pros and cons to both.

Coco can offer better consistency than soil, can be super easy to grow in although when experimenting or not following what works you can run into issues quickly. I like to think of Coco as a blank canvas.

Soil on the other hand, consistency can be pretty good too and offers a buffer of sorts but if shit hits the fan, it can often be more difficult to pin point the cause of the issue and remedy it. Perhaps more of a bicycle with training wheels, when the wheels fall off it can be a bit chaotic.

Ultimately, you need to know what you are doing and what you are working with. Experience will ensure one can pick up on issues quickly as well as pin point them and remedy them.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1