[Phantom] 12 Plant Solo Cup SOG experiment - with free giveaway if you can guess something...

Trickerst

Intro

Whoever can guess my final yield(wet trimmed) will get a set of 4 of my favorite fem'd strains

It's been a while! I've still been growing - just not posting.

Firstly must definitely shout out to @Totemic for always having great strains. Basically all my grows are from his stock.

Had an amazing bubble berry glue pheno that yielded like crazy and went a beautiful deep purple. I only have a photo of a clone I let flower in it's solo before I knew the pheno was so good (sorry no photos pf it going purple).
Copy.thumb.jpg.2b876af16c5ad118424780a509bd767e.jpg

It made a fat xmas tree nugget, which was kind of the inspiration for this experiment - mind you my hands are 23cm from palm to finger tips so that is like 12cm bud that is around 8cm wide - dont have the weight of it because I forgot to record it in my journals.
380706588_Copy2.thumb.jpg.7d1ba8a51689cacdc14d1e216771fc75.jpg

I thought, why spend months in veg and training when I could do some SOG with much quicker turn arounds - and amazing looking buds??

Growing Areas
Flowering chamber will be my Phantom Cabinet, details here:

Vegging will be minimal so I will do it in my space buckets (design you can see here):

The buckets have done some pretty impressive grows just by themselves - not quite on par with the cab but close enough to be surprising.

I now have 2 buckets - I will be using two for the vegging of clones and perhaps a third for the mother.

Lighting (thanks @CreX)

Lighting   Lighting Calculations
COBs x Vero 29 SE 3500K   Per COB Overall
Driver HLG-240H-C2100B   lm/w 143  
Heatsink (mm) 500x150   Watts 79 237
Fan 92mm 12v   umols/J 1.94  
Number of Cobs 3   Driverloss 10%  
FV 37.6   PPF 138 414
Amps 2.1   PPFD 539 1618
      DLI (12h) 23 70

I'll be aiming it for 60DLI (late flower) using a lux meter and then doing conversions shown above. Should be around about correct.

SOG Setup

I drilled into a plastic tray to hold 12 solo cups, just a side note when using a 76mm holesaw on a powerful drill: very easy to break your wrist if you do it wrong.

1672087555_20210502_211630-Copy.thumb.jpg.846b51fefd431f0f476e9b1794f5b791.jpg

1404214338_20210502_211624-Copy.thumb.jpg.c7622d4ab91c0826d51428bbdc336efd.jpg

Growing Medium:

For medium I will be using FF Classic, but I will be enriching the water (lightly) I use with some NPK to make sure they dont run out of nutes.

Nutes and Auto-Watering:

For watering I am still busy building the system, but basically the same concept as an octabubbler, except Im going to take a bit of PVC pipe and stick a bunch of 5/6mm irrigation hose connecters into it (12 to be exact) and have each solo cup connected to one.
I will be using a pump with a wifi switch to auto water them. I will start with once every 3 days and as the roots develop move the timer to once and even twice a day. (I'll adjust depending on how the soil looks)

Nice thing about the cups being elevated is that they will drain freely prevent buildup.

Genetics:

6x Bubble Berry Glue (@Totemic) if my clones are ready in time

6x Sugar Cane Deluxe by In House Genetics from seed

Concerns

Will still be about a month before flower starts at least - probably longer. Want to try get two grows in before October

Logic here is that while the plants are in the last 4 weeks of flower I will already have clones growing that will be ready to flip into flower as soon as I harvest the first batch.

Yields - no idea so curious to see what you all think!

Edited by Trickerst
Lighting info
  • Like 2

Howzit CreX

Update the original post with my lighting info, but here it is:

FV 37.6   PPF 138 414
Amps 2.1   PPFD 539 1618
      DLI (12h) 23 70

Basically I will dial it in to get around 60DLI - no point in being much over.

Dry is just a follow on of wet weight, guys can guess dry weight too if they want.

Edited by Trickerst
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trickerst said:

Howzit CreX

FV 37.6   PPF 138 414
Amps 2.1   PPFD 539 1618
      DLI (12h) 23 70

Dry is just a follow on of wet weight, guys can guess dry weight too if they want.

Seems legit..

do you have a quantam sensor to get accurate DLI measurments?

@PsyCLown

A DLI of 60 is really high man, the figures I have seen is generally around 20 for veg and then around 40 for flower.

Higher than that and one generally wants to be running CO2 as well.

To put things into perspective, 12 hours of flower and the below table is the PPFD and DLI.

PPFD : DLI

700:  30.24

800 :  34.56

900 :  38.88

1000 :  43.20

Over 1000 umol requires CO2 supplementation for the plants to make use of the extra lighting and be able to benefit from it.

EDIT: A DLI of 60 is 1400 umol for 12 hours, really high output and a waste if you are not running CO2.

My 2c, give the plants less light and save some electricity.

Edited by PsyCLown
Added extra info
  • Like 1

Howzit @PsyCLown

Yeah I know, the light I have is stupid powerful for my space.

Honestly I tend to go as high as the plants can handle. Which is usually around 60/70% of my light's capacity.

Let's just put it this way, light is not the limiting factor here. I know the bottlenecking of light vs. nutes vs. CO2 very well as I have planted tanks with CO2 injection - it's just doing it for grows is a lot more complex.

Edited by Trickerst
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trickerst said:

Howzit CreX

FV 37.6   PPF 138 414
Amps 2.1   PPFD 539 1618
      DLI (12h) 23 70

Very nice specs, i see you going big :-stoned

@PsyCLown

Will be using my Phantom Cab as per the linked post - but here are my internals:

Internals
Depth (mm) 425
Width (mm) 550
Height (mm) 1164
m^2 0.23
m^3 0.27
ft^2 2.52
ft^3 9.61

Haha @Marzcanna thanks, yeah I've run her through a few grows and she's done really well. As big as you can go for a little cabinet.

I'd like to add some upgrades this time - want to throw in an IR thermometer to get the canopy temp (also allows me to see when the plants have absorbed as much light for the day as they can - temp spikes around 2-3 degrees at this point), and a nice wideangle cam for timelapse shots

Edited by Trickerst
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Trickerst said:

@PsyCLown

Will be using my Phantom Cab as per the linked post - but here are my internals:

Internals
Depth (mm) 425
Width (mm) 550
Height (mm) 1164
m^2 0.23
m^3 0.27
ft^2 2.52
ft^3 9.61

Haha @Marzcanna thanks, yeah I've run her through a few grows and she's done really well. As big as you can go for a little cabinet.

I'd like to add some upgrades this time - want to throw in an IR thermometer to get the canopy temp (also allows me to see when the plants have absorbed as much light for the day as they can - temp spikes around 2-3 degrees at this point), and a nice wideangle cam for timelapse shots

What cam you thinking about because the one i got was total rubbish thinking i was getting something good 😔 so Im looking for something better

2 minutes ago, Trickerst said:

@PsyCLown

Internals
Depth (mm) 425
Width (mm) 550
Height (mm) 1164
m^2 0.23
m^3 0.27
ft^2 2.52
ft^3 9.61

Haha, hectic amount of light for that space.

Never knew the temps spike once the plants have reached the most light they can absorb for the day - learnt something new 😄 

Might as well adjust the timer cycle then accordingly too, save some electricity and lifespan on your lights.

Keen to see how this turns out, in terms of weight - I have no clue about wet weight as I have never measured wet, although dry weight I am going to guess around 110g dry.

Never done a SOG myself with such small pots, so a lot of guess work here with my figure.

• Agree 1

Just now, PsyCLown said:

Haha, hectic amount of light for that space.

Never knew the temps spike once the plants have reached the most light they can absorb for the day - learnt something new 😄 

Might as well adjust the timer cycle then accordingly too, save some electricity and lifespan on your lights.

Keen to see how this turns out, in terms of weight - I have no clue about wet weight as I have never measured wet, although dry weight I am going to guess around 110g dry.

Never done a SOG myself with such small pots, so a lot of guess work here with my figure.

Well, from what've read about the temps. Might be broscience, will try anyway.

And yeah that is the plan!

Im also probably going to upgrade my ventilation, as I currently just have a powerful PC fan pulling my extraction. It works well, and by calculation it should be fine - but lets see.