Coco's first grow

Guest Cocopeat

Guest Cocopeat

Hey everyone 

Some pics of the progress. 

I seem to be struggling with the DWC. I changed the res earlier, and I've moved it to the flower cab, under the 600 w dual spec. The girls are still a little yellow, but root hairs have appeared out of the coco. This is how I prep the res:

20 lt RO water

Add calmag to ppm: 200

Add Nutriplex G/M/B (equal amounts) to total ppm: 450 

Ph to 5.5

Let's see if the new solution makes an improvement.

If I'm doing something wrong, please point it out to me!

The Nutriplex grow and micro have precipitated, and I've twice tried to re-dissolve the salts by heating the bottles, and shaking, but doesn't make a difference. I'm not convinced that Nutriplex is a quality nutrient. It's not registered anywhere, it's a knockoff of General Hydroponic's Flora range, but what quality controls are in place? The only support you get with it is: fuckall. There isn't even a phone number for the manufacturer. OK, get in touch with GTHydro, they'll tell you the truth- yeah right. The colour of the solutions on the store shelves isn't even consistent. Go look at GTHydro, if you are able. 

Yes, this is my frustration talking, but based on the above facts, I wouldn't recommend Nutriplex to any new grower. Rather pay more for a nutrient with a good track record, ample support, and a manufacturer you can phone, even if they are abroad.

The soil girls are coming along surprisingly well! Even the ones that don't look good are growing. I've continued with the Nutrifeed, and they're not dead. I give 10 ml RO water with 350 ppm Nutrifeed to each, daily.

:-peace

image.thumb.jpg.0a065b37c0952d5bb75dc29bf33717d9.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.96e609571823f97eb55562ba64ed2b59.jpg

Hi bud

I won't comment on the hydro plants as they just aren't my thing but what medium did you put those seedlings into? I personally would put a lot of the blame on those jiffy pellets... don't know why everyone loves using them... those things have a ph of 4.2! Know cannabis I know likes a ph like that. Also be carefull  you can kill with to much love for your plants. Sometimes less is more.

We have all been here bud and we all have to start somewhere.

So my 2 cents on the organic seedlings is ph issues  more than likely brought on by the peat being 4.2 but at least they growing

Guest Maxwell

CP it may well be worth your time to start over. What you are experiencing now is playing catch-up, the plants were shocked from the massive swings in nutrient levels, dropping the nutes to nothing is not the solution. DWC won't be forgiving if you are always behind. Try starting the beans in the tub. As for your ppm/EC, the average probe won't measure that low. I just focus on EC because ppm seems like a pointless exercise...

Guest Maxwell

It isn't a train smash at all. Pop the cube in the pot and plant. Run the tub and the roots should shoot straight for the tub. Don't top feed or anything, the cube will stay moist enough. Start with plain water and little bit of bloom, like .25ml per l.

I wouldn't gamble with those GHS nutes in soil. GHS may say that the nutes can be used in soil but GHS like to make a lot of money too. What's the harm to them if a few soil growers buy their product and then realise that it doesn't work in soil...they've already made their bit of cash off someone who wasn't meant to buy their nutes in the first place.

Also that 5.7 PH is most likely recommended for Hydro growing 

:-peace

Sorry about that CP. That is issue is a pest! Been trying to sort that out. In the mean time if you make a huge post either copy the post before you hit Post or sometimes if you've clicked post and you get logged out, just click the Back button and you'll be taken back to your post, copy that and make sure you are logged in. Also when logging choose Forever or make it at least 2 hours.

Your plants don't look terrible by any means no. Just stop using those GHS in the soil would be my  :-2cents

I've seen people have good results in hydro with those nutes though!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, so I'm getting to the end of this first grow.

I need a little guidance on when to harvest. The three girls are at slightly different stages though.

I'm checking trichs, but what a mission!

I guess I'm just asking if the following seems about right?

Pics 1,2,5&6: the most mature- thinking she's coming down this weekend, trichs are clear/ cloudy.

Pic 3: next in line- prolly gonna cut her next week

Pic 4: I recon gonna go another week

@Skollie How are the trichomes looking a week later? I found this picture online which I will eventually use as a guide! I personally like my herb to give the head high! 8-)  So my choice will be the cloudy trichomes for harvesting! :-meditate

trichome_maturity_guide.jpg.436bcf1a10b7ef0d63a82114e9db14e0.jpg

Hey SSA

Still waiting to see any meaningful amount of amber trichs on this plant.

I'm with you on the head high preference, but have also read how important it is for the plant to develop its full terpene bouquet.

I'll be happy if I can cut with 10/20% amber. Hopefully that will happen over this weekend.

I'll post some more pics later

:poke:-peace:-meditate

Guest OnlyTheGood

You are definitely within the acceptable harvest window, some strains won't amber up as readily as others, you can get great smoke from clear and cloudy trichomes..

Hi bud

Some ladies do not like going amber and have to be left a long time to amber up. The fact that one lady is putting out nanners tells me she is at the end of her life and won't get to the amber phase. I personally would put her in the dark for 48h and harvest. At this stage unless you have some young ladies in there I wouldn't worry about seeds.

Cheers

Reaf

Hi bud

Some ladies do not like going amber and have to be left a long time to amber up. The fact that one lady is putting out nanners tells me she is at the end of her life and won't get to the amber phase. I personally would put her in the dark for 48h and harvest. At this stage unless you have some young ladies in there I wouldn't worry about seeds.

Cheers

Reaf

I agree Reaf! Harvest it! :)

:-flyinghi