White fuzz on germinating seed

Slartibarfast

Hi, found this white fuzz on a germinating auto seed after about 5 days of germination. It's been in a damp paper towel and sealed ziploc bag for the last 2 days or so.

Recoverable or a right off? The root seems to be growing still since when I checked it this morning.9bd83e4f90800173146e2fd65bceb7c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I have never had that happen to me before. I assume you used plain tap water and nothing else?

I'd be skeptical, the last thing you want is to end up affecting the rest of your grow - if its just the one seed and one plants. It may be worth a shot and putting it into your medium.

Perhaps someone else can give some more feedback on what this might be. I am going to assume some mold / disease of sorts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

Hi, found this white fuzz on a germinating auto seed after about 5 days of germination. It's been in a damp paper towel and sealed ziploc bag for the last 2 days or so.

Recoverable or a right off? The root seems to be growing still since when I checked it this morning.9bd83e4f90800173146e2fd65bceb7c2.jpg

Yea it could be touch and go with the seed. 

That is one of the effects of a dirty seed that got too wet for too long. 

Usually called damping off. 

If the mold is inside the seed, it's done for... If it's just on the shell then it may come through this alive. 

The mold messes up the internals of the seed, turning it into mush. 

As long as your seeds aren't touching each other, then they should be fine. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CreX said:

Yea it could be touch and go with the seed. 

That is one of the effects of a dirty seed that got too wet for too long. 

Usually called damping off. 

If the mold is inside the seed, it's done for... If it's just on the shell then it may come through this alive. 

The mold messes up the internals of the seed, turning it into mush. 

As long as your seeds aren't touching each other, then they should be fine. 

If that is damping off, then you can try using some explogro or trichoderma when soaking the seed as that can help prevent damping off from occurring.

I soak my seeds in distilled water with a drop or two of explogro as it contains trichoderma and then I use that same water to wet the carlton towel before putting it into a ziplock bag. How well it works, I can't say but I have never experienced that issue or had seedlings randomly die.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Slartibarfast said:

Thanks for this. Would the root still grow if the mould got into the shell?

Maybe a tiny bit... But that's all that will grow, inside the seed is likely mushy... If you have some of the explogrow like @PsyCLownmentioned, or a general disinfectant should help aswell, something like H2o2 in a weak solution... 3% should do. 

Maybe a tiny bit... But that's all that will grow, inside the seed is likely mushy... If you have some of the explogrow like @PsyCLownmentioned, or a general disinfectant should help aswell, something like H2o2 in a weak solution... 3% should do. 
I have hydrogen peroxide, would that work? And should I immerse the seed in the solution or just replace the paper towel and moisten the new towel with the solution?

Sorry for all the questions, really thinking I should just start over with a new seed but will try and save this seed if it is possible

Just now, Slartibarfast said:

I have hydrogen peroxide, would that work? And should I immerse the seed in the solution or just replace the paper towel and moisten the new towel with the solution?

Sorry for all the questions, really thinking I should just start over with a new seed but will try and save this seed if it is possible

What strength is the peroxide? You want to replace the paper towel after the soaking in peroxide, normal tap water should be fine on the new paper... 

Going forward, maybe soak your seeds in some h2o2 for a few min before you put them into the tissue, that would reduce the rate of infection considerably. 

I would avoid soaking the paper in h2o2 as when it's covered it takes a lot longer to break down into water and may stay active for too long and damage the seeds.... A quick presoak should do the job 

• Like 1

What strength is the peroxide? You want to replace the paper towel after the soaking in peroxide, normal tap water should be fine on the new paper... 
Going forward, maybe soak your seeds in some h2o2 for a few min before you put them into the tissue, that would reduce the rate of infection considerably. 
I would avoid soaking the paper in h2o2 as when it's covered it takes a lot longer to break down into water and may stay active for too long and damage the seeds.... A quick presoak should do the job 
Awesome, thanks I will do so. I think it's pure hydrogen peroxide, I see online that the go to is a 3% solution with water. I have soaked it and replaced the paper towel. Will see how it goes

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slartibarfast said:

Awesome, thanks I will do so. I think it's pure hydrogen peroxide, I see online that the go to is a 3% solution with water. I have soaked it and replaced the paper towel. Will see how it goes

Pure is highly unlikely... Unless you work at a peroxide plant. The highest grade you could buy off a shelf is 50%, and even a tiny splitter splatter teensy weency droplet is enough to burn your skin very bad. 

Even food grade 35% will burn you very bad. 

If you used it as is you may have gone too strong and killed the seed. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, CreX said:

Pure is highly unlikely... Unless you work at a peroxide plant. The highest grade you could buy off a shelf is 50%, and even a tiny splitter splatter teensy weency droplet is enough to burn your skin very bad. 

Even food grade 35% will burn you very bad. 

If you used it as is you may have gone too strong and killed the seed. 

I second this, will never be pure and there's no reason to need a pure solution anyway - 3% is enough, even then exercise caution

Sorry for the dumb q but why we adding hydrogen peroxide for germinating a seed? Antiseptic?

Otherwise unless you paid thru your ass for the seed, I'd scrap it and start over

Edited by Psylecta
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Psylecta said:

I second this, will never be pure and there's no reason to need a pure solution anyway - 3% is enough, even then exercise caution

Sorry for the dumb q but why we adding hydrogen peroxide for germinating a seed? Antiseptic?

Yes, this germinating seed is damping off and mold is setting in, so he is trying to save it by disinfecting it.. Worth a shot

• Agree 1