Super Soil / Living Soil PH test?

Hi everyone, I mixed my soil a while ago and wonder if I should do a PH test to see whether I am in the right range. Somewhere I read it's not really important to do so with living soil / super soil as the microlive helps to regulate the PH. I do not own anything that I could use to do a test and the tools that would give an accurate reading are a bit expensive.

So far I grew in FF soil and didn't have to bother with PH. I just don’t want to germinate my seeds just to figure out there’s a problem with the PH of my soil mix.

What is your opinion on this? Am I overthinking it?

Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

Just to ask a stupid question... you have drains in those containers?

I prefer to let my soil mix rest on a open pile... mostly against one of the outside walls. Used a textile cloth or plastic sheet with holes to separate from the lawn... not that the patch of lawn survives 😁 good ventilation helps the microbes. I never let it rest in buckets... just a shady spot so it doesnt dry out. Wouldnt cover it with a black foil, sun has punch, that might be to hot and breed fungi... not soil 😋

• Like 1

I have no drains but I make sure no rain can get in and that it is moist in there but not soggy.

Also thought about just making a pile but I am worried that all this rain is going to wash out the nutrients over time so I decided to go with the containers for now. I mix it through every 1-2 weeks to give it some ventilation though.

So far no fungi 😉.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Prom said:

Limped behind the house quick... compost and mixed soil for fun to come

15976509549472693734449892575163.thumb.jpg.63a301dd12236eae67816249a6f91d8b.jpg

I was also busy in the compost this weekend at my dad's place... It's quite a workout turning the pile. 

My dad's been composting some stuff for a good few years now and the stuff we found at the bottom was really beautiful sweet smelling black gold, loaded with earthworms. 

The garden is going to loooove it

• Like 3