Moving from CFL > LED

Nibiru

Hi. long time lurker

I currently use 285w CFL (2 x bulbs, 1 x 85w and 1 x 200w) in a 0.8m x 0.8m x 1.6m tent, planning to grow 3-4 plants LSTed to screen of green. This is for personal use of course so want to maximise effeciency. 

I am willing to invest R5k more or less in a decent setup that will increase my yield and also down my electricity costs! 

I have checked out local shops and know what their options are, but I am still undecided on "branded, plug and play" spectrum setups like Mars / Californiaworks and a Quantum board / COB setup. I know Californiaworks plug and play are COBS? 

I am not too confident in importing unless someone can guide me through it. 

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks guys

• Like 2

LED's are certainly the way to go and with your budget a Quantum Board will be perfect!

2x QB288's with a maximum draw of around 240w will fill your tent without issues, infact you will likely be running it dimmed, only putting out 120w - 180w so that will certainly save costs compared to your current setup and will without a doubt increase yields.

Locally there are a few places which sell Quantum Boards, however you could get it for less if you are willing to do some DIY and and import - perhaps drop me a PM if you want a bit more info on importing QB's (quantum boards).

• Agree 2

Just now, PsyCLown said:

LED's are certainly the way to go and with your budget a Quantum Board will be perfect!

2x QB288's with a maximum draw of around 240w will fill your tent without issues, infact you will likely be running it dimmed, only putting out 120w - 180w so that will certainly save costs compared to your current setup and will without a doubt increase yields.

Locally there are a few places which sell Quantum Boards, however you could get it for less if you are willing to do some DIY and and import - perhaps drop me a PM if you want a bit more info on importing QB's (quantum boards).

Will definitely give you a shout, appreciate your reply! 

From my experience CFLs are fine for VEG (currently vegging 4 plants) but completely suck in flower. Frosty nugs, sure but they dont get dense and yield is low.  If I can upgrade my light before Flower, will it be fine to swap it out in this grow which was grown with CFLs so far?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nibiru said:

Will definitely give you a shout, appreciate your reply! 

From my experience CFLs are fine for VEG (currently vegging 4 plants) but completely suck in flower. Frosty nugs, sure but they dont get dense and yield is low.  If I can upgrade my light before Flower, will it be fine to swap it out in this grow which was grown with CFLs so far?

Yeah, you can swap out the CFL's for the LED's anywhere during the grow.

If you are going from a particularly low powered light to something really strong, it may be best to gradually increase the power you're giving your plants.

I have not experienced it myself but heard some people had issues with their plants when changing to a stronger light or taking it from a shit indoor light to the sun outdoors, no clue how true this is though.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

LED's are finally here to stay, replaced all my HPS lights with LEDs. I would look more into strip lights as quantum boards don't have ideal spread and create hot spots in the Centre of the canopy. 

Screenshot_20200723_134532_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200723_134524_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200723_134512_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by BlakDogg
Forgot pictures

Hey there@Nibiru. Exciting times.
Advice from one new upgrader to another. I have recently moved from 200w cfl's to 75w led or at least I think it's 75w (@growopz QB75). Anyway do your homework on distance from canopy. I think I burnt my plants from hanging the light to close. I'm hoping it's light burn though and not some sort of deficiency, easier to rectify.
I won't give a distance as I am still trying to find the sweet spot by asking the bud's on the forum and researching.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, DamDave said:

Hey there@Nibiru. Exciting times.
Advice from one new upgrader to another. I have recently moved from 200w cfl's to 75w led or at least I think it's 75w (@growopz QB75). Anyway do your homework on distance from canopy. I think I burnt my plants from hanging the light to close. I'm hoping it's light burn though and not some sort of deficiency, easier to rectify.
I won't give a distance as I am still trying to find the sweet spot by asking the bud's on the forum and researching.

Sent from my DRA-LX5 using Tapatalk

Appreciate the advice. This forum has been so enlightening, I never knew it existed. My 4 x plants are very very happy and healthy under my 285w(1 x 200w 2700k and 80w 6400k) cfl setup during veg (although I have not had another light to compare), but suffers in flower. I cant wait to upgrade.

How is the immediate comparison between cfl and led except for getting used to the light distance? 

1 hour ago, Nibiru said:

Appreciate the advice. This forum has been so enlightening, I never knew it existed. My 4 x plants are very very happy and healthy under my 285w(1 x 200w 2700k and 80w 6400k) cfl setup during veg (although I have not had another light to compare), but suffers in flower. I cant wait to upgrade.

How is the immediate comparison between cfl and led except for getting used to the light distance? 

Growth spurt buddy, thinking I gonna have to make a bigger cabinet.

• Like 1